August 28, 2014 | 1207 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. IV

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2014 3:22:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie707

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this pallet! The quality of Urban Decay eyeshawdows are like no other! Gorgeous!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2014 11:38:00 PM More reviews by laurenhager

These colors are very rich and great quality but very glittery (which I don't like). The packaging is obnoxious.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 4:01:00 AM More reviews by kirito

I sort of bought this product on a whim. I already own the Naked 2 and 3 palettes, so I didn't ever consider purchasing other eyeshadows from Urban Decay besides the original Naked palette, but I thought this was a pretty good deal, considering that you get sixteen eyeshadows, a full sized liquid liner, a primer potion, mascara, and...speakers? (I honestly thought that the speakers were random.)

As always, the Urban Decay eyeshadows are of great quality. They're super pigmented and velvety, and last for a very long time. The eyeshadows are practical, with the exception of Kiddie Pool and Hijack for my personal taste. Also, some of the shades in this Book of Shadows are from the original Naked palette, which I like, since I don't own that palette. I love the fact that this Book of Shadows includes a full sized liquid liner, plus the travel sized mascara and primer potion. For $32, I feel that this was a good deal for a high end makeup product.

The only issue I have with this is the extremely bulky packaging. I feel that the shades included in this book would be great to travel with, but since it's packaged in a bulky box, that's definitely not happening. Other than that, great product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

One of the best purchases for 2013. I am so happy I didn't pass on this. Full size liner in Perversion, mascara, ear buds, keychain speaker, and wire. this also has a cute butterfly popup next to the mirror and the little drawer with the shadows pulls out.

The shadows are gorgeous s usual. My favorite in here is Missionary and I hope they make it a single soon. A very pretty nude color with a light shimmer.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by UrbanFacedMacnamedNYX

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I love the colors and how easy they blend. I love the fact that you get a full size liquid liner. They colors all go together so you have SO MANY options on eye looks from natural to smokey and everything in between. I dont like the chunky box. its pretty but not that functional. I charged the speaker that came with hit and it still doesnt work.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2013 1:39:00 AM More reviews by UbiquityEssence

Love the shadows! Only complaint is the package not very travel friendly.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2013 10:03:00 AM More reviews by cherrryyyx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Urban Decay palettes are amazing value for money, and this one is no exception. The shadows are all beautiful - although I don't use them all, but let's face it everyone has their favourites colours in a palette and neglects the others. Sin is a beautiful colour that reminds me a little of all that glitters by mac. It can be used for just all over the lid for an everyday look, or can be dressed up with a darker colour in the crease and outer corner and some eyeliner. Zephyr is a great colour for the inner corner, it brightens the eyes but it's still suitable for the day, it's a white-ish colour but the slight gold in it doesn't make it look scary on the eyes. Skimp could also be used as an inner corner colour, it's a peachy toned colour although I find the texture of this very chalky. Crystal is also a really nice inner corner colour for the summer, it's nice for just a touch of blue for colour. Gravity is a purple that I absolutely adore! I love Midnight Rodeo and Bust too. All the colours are beautiful but those would be my honourable mentions.

Moving on to the packaging, which is this product's downfall. ITS SO BULKY AND IMPRACTICAL. This was a Christmas gift, so when I first opened it and seen the pretty butterflies, the mirror and all the gimmicky thingsI thought WOW what a great gift, then as time went on I started to hate the impracticality of it. I also really don't get the thing you plug your ipod in to, it's not that great. I wasn't a fan of the tutorials, I would much rather just stick to Tanya Burr and Pixiwoo, thanks. In other news I like the mascara it comes with, as well as the primer potion. The eyeliner is decent too.

As much as I love the colours in this palette, I wouldn't repurchase because of the size, I'd rather try out another UD palette.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I received this as a gift and was thrilled to get it. I'm usually too broke for Urban Decay, so it is a real treat whenever I get my hands on some of their great eye shadows (I use the Naked 1 palette religiously).

The formula of the shadows is consistent with all UD shadows (in my experience): the shimmery ones are beautiful and well pigmented, the glittery ones have big chunky specs of glitter that show up more than the pigment does, and the matte ones are decently pigmented but sort of chalky in texture. Depending on what sort of looks you like to do, this set provides a lot of options. I usually go more for neutrals/bronze shades or purples, but I've grown to love Lost (medium grayish with a hint of purple), Bust (subtle silver) and Missionary (light silver purple). It is not easy to find gray-toned shadows that are flattering on my warm, pale complexion, but these actually are. Baked, Bender and Cobra are all quite pretty as well. The more glittery shades - the Midnight shades, etc. - are not my favorites because there is a lot of confetti glitter fallout. To be honest, I haven't tried the other shades yet because they are not really in my wheelhouse.

Onto the other things: the curling mascara is not great (I have a separate review for that you can check out for more details), and the liner is good - if you like waterproof (ditto review for that). I don't use primer, but it is the standard UD primer everyone seems to love, but I'm sure it's great (I gave it to a friend who swear by the stuff).

The box is my biggest complaint about this set. It's freakin' huge, and inconvenient and you either have to leave it out, cluttering up your stuff, or put it away in a drawer and forget it's there because it's not with your other makeup. It's got a speaker and earphones and all of this other technological crap included, for watching their tutorials I guess, but all that really just bulks up the whole package and I'd rather just have the shadows in a sleek palette.

The bottom line is if you're into doing lots of dramatic looks with different colors and you love tutorials and all that, this is probably a great set you'll love. If not, you can probably skip this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2013 9:00:00 PM More reviews by belovedhope

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this for $29 off HauteLook, so I'm basing my review off this price point. Totally worth it!! Love the color selection, love the mascara (SuperCurl), and of course, can't go wrong with the travel-size UDPP. Yes, the packaging is awkward and comes with too much fluff (e.g. the pop-up butterflies/the keychain), but I think everything that's in the packaging is quality. My favorite colors are Lost (dark matte brown), Cobra (they say it's matte black with gold micro-glitter, but I see it as a shimmery olive-black), and Sin (pinky-champagne). Oh, and you also get a full-size 24/7 Liquid Eyeliner in Perversion, which might be my most-used item out of everything in this box.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2012 10:44:00 PM More reviews by missbrightside08

I really like this palette overall. Great variety of colours, and since I only wear neutrals, I only use a few of them and stay away from the bolder colours. Of course like all the UD shadows, they are very pigmented and smooth, and stay for a very long time. The only bad thing about this is the bulky and awkward packaging. Its really hard to pull out the shadows palette from the box and it gets stuck a lot. The whole box is a bit too large and bulky for me. I love how it comes with the eyeliner, primer, and mascara (which is great!). The price very reasonable too! Got it as a gift, but I looked online and they are selling for $30