September 1, 2014 | 1923 users online

Lipstick - Chanel - Rouge Allure Velvet # 39 La Somptueuse

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Gypsylayla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This lipstick is a bit drying but so are a lot of highly pigmented matte lipsticks. I bought a nice balm to put over it for the end of the day.

I also find that you can avoid a lot of issues if you use a lip brush to apply (I bought from Target's Sonia line and it works like a charm for 7 bucks and is retractible). And doing so also helps you control the intensity. For everyday I can apply lightly. For evening I can dial it up.

It is a long wearing lipstick. But I can eat anything off and this is no exception.

I love the color. It's a red but works very well for my olive toned complexion as a reddish neutral when I apply it lightly. Just enough color to brighten, but not so much that it doesn't work with a neutral brown eye.

If you like Mac's Retro, but want something a bit redder, or Bobbi Brown's Raisin but want something brighter with a bit of red, this is a great shade for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2013 12:22:00 AM More reviews by MaisieF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this shade as my 'winter' lipstick, and use it lightly like a lip stain (I apply the lipstick lightly with my finger). I feel glamorous every time I step out wearing this. I really like the texture, and have had no problems with evenness of colour like other reviewers. I'd say its best for a sexy nighttime look.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2013 5:19:00 AM More reviews by michieleclerc

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have that kind of brown skin that red does not go well with, I am indian from the Caribbean. It has been more than 10 years since I wore a red lippy. I found this colour by chance and have to say it is fantastic! I wear it day or night. I am sad to read the other bad reviews because I totally disagree.....This colour glides on so smoothly, it does not dry your lips and it can last through a meal! It is pricey though. I bought MAC Red Enriched liner to go with it and it is a perfect match.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/13/2012 6:25:00 AM More reviews by sadegillam

I tried few colors in different brands in orange red shade.
I fund I really like Chanel velvet No 32.(I only use matte lipstick)
I only tried on my hand which it seems pretty good.
What a surprise for me from Chanel!
The color very UNEVEN( I did try put more on but didn't work), DRY your lips, not last very long when on your lips.
Can't believe what difference on your hand and your lips
AUD$50. What a waste.
Please don't buy.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2012 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Shourek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I normally love and swear by Chanel products, but this was a deception.
First the packaging is awful as over time, the lipstick stays stuck inside the black container, but that has no link to the actual product.
I like matte shades, so I initially thought this would be perfect for me. It wasn't. The formula is actually drying and forms peels on your lips the way cheap lipsticks look.
Also, I have blonde hair and very fair skin, and this shade looks very constrating and blunt in the sunlight (not in the store).
Overall, I am extremely dissappointed with this product. I bought a NARS pure matte lipstick that was WAY better than this. I think Chanel is becoming cheap with their lines, since I saw the quality of many of their products degrade over time.
So for me, this was a failure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2011 8:28:00 PM More reviews by keanash

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Fantastic. An incredible, beautiful colour for day or evening. As a very fair redhead, often red lipsticks turn a dreaded fuchsia on me -- La Somptueuse avoids this entirely. It's a beautifully matte warm, almost bricky red. If you love red lipstick but hate that many of them turn too pink for you, you might try this one. This is an elegant colour that I feel is quite versatile.

The formula is smooth and moisturizing, not at all drying like most matte lipsticks I've tried. I have not worn this an entire day yet, so I suspect there may be some drying, but I can already tell this formula is going the extra moisture mile for a matte lipstick finish. Feels almost like lip balm going on, but I'd recommend a well-prepped and moisturized lip with minimal flaking before wearing any matte lipsticks.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2011 3:11:00 PM More reviews by indoorkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I totally DIDN'T want to love this.

I was picking up some nail polish at the Chanel counter when one of the SAs asked if I'd like to try their new lipstick formula. It was the end of the day and I was going to a romantic dinner with the husband straight from work so I threw caution to the wind and said, sure. I figured it'd be a good opportunity to give it a test run.

So she disinfected and put on the product on me and well, it didn't feel like a matte lipstick. It was more balm-like on the lips. I liked the texture, but I'm not really big into red lipsticks or matte lipsticks, so eh, it didn't blow me away. The SA tried to soften the look with some Rose Tweed blush but it still didn't knock my socks off (which it should, at that price).

I shrugged and figured I could always wipe it off on my way to the restaurant. I thanked the SA for her time and walked out.

Then (foolish kitty!!!) outside, I caught sight of my reflection on a window pane outside, and DUDE. A classy French well-put-together broad in my clothes and my hair looked back at me. She wasn't as fatigued after work like I felt, and looked self-assured and cute. And a little awestruck too, but that was probably just me with my jaw hanging open.

