October 31, 2014 | 1558 users online

Sunscreen - ECO Logical - Body SPF 30

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by kimliddle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm looking for a good cruelty free sunscreen.

I personally find this product too drying not greasy as others have found.

It also leaves a white cast

I will be looking for a different product as I find this smells absolutely awful, a cross between mould and feet.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2012 10:06:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: I have early rosacea and am very ruddy. Most sunscreens bring out the redness terribly. This actually tones my redness down. I read that zinc could do that. I'm blown away, though. Natural ingredients.

CONS: The smell is odd. It's like a very dusty cardboard scent. But I mean, I put up with Philosophy's wet dog scent in the past. ;) May settle into my lines a bit and getting stuck in my pores somewhat unless I'm SUPER careful in rubbing/patting in. Slightly greasy film left, but I am VERY dry skinned, so it's okay. ****UPDATE: I could not get past that smell. It's one of the least important things to me in skincare, but this time, I couldn't get used to it.

ALTERNATES: Trader Joe's Enrich SPF15 is moisturizing but not greasy at all. When I need 30 or above, I use Hawaiaan Tropic's Silk Hydration or some name like that (but it can clog me if I use it for more than a few days in a row, so I only use it when I'm going to be in the sun a lot that day).

PURCHASING TIPS: I can get this cheaper through places like Vitacost.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2012 11:55:00 PM More reviews by nguyen8733

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My boys hate the smell of this sunscreen and I agree. It does smell pretty bad while you are putting it on. Overall, I think it's expensive for the amount of product you get. I also agree with the other reviewer saying that the tube was filled with a lot of air. I will continue to buy BurnOut again next time.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/31/2012 2:38:00 PM More reviews by lashandbrow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Um Just no. Shiseido here I come.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2011 7:52:00 AM More reviews by judibean

I have been on the quest for a good physical sunblock for awhile now and I still haven't found one that works for me. The Eco Logical body sunblock is not supposed to leave a white cast, but it was noticeable on my light olive skin. It is not supposed to be greasy, but it was extremely, even though I shook the bottle to death to mix it and blended it well into my skin. It also tingled (like an itch) everywhere I put it on for about 10 minutes before subsiding. I don't know what would cause that sensation, maybe the grapeseed oil, since that is supposed to be an irritant. I found that pretty disturbing since I've never had a sunblock do that before. Because of these factors, I tossed the tube after two uses. What a waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a basic all-zinc-oxide sunscreen, no fragrance, good on at least some sorts of sensitive skin. One of the best all-physicals I've used, one of the moistest all-zinc ones (whilst being wearable and not Badger-like), and one of the more cosmetically-elegant sunscreens without silicones. For body, face, and/or eyes depending on your skin.

But it still comes 2nd-best to BurnOut Ocean Tested SPF30+ (also ZnO-only), IMHO, though. The BurnOut has none of Eco Logical's practical / application problems (more on them further on).

Ticks all my sensitive-friendly boxes: no scent, none of my usual irritants and cloggers, no pointless crap–I’m cool with “fillers” when they’re the stuff that binds it all together into a beautiful-feeling whole, especially when it feels this nice–and no cyclopentasiloxane, which my skin loves to hate but sunscreen-makers love to, well, love. Eco Logical also make a face one, that I prefer to this Body one for face.

Tips: the tube needs to be kneaded before use, as this stuff separates badly. Also: apply to bone-dry skin and rub in.

No irritation, which is always a good start, being the first hurdle at which so many well-fancied favourites take a tumble. White, but not whitening on me. Thickish consistency, but emulsifies well between fingers and once applied to dry skin and rubbed in, it sinks in and dries to a smooth slightly silky finish. Not as light as the Face version, but perfectly acceptable--and it is more waterproof, which means, yes, a little thicker and with more oil, to be hydrophobic.

Tested more thoroughly by surfers; partners with the Surfrider Foundation (not to be sneezed at, respectable, etc.). Does the job of protecting: tested out (back in August) in actual sun. Easy to clean off: I found regular cleanser does the job. Unlike my other regular body ones, Blue Lizard and Vanicream, which stay on well in water and if sweating but are super-tenacious.

UPDATE: tested out fully swimming in the Pacific Ocean. Not as waterproof as BurnOut Ocean Tested, nor as easy to reapply after. Can really seriously only be applied and rubbed into dry skin; disasters if you try using it on damp (and sandy) skin, or try reapplying it to a sweaty face. Result: a patchy layer of grease that then runs off. Bonus: poor protection from sun.

Good around the eyes: skin stays moist, doesn't run into eyes (or, if it doesn't, it's not irritating), and makeup applies fine. Though I'm not using much.

Very good winter sunscreen for face, in extremely cold dry weather (Canada).

Packaging: recyclable, in a decent practical squeezy bottle that stands on its flip-top lid. Major quibbles:

1. the same for the face version: the tube's only about half-full. I suspect the manufacturers have bought packaging that was a size too big–fair enough, better that than too small–and there would also be sense in under-filling so as to allow room for, I don’t know, contents settling but being shakable-upable? the stuff expanding in hot weather? The issue will apparently be remedied in next year's batch (as per the manufacturers' contributions to a Skin Care Talk discussion thread).

