Alba Botanica Very Emollient Facial Sunblock 30

4.3

Not tested on animals

EDIT April 2015--- This is still my favorite sunscreen for the face! However, it's super hard to find at Whole Foods. I was worried that it was being discontinued, but I found you can find it on Amazon. :)

Original Review:

Wow, how I love this sunscreen.

I had written a very positive review two years ago for "L'Oreal - Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen Liquid Silk Sunshield For Face SPF 50" as this had been my go-to sunscreen under make-up for quite some time. However, now I have some issues where my skin is very dry in some areas and only a bit oily in my T-zone. I also now breakout a lot easier than I used to. While I like the L'Oreal Sublime Liquid Silk Sunshield sunscreen, it is not helpful for dry patches on my face and it tends to make those areas worse (especially with make-up on top). It was better when I had oilier skin.

This sunscreen is fantastic if you have dry to normal skin and are acne prone. It does have a little bit of physical block (titanium dioxide) but it is very low at 1% and so there really isn't much of a white cast. This is great for pictures. The rest of the block is chemical----so this isn't necessarily a very "natural" sunscreen. However, the ingredients have worked well for my skin. It truly does not break me out, and some of the natural extracts listed in the inactive ingredients really do seem to be helping my skin. I am trying to become more vigilant about wearing sunscreen daily, especially in the summer, as I do have some melasma (pigmentation) that the sun makes worse.

The name of the sunscreen is true----it is VERY emollient and if you are wearing it daily, you probably will need powder. I use a powder foundation, and I find this sits beautifully under it. I don't need a moisturizer under make-up with this sunscreen. I do agree with some reviewers that it can feel a little bit heavier than other facial sunscreens, but if you have dry to normal skin, you may really like this. Hydrated skin, after all, has a glow to it and looks healthy. If you already have oily skin, this may not be the sunscreen for you.

on 5/20/2014 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I found this at Winners (Canadian version of TJ Maxx) and decided to give it a try because of its all natural claims and the fact that it is fragrance free. I wore it for about 10 days and while it's not terrible, I think there are better sunscreen lotions out there. It's very rich and creamy, which winds up feeling heavy on my face. I can feel it there all day, and it makes my face look shinier than usual, which I don't enjoy. It also has a tendency to ball up when I wear it over my usual moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel), and it's difficult to put foundation over top because it has a noticeably greasy feel on the skin. My Olay SPF 30 daily moisturizer for sensitive skin has a much lighter texture and it never balls up or feels heavy or greasy.

I decided to keep the bottle for use on my body, especially some pigmentation I have on my chest from a pimple I picked (don't ever do that!) and it seemed to be doing the trick for about a week, but I woke up this morning with new blemishes all right next to the pigmentation where I've been applying the sunscreen. I may use the rest of the bottle for my arms and legs, but it doesn't seem to work for my face or chest.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Before purchasing this product I was using the Eucerin facial sunblock SPF 15. It was in a lotion form which was not hydrating enough. I've seen Alba Botanica skincare @ Whole Foods so I figured it must be a good product. It is quite emollient which is exactly what I wanted because my skin is dry. I use this before applying my foundation. Some facial sunblocks leave a white cast because of the titanium dioxide. This one does not. The flip top cap is very user friendly. I did not buy mine @ Whole Foods. I bought it from an on-line website & paid only about $7!! I saved approx. $4. I don't use it everyday. However, I do use it every time I wear makeup. I'm pleased that the expiration date is 2016!!

on 2/12/2014 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I got lucky with this bad boy. So I was looking for a natural facial moisturizer with SPF30 or more. I'd say the majority of facial moisturizers are lower than 30. I was getting ready to shell out $50+ for a moisturizer, with SPF25-30, when one night I went into Winners. If you're not familiar with Winners I'm pretty sure it's similar to T-Jay Max, where stock isn't consistent. I always have a look at their cosmetics, to see what they have, when I found this for $7. About this time I did the equation in my head, the reality was, I wanted the SPF, I didn't need the moisture, because in fact, this is a sun screen NOT a moisturizer. So I scooped it up. FINALLY natural Sun protection without costing a fortune. What's more is while it is NOT a moisturizer, it does supply me with a little more moisture. I'm not crazy about the packaging, and it could be the packaging itself, or me adjusting to it.

on 4/2/2013 8:58:00 AM

I have been using this for a couple of weeks and am happy with it

I had been looking for a good cruelty free sunscreen

I initially tried Eco Logical which I had to discontinue because of the foul smell

This one goes on easily and is scent free.

It does have a bit of a white cast but there again most sunscreens do

I like the texture and foundation goes on easily after application.

Also a reasonable price

I've since found out that this has poor UVA protection

This is a link to the EWG's 2013 review of sunscreens which is useful

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I wasn't a big fan of this sunscreen. It's not a bad product if you aren't putting makeup on top, however I wear makeup everyday and it tends to ball up with the combination of moisturizer and foundation. Additionally I have a hard time working it into my skin and have a whiteish cast for a while until it completely absorbs. I like the fact that it has no parabens and all that, but it's not for me.

on 9/1/2012 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Best sun block I've had yet, roughly $11 in my organic food store. Good, balmy finish, doesn't irritate my sensitive eczema skin in the least, doesn't oxidize.

on 7/31/2012 4:41:00 PM

I bought it because it got a safe rating by the Environmental Working group's evaluation of sunscreens. My skin does not react to it at all, a plus, however it does leave a white cast. I have to put foundation on otherwise I look like a geisha. With the foundation it's okay.

on 5/31/2012 4:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have very fair skin with rosacea, and this sunblock does the trick without causing any flareup reactions that I am prone to have with some products.

It is wonderfully creamy, so it's a one-step process for me (prior to foundation), as far as both moisturizer and sunblock which settles in quite nicely, as it's never oily or sticky.

on 5/2/2012 4:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I've been using this sunscreen for nearly a year. I like it because it is very moisturizing, not greasy, and doesn't leave a white cast. I got it on sale at Whole Foods for like 7 bucks. I also use shiseido 55+ and have tried a variety of DS brands. The ones from Neutrogena and Avene always irritated my skin; I am very sensitive around my nose due to Retin A.

I would say I nearly always grab this sunscreen in the morning. I would choose the Shiseido if I wanted to wear primer that day, because I would want a more matte canvas. The Alba definitely has more creamy feel and I wouldn't really want to put primer over it.