So I went to dinner figuring, eh, it's going to look awful by the end of the meal and I KNOW it'll flake and destroy my lips and damn, it proved me wrong again. It faded evenly to a stain by the end of the night, and my lips were a little dry but not cracked and destroyed like other matte lippies are wont to do.

I regretfully hauled my backside into the store the next day and picked this and the Raffinee one up. And I haven't looked back.

I do have to make sure my lips are in good form before putting this on (not for winter chapped wind-blasted lips!), and I dab balm on underneath if I'm wearing it for a really long really chilly day. I love it a lot though and for a red, it's gotten a lot of mileage.

Would buy again. Regrettably. *sulks at price tag*

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2011 6:11:00 PM More reviews by dundada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

I love the prettiness of all the Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet lipsticks in the ads and pics I've seen for them and that's what initially attracted me. I do love the look of matte lips whether they dry me out or not, but I have to say that these Rouge Allure Velvet lipsticks are surprisingly comfortable. It's lightweight, it doesn't smell at all once it's on, and the taste is quite negligible. Excellent. I think that La Somptueuse, L'Exuberante, and possibly the other darker colors of this line have quite a 'lip stain' quality. People who love the look of lip stains may find that the lip stain markers might dry up in their containers before they know it, so people who want to stain their lips lightly should really take a look at the Chanel Rouge Allure Velvets.

I picked La Somptueuse because although true red is my favorite color I know that La Somptueuse which is dark and warm-based would suit me better than the truer, brighter La Fascinante. I'm a MAC NC45 and a Bobbi Brown Warm Almond. If anybody's undertones are quite a bit yellow-y, they might want to try La Somptueuse. If I were darker and with red or blue undertones then I'd try La Fascinante.

I get good, positive stares from people in the street from women but especially men in La Somptueuse, and people take even more positive notice of me wearing this color at night, and trust me I never wear any revealing, super-sexy numbers these days! LOL

I wear La Somptueuse with MAC Mahogany lip pencil as a habit but I don't need it. I just want an even lip line whenever I wear red lipstick.

UPDATE: This color is gorgeous on me,it is very matte, and I love the packaging but it gets very drying on the lips later on in the day and your lips may peel from the dryness.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2011 9:15:00 AM More reviews by chertovka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This yearīs fall has been extremely generous with beautiful make-up, and the Chanelīs Rouge Allure Velvet collection is no exception.
Iīm pale with distinct yellow undertones (Vitalumiere Aqua in B10) and have full lips, so finding the right red lipstick that is not too cold and blue-ish and doesnīt look too loud - is quite a mission.
But La Somptueuse is pure perfection - the colour is deep red with warmer (brown/orange-based) undertones that looks very elegant, stylish and trendy for fall. And doesnīt make my lips look like they occupy the bigger part of my face. Iīd say it is quite close to Chanelīs Rouge Fatal nail polish in terms of colour.
The texture is matte, but luminous (you cant describe it any other way), feels very light on lips and applies opaque with one swipe, doesnīt need a contour pencil and doesnīt bleed.
It is neither hydrating nor drying, but I always apply a bit of lip balm before I start my make-up routine, and then leave a bit on lips when I put on the lipstick. The result is still beautifully matte, but without any discomfort.
Overall I sincerely recommend La Somptueuse, and the whole Velvet collection as I already got the warm pink-hued La Distinguee #33 which is every bit as beautiful as the first one.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by BunnySlippers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a total lipstick junkie, my fave make-up product ever!
I love matte lipsticks, but I find they usually tend to be very drying. But not this one! The colour is gorgeous and rich, and the lipstick actually feels hydrating. The application is so smooth and the shape of the lipstick makes for a perfect application without needing a lipbrush. I have never had a lipstick that contoured so nicely, and I think the matte look attributes to that.

I chose this colour, since I already have a few bright reds and wanted something with a brownish undertone. I am a product of mixed parents (half Dutch/ half Indian) so I have a medium brown skintone (although a bit on the paler side, with yellow undertone.)

The colour actually lasts for a long time. I am a smoker (yes, I know), and even after a few ciggies, a sandwich and a drink the colour was still there (of course not as potent as before, but still!). The lipstick is a bit more drying than other hydrating lipsticks, it is the price you pay for a matte look, but it isn't bad at all, and I have very dry lips so trust me.

The packaging is very luxurious, what can be expected from chanel, beautiful black casing, with gold top. It has a click mechanism, which I like 'cause the risk of the cap coming off in your bag is less high.

The matte look will be really lovely for fall, and there are diff colours to complement each skintone. Very expensive, but worth the money, will def purchase again!

The weird thing is: I only find Dutch sites that mention this lippie, and in other countries the release date seems to be a lot later. Well, that's a first for me!