August 20, 2014 | 1859 users online

Polishes - Butter London - Bluey

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2014 6:17:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Whenever I wear Bluey I think "mermaid"; It is lovely dark-but-slightly-bright teal, with green and blue shimmer. I just love this shade - it's the only polish where I just 'had' to put it on as soon as I got home after buying it, and I have since worn it a few more times even though I have a ton of untrieds to go through.

I've removed a lippie as this is a bit of a pain to apply - the first coat tends to be a bit gloppy and uneven and whilst two coats usually balances out any unevenness and gets the shade completely opaque, sometimes three coats is needed for covering the last bit of patchiness. It's not a major hassle and the finished look is very pretty, so it's worth the bit of extra time for me.

The formula is quick to dry (within three minutes). Using my usual base and top coat, this polish will last me anywhere between two to four days with only minimal wear. But as I'm a self powered wheelchair user I'm tough on my hands and am always catching my nails, so I can't really speak for how long lasting the formula is overall.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 4:32:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

I can't believe I'm giving one lippie to a Butter London polish but I didn't like anything about this one at all. It was so thin and streaky, it took 3 coats to look halfway decent. And the color was just blah, although that's a matter of personal taste. Bluey is a dark shimmery teal, just nothing special in my opinion. It wasn't pretty or interesting or fun. Looked murky on my nails, but I thought the same thing about Deborah Lippmann Across the Universe so I guess I just don't like dark teal.
Butter London is still my favorite brand and I will continue to buy their polishes but this shade gets a thumbs down from me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/21/2012 7:17:00 PM More reviews by Melzy323

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have to tell you, I am underwhelmed with the entire Butter London line. The colors look gorgeous (in the bottle anyway) and the names are too cute but the lasting power of these polishes - even with the BL base and top coat - is a 2-4 days. I might as well have bought a ds polish instead of a $15 dollar one. Bluey is a perfect example of this. Sublimely gorgeous, glittery, deep teal color! Looks like a couture color! But doesn't last - chips after 1-2 days. So sad... In their desire to be "3-free" and fashion forward, BL has sacrificed formulation for wear. Unless you're a color fiend, save your money and buy equally gorgeous Zoya pushes. BL also loses points for beautiful but wasteful packaging.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2011 10:15:00 AM More reviews by sweetpea1283

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

the color applied a lot lighter/more sheerly than i wanted when i tested-so i dug out my old chanel black satin and layered it over black - awesome dark shimmery green color. also looks awesome over essie mesmerized (a french blue). also looks nice with several coats on its own, but def a little brighter than the bottle looks.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2011 6:11:00 AM More reviews by missnewname

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I first saw a bottle of this color it looked like the best shimmery dark teal ever. I thought it would be indigo with an emerald shift. But I have it on my nails now and it's just a regular blue-green teal. It's emerald-y but lacks the depth I was expecting from its appearance in the bottle. It also applies very sheerly. Maybe with 4 coats I'd get a hotter color but meh, I don't want to deal with accidental smudges and impossible drying time. The formula is nice and I like that it's free of carcinogenic ingredients, but $14 is a lot to pay for a polish. I'll have to see how it works layered over darker colors. Stay tuned.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2011 6:14:00 PM More reviews by JuliaLee67

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

A gorgeous medium peacock/teal shimmer. The first coat went on a bit streaky, but two coats gave full opacity and the 'in the bottle' shade. This polish lasted a long time on my nails, with just a bit of mild tip wear after 4 or 5 days, and did not stain my nails. No doubt there are a few cheaper dupes of this shade out there, but the staying power of BL's polishes make them worth the money, in my opinion.