2. you need to squidge the stuff around in the tube, as it separates. Not practical on the beach. May cause SOs to swear.

3. Goes off too fast.

Cruelty-free; environmentally-friendly, biodegradable, and reef-hugging. That also translates as: disperses well in water when cleaning off, without worrying about the consequences for the rest of known life; though the face version is not as waterproof as the body and baby ones–their oil content allows for greater adhesion to skin.

Australian aspects: like Blue Lizard, it’s formulated to satisfy Australian standards (though the BL isn't actually Australian). Further: while the company (Eco Skin Care Inc.) is based in the US (San Clemente, CA), the sunscreen itself is “product of Australia” and “manufactured by Baxter Laboratories Pty, Melbourne Australia.” No preservatives, but not just for the usual knee-jerk reasons, to satisfy scientifically-ignorant squeaky-green consumers: they're using a low-water formula, and there's basically nothing in the stuff for bacteria to feed on. The zinc is micro, and coated with a coconut-derived biodegradable covering (rather than the usual silicones in most of the Z-cote family).

Quibble: greenwash alert, issues with use of “all-natural” and LOL at “logical”: nope, it’s a sunscreen, inanimate, unthinking. Its reflective abilities are limited to physically blocking solar radiation. Sure, it’s “common sense for the environment” and “economically sensible”: but dear sweet manufacturers: next time, consult a dictionary--cheaper than marketing consultants and execs...

Price: depending on source, around $15.00-20.00 for 3.5 oz and $23.00-26.00 for the 5.3 oz bottle. A fair price, fairly standard for this volume and this kind of sunscreen; very cheap compared to spa /derm etc. brands, "green" sunscreens that aren't as good in terms of performance or aesthetics.

INGREDIENTS: Active ingredient: Zinc Oxide 22%
Inactive ingredients: Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Silicon Dioxide, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Butyrospermum Parkii Seed (Shea) Butter, Euphorbia Antisyphilitica (Candelilla) Wax, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba), Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Seed Extract*, Rosa Canina (Rosehips) Seed Oil*, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract*. continued >>

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2011 7:09:00 AM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is for the Eco SPF 30+ (Face) version. This is a water based, mineral sunscreen with non nano Zinc Oxide (20%) as an active ingredient which I prefer over chemical sunscreens. I wanted something I can use on my face for casual sun exposure so when I saw this at my local Whole Foods it seemed like a good buy.

The good: Worked really well in preventing me from getting color. I have medium/tan skin tone that tans easily but hardly burns. Most US chemical sunscreens I've used in the past always give me color by the end of the day no matter how much/how often I reapply. I'm in Hawaii where the UV index is high and I wore this on my face in direct sunlight for about an hr and did NOT get darker at all. Also, this sunscreen did not cause me to break out. I have acne prone skin and most ss break me out within 2 days. I wore this for about a week and so far has not caused a single break out. It's very light in texture and did not feel heavy on my face, unlike my other sunscreen (Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion spf60) which I can always feel on my face. It goes on somewhat greasy at first but the greasiness subsides after a few minutes to leave a semi matte, dewy and sort of powdery finish that stayed that way for about 8 hrs. It did not sting my eyes even when worn on my eyelids.

The bad: It left major white cast on my face. As I said above, I have medium/tan skin tone and used the proper amount (about 1/4 teaspoon) for my face but no matter how much I blend or how long I wait for the sunscreen to "sink" in, the white cast is still there and quite visible. The only way I could get it to work somewhat is to apply a dusting of mineral powder to it since I don't wear foundation. Also, it was quite pricey for the actual amount of product you get. On the tube it says 1.8 oz but the tube itself seemed deceptively bigger than it should be for that amount. As a result, it looked as though my brand new tube was less than half full.
Conclusion: Not cosmetically elegant for my tan complexion because of the white cast. It may not be visible on someone with very fair skin but it's definitely noticeable on me. I will use it up around the house when I don't have to be anywhere but I won't be repurchasing mainly because it's unwearable for me and quite expensive for so little product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2011 12:46:00 AM More reviews by hjjung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

One word: GREASY!!!! This sunscreen is probably among the most disappointing I've tried. There are cheaper and better products out there with ingredients just as safe. It's a very thick sunscreen, so it takes some time to blend in and I have to tug at my skin to apply evenly. It does leave a greasy residue that is HARD TO WASH OFF (I always find myself painfully scrubbing my body with loofah whenever I use this) and whenever I touch any skin parts that have the sunscreen on, I can feel the residue on my hands. However, that is not the reason why I won't repurchase. I'm very disappointed in this particular company because my tube of Body SPF 30 came half full.

When it first arrived, the tube looked brand new and my 3.5 oz tube looked full, until I started squeezing out to test it on my body. When I pressed the tube, air came out instead of the sunscreen itself, and after all the air has been squeezed out of the tube, my brand new sunscreen looked less than half-full. I've only used it once and I'm pretty darn sure there's only about 1 oz of product left. If ECO Logical wants to be an honest company and sell products decently, they better start filling up their tubes with the product instead of air. I feel like I've been ripped off and I will not purchase again.