MAC Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation

3.7

(Original formulation - September 2011): ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Octinoxate 3.40%, Titanium Dioxide 1.00% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Butylene Glycol, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Algae Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Dipropylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Laureth-7, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Dimethicone/Peg-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Peg-10 Crosspolymer, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone Silylate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Chloroxylenol, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, [ /- Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288)]

on 7/24/2015 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Uuuuummm I don't know what I was expecting, the review looked soo good, stating that it adjusts to suit your skin tone and all of that nonsense. Ok maybe it does but this foundation was £30.00 in the uk. 30. I'm sorry but if a foundation is 30 pound plus and my skin is not resembling the quality of Kim kardasihan west then it is nonesense. This is not special and is not worth any hype. It's mediocre and it closely resembles the studio fix in finish so if u have the studio fix and are thinking about purchasing this product think again my friend THINK AGAIN. It's not that this foundation is bad, it's not bad I wear it on a day to day basis, it has a matte finish looks good enough covers my imperfections buuuuuuuuuuttt there's nothing that tells you yep that foundation has to be expensive it's that good, my friends comment on my makeup looking good but trust me that's just down to my skills not this foundation. £30 of pure mediocrity that is what mac matchmaster is. I mix it with mac face and body and sunbeam by benefit just to give it the life it should have had for stealing 30 pounds out of my birthday money. I understand why some people might like it but this just isn't for me and sure if you have 30 pounds just to be frittering away then go ahead but this product😑😐 I am not content at all with it ( sombre shake of head)

on 7/19/2015 6:40:00 AM

I love this foundation. I have oily skin and acne. I thought I needed foundations with more coverage, but it turned out I didn't need them at all. This foundation feels very light on the skin. If I run out I would buy this again, but I like to try other foundations as well.

on 7/6/2015 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I originally wanted to purchase MAC's Pro Longwear foundation but they didn't have a shade light enough for me. Instead, I decided to go with Matchmaster because they did have my shade. It is described on the MAC website as having a "demi-matte" finish, but I disagree. (Btw, I use a beautyblender to apply my foundation).
To make this review easier to read, I'll write my concerns in bullet point format:
- I have oily skin (being a teenager) and within a couple hours of application (I use setting powder and a light layer of spray as well) I would be oily.
- Even though I used Benefit's Porefessional over my worst pores, this foundation seemed to find a way to make them look gross and odd. Like, foundation was missing from very small areas around my pores- it didn't seem to stay on. The foundation has settled into my pores but worn off around them.
- Without a primer, it probably wouldn't.
- By the end of the day it just look gross. It had worn away on my oiliest patches, and was beyond shiny. Touch ups didn't matter. I might as well have not even bothered.

I have yet to find a foundation that I love. This is not a very good foundation for someone with oily skin. Dry, maybe. Normal, maybe. But not oily.

on 5/18/2015 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I really like this foundation. I've been using it for about a month and no break outs. Thats a big plus. It lasts all day and the coverage is moderate. Build-able. I really like it. Will purchase again.

on 5/16/2015 2:30:00 AM

I frequently try new foundations (always in hopes to find that Holy grail game changer) and Id have to say out of all the ones I've tried: nars, Laura mercier, dior , smashbox, too faced, UD, etc Mac always has me coming back. And it's one of the few Id repurchase for the co$t. match master is def one of my faves !!!has great coverage yet natural. Nice balance of keeping a fresh dewy finish w/out looking too shiny. all in all, def on my top 3 favs!

on 5/13/2015 8:49:00 PM

This is my new favorite foundation. I love the way it makes my skin look without having to use much of it. It is kind of pricey but you get what you pay for and I don't mind it. It does a great job. Only cons I can think of is if you aren't yellow toned it won't work well with you, also sometimes it tends to stick to dry patches.

on 5/4/2015 7:22:00 PM

I've been looking for a light-weight foundation to replace my Smashbox BB cream. I wanted something that provided decent coverage while looking natural (i.e. not like a painted face/mask), did not oxidise or cause breakouts and did not settle in to pores/fine lines. I got burnt by Lancome Teinte Miracle - while it looked beautiful on my skin, it contains high levels of alcohol in its ingredients which is very damaging/drying to skin. My skin is already on the dry side so I made sure I did a lot of research before forking out over $50 for a product again.

