December 28, 2014 | 1028 users online

Skincare - Body - Palmer's - Skin Smoothing Lotion with AHA/BHA

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2014 11:21:00 AM More reviews by Jenny8675

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This lotion was originally packaged in a teal bottle and was a "smoothing" lotion. I loved it and was the best lotion I'd ever used. The results were fantastic and it smelled great. Now that the product is reformulated and called an "anti-aging" lotion, I hate it. The lotion itself still does wonders for dry skin but the smell is HORRIBLE. I can't even describe the odor. I don't know why the fragrance was changed but this will prevent me from buying this product again. I've been a long time Palmer's customer but I'm going to have to find something else just because of the terrible smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 9:29:00 AM More reviews by MissOrthodox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I didn't like this because it didn't moisturise very well, I now know this is due to the Alpha Hydroxy Acids it contains which can be drying to the skin.

I got around this by using BP Emulsifying Ointment in the shower - this is perfect because it doesn't stop other products penetrating through to the skin whilst its protects and locks in moisture.

I love this cream. So much so I've stocked up with a further 3 bottles just incase it gets discontinued.

Why I love It!

0. It contains natural exfoliants i.e. salicylic acid, lactic acid

1. It got rid of the bumps on the back of my thighs

2. It has stopped ingrown hairs on my bikini line, thighs and legs

3. It has SIGNIFICANTLY smoothened my skin all over, my skin now glows

4. It has lightened the dark pores on my legs (AKA 'Strawberry legs')

5. Used as a hand cream it has softened my hands

6. My boyfriend has noticed that my skin is much softer and smoother

I can see myself using this for many years to come, providing my body does not become immune.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 4:54:00 AM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I already reviewed this for the teal bottle, which in my opinion was far superior to the new anti aging version in the white bottle. I loved the teal one but it wasn't available in NZ so I had to buy from eBay and it was costly. The new version I can get at my local store for $12.50 which is a lot better, but that's where that ends.
The new smell is about 100x worse, I can't even describe it, but it just stinks. I use this lotion primarily on my legs because that's where I get bumps and redness and the new one does a pretty good job at keeping them smooth but they're not as soft and smooth as when I was using the teal version.
I will keep up with this bottle over summer and see if it starts building up to work better, if not I may have to go back to purchasing on eBay again (if I can still find it!!).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Good body lotion, it keeps my skin very soft and minimalises ingrown hairs on my legs after waxing. The only con is the fragrance, it's very masculine.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/30/2013 3:52:00 PM More reviews by DPolina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used to really like the old formula that came in the teal bottle. Although a bit smelly, it helped with my KP and the skin on my arms was almost normal. For the price it was absolutely great. They seem to have discontinued it (at least in the UK) and replaced with a new lotion called 'Anti-aging Smoothing' which comes in a white bottle. Unfortunately I had to through away the bottle after two days because the smell is so unbearable. It almost makes me physically sick. I bought as many bottles of the old stock as I could lay my hands on and I only have 1 left. Back to the drawing board after that. Palmer's, please fix the smell!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2013 10:22:00 AM More reviews by juwel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

OK I am torn over this product. On the one hand, it is soooo stinky and so bad for you in terms of nasty chemical ingredients. On the other hand, it absolutely works like nothing else! I'm not sure if I'll buy it again, but here's my experience using it.

I bought this because of the reviews here saying it helped with keratosis pilaris, which I have on the back of my arms. I'm pretty sure that twice-daily applications after showering for almost two months have greatly improved my kp - most of the bumps have smoothed down but the hyperpigmentation remains and it still doesn't look normal. I will use up my bottle to see if my kp can improve further with this, but at the moment it doesn't seem to be getting any better (it's maybe 60-70% better). I'm also hesitant about using this lotion long-term because of the whole host of nasties in the chemical formulation. Also, the smell!!

I also used this on my bacne, and after the same amount of time, it has completely cleared up! This is a huge deal for me. I had thought bacne was just something I was going to have to live with. Now I'm trying to lighten the dark brown acne spots left behind and this seems to be happening too! And another unexpected plus point is my immunization scars have gotten a lot less noticeable as a side effect of using the lotion, so this is all pretty miraculous for me. I'm hoping that once I've eliminated my acne and uneven skin tone, I can stop using the product, fingers crossed, because the smell really is terrible.

I also tried using this to fade acne marks on my jawline, and this works well - almost overnight, but I try to do this sparingly (I don't get much facial acne anyway) because the aha's increase sun sensitivity.

So... what to do. This is a very stinky, very chemical (filled with parabens, with a very high ewg skin deep toxicity rating), but very effective lotion. I will definitely use up my bottle, and continue to monitor progress on the kp, but despite how effective it's been I hope I won't have to use this long term.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2012 11:57:00 AM More reviews by PremierT

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was excited by the AHA/BHA contents and wanted a product that would help make my skin very soft and well moisturised. I used this as a daily after shower all over body lotion for a few weekst.

I found the flip top annoying because you have to use a nail to flick it open. And the flat wide bottle means holding it upside down to get the product out isn't the easiest, especially if you're in a steamy bathroom or already have moisturiser on your hands. The lotion didn't have much of a scent and it certainly didn't leave any on the skin after application but did have a more 'chemical' type smell than the classic coco butter Palmer does.

The formula itself is thin to average thickness for a body lotion and sinks in right away. I noticed after a few weeks that the skin on my legs was very very smooth but also tight feeling and extremely dry. So whatever else it might be good for this is a moisturiser that doesn't moisturise. In fact it actively dried my skin out. I'd have been better off using nothing at all. I would not repurchase or recommend it to anyone for anything.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 12:21:00 PM More reviews by juaini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had been searching desperately for a reasonably priced, effective chemical exfoliator at the drugstore after Olay discontinued their BHA face lotion here (doesn't seem be popular around these parts; right now only the fancy French brands like Vichy and Avene seem to have any and they are $$ and tiny, and DHC's BHA toner doesn't seem to do anything!! should write a review for that too).

This lotion contains lactic acid, salicylic acid, fruit enzymes and Vit E. It isn't the most moisturising lotion in the world, but if you are looking for a cheap drugstore exfoliator that really, really works, Palmer is your man. I use this on my face and the results it gives me makes me easily forgive the horrible cheap-cologne scent. I started breaking out in cystic acne again about 6 months post-Accutane but this has helped SO much to bring my skin back under control that now, I hardly have any more breakouts, and my scars are fading away.

I've just bought a second bottle after finishing an entire bottle just for my face, and I pray to the gods of Watson and Caring that they don't stop carrying this.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2012 8:51:00 AM More reviews by hambari

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

well my third day using it. bought it in africa almost double the price its sold in States or UK. i guess i like what it promises to do. I am excited to see some of the results people are raving about. 3 days into using it
(and scrubbing i should add) my skin does feel smoother. am waiting for scars and kp on my knees elbows and back to go. will keep everyone posted

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2012 7:48:00 AM More reviews by dvdfjojo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

OH MY GOD! This stuff is brilliant. I've been using it everywhere, even my face, for the past few weeks and my skin has never felt so soft and beautiful. It's permanent too, I get out of the shower and it's still soft and hydrated. Hubby has noticed how soft my skin is feeling too. I'm not too keen on the smell of the product but I've never known anything really work as well as this before. Absolute HG product and a bargain too.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No