So far, MAC Matchmaster SPF 15 foundation has not disappointed. The colour (1) is a great match for my pale skin, though I might try 1.5 shade next time. It goes on smoothly (I use a foundation brush) and one pump is enough for my face. It provides medium, even coverage but this is buildable - I do find I need to dab a little bit more product on to any blemishes to cover them up. No breakouts so far and no oxidation after wearing for over 8 hours. I will update if anything changes with continued use.

My main gripe with MAC has always been their prices but the bottle is quite large so I suspect it will last a long time, even with daily wear. Overall, I highly rate this product!

Pros:
- excellent range of shades from very fair to dark (01 is a great match for me)
- easy to apply and blend in to skin
- natural looking matte finish
- light-weight formula with medium coverage
- does not settle in to pores or fine lines
- alcohol-free formula
- no oxidisation

Cons:
- pricey as far as foundations go ($59 AUS per bottle)

EDIT - have been using this product for a few weeks now. Still loving it. Love love love!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is an HG product for me!!! I have to say that I am quite surprised!! I have a few MAC foundations, while they have been fine, there always seems to be something wrong. I enjoy MAC F&B a lot, but sometimes I want a more polished coverage. And Studio Fix Fluid is just too heavy...I like the finish and lasting power, however. Matchmaster is just perfect for me. Great staying power, medium coverage, and a neutral tone all make this an excellent foundation!! I highly recommend!!

on 4/20/2015 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I find it so difficult to find a foundation that matches my skin colour perfectly and naturally without looking too done up. I have been looking for one to wear on a daily basis with enough coverage to cover some acne scars. In the London Selfridge's MAC store the artist tried studio sculpt on one side and match master in No. 5 on the other and I felt the studio sculpt made me look too shiny and oily for every day wear but the match master seemed to blend in perfectly with my skin tone so I bought it. Originally another artist matched me to Match master no.6 that made me look way to orange so I was unsure about trying no.5, although it comes on looking a little lighter after its blended it matches perfectly.

After a few uses though I have found this foundation to be quite dry and emphasises the dry patches on my skin more and the lines under my eyes. Some of which I didn't even know I had til I tried this on! This is quite frustrating, although after an hour or so things do seem to change when maybe my skin gets a little oilier over the day. My skin is a combination of dry and oily areas. Even after moisturising well and using a primer I still find it emphasises dry areas on the side of my nose too much.

I generally use a beauty blender for my foundation but this foundation is quite tricky I found without a foundation brush. It needs to be quickly blended before it dries and topping up is difficult because of the colour changes I'm the foundation, I felt that if I topped up a bit later it made me look patchy. It may be that I am a shade between No.5 and 6 or that I just have the wrong skin type. Oily skins may benefit more from this foundation and its such a shame because I was sure this was the one! The colour is awesome.

on 4/15/2015 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Tried this a few times and I don't really like it honestly.
It's a less pigmented version on studio fix fluid.
I can easily sheer studio fix fluid if I wanted so I don't see much of a point of this.
Studio fix fluid is $27 and this was $35
If I sheer out the studio fix it'll end up lasting longer and cheaper in the long run as well.
As for the whole "matchmaster" aspect.
Not a fan, I don't know why I bothered with it. I started using MAC BECAUSE of the fact they have shades that are good for yellow toned skin.
I was sick of drugstores and the light, medium, dark shades.
I'm yellow/olive tone that's a light/medium shade.
I'm usually NC25/NC30.
When I wore this it was just too peach. A very common issue I had with drugstore makeup.
My neck and the rest of my body was more yellow/slightly green.
So if you're in that range of tone, skip this foundation. Better off with studio fix fluid honestly.