April 17, 2014 | 1924 users online

Liquid - MAC - Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2014 1:38:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

MAC Matchmaster fndtn is a fndtn that adapts to your skins undertones. It is a med coverage foundation with a semi- matte; yet dimensional finish to the skin.

I am NC30/35 ~ NW30 ish ( yes, I can wear both), and I wear 4.0. It is the largest bottle of the MAC foundations, minus the F&B. So u get a good bang for your buck here. I believe it retails for $33. It also has a handy dandy pump, so no need to fork over the extra dough to buy one.

I use my MAC 159 brush to apply, and it covers most everything, although I still use a concealer for my nose area which does have some broken caps. It leaves a semi-matte finish, although I prefer more dewy. I set it with MAC's MSFN or Studio Fix, then spray my face with Fix +.

This foundation is long wearing, as I have normal/ dry skin and this did not enhance any dry areas I may have. Long wearing to me is a full 10+ hours. I will say that towards the end of the night the area around my nose seemed to have separated a bit. Not sure if it's because I powdered that area too much or I just may need a wax. lol!

Matchmaster is a gr8 foundation for all skin types imo, except for very dry. If you have oily skin, your face will thank-you as it's main job is oil control. My daughter has oily skin, and this is her HG foundation for the past year or so.

Would I repurchase? I'm not sure, Even though it's a gr8 foundation, I just prefer more of a dewy look.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2014 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Triggah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am a 5.0 in the match master foundation. I have very oily skin and I must say this is the best color match I have ever had except for Chanel beige amber. The coverage is medium , I must say I am a full coverage girl. You are able to build up. Last about 4 hours without powder. Before this I would buy studio fix fluid.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2014 12:04:00 AM More reviews by sunshinechemist

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

So, I just finished my bottle of Matchmaster in 1.0. I've had it about 3 years, using it regularly (not everyday, but always in my rotation).

My skin: Normal to dry, occasional blemishes due to hormones, redness on center of my face, fair with neutral undertones.

Pros: Best color match I've found to date, this is still how I reference my skin tone on other reviews. NC15 is too yellow and smidge too dark, NW15 products look too pink and too dark on me. So I do think that Mac's statement about letting the individual undertones shine through has some credibility (unless it's just a neutral undertone that happens to suit me!). Easy to apply, I like applying with my fingers, one pump is good for medium coverage. This is buildable as well, I can apply another half pump for more full coverage. Decent price for foundation, obviously we would all like makeup to cost $3, but realistically, it's a good price. Finish is satin or semi-matte, definitely not matte (my dry skin would cry out if it was a matte finish), but not dewy like my L'oreal lumi foundation. Lasts a decent length of time, around 6 hours without prime, 8 hours with primer for my nonoily skin.

Cons: Transfers without being set with powder. I don't have to set with powder for length of wear, but it transfers really easily unless I set with powder, like most foundations. I don't like to set with powder all the time because it dries my skin out. I wish it gave more flawless full coverage, but really only heavy cream foundation like coverfx or theatre makeup give me that look--that's just a personal preference.

I'm not sure if I will repurchase right away, I'd like to try studio sculpt in NC15 or NW15 first to see if I can get the added coverage I'd like. If I used up my other foundations, I would consider repurchasing this, so I said yes to repuchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2014 5:24:00 PM More reviews by Carlyjl99

I regret spending so much money on this product!!:( I told the lady at the mac store I had oily skin and she recommended this foundation (which I have decided I don't I actually have dry skin) ladies trust me if you dry skin DONT purchase this, it clings on to dry patches and is very thick and hard to blend if your skin is dry! Also I found the color to be waaay darker than my actual skin and It didn't "match" my skin in any way! I find that this foundation along with macs other ones are way too yellow for me and I'm scared to try any more and blow my money! My face was 3-4 shades darker than the rest of my body and it looked ridiculous! I think if you have pretty oily skin, and yellow undertones and are looking for medium to full coverage you will probably love this. Overall so disappointed in this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by kaiannxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has a medium to full coverage. When I first got this I would say my skin type was normal. Now that my skin has gotten drier I can't use this anymore. It has a matte finish which is basically telling dry skinned girls stay away! It clings to your dry spots and accentuates them. Even when I try to put a moisturizing cream under it I feel like it dries out the cream. I do love how much product I get in the bottle though (1.18 fl oz) It usually lasts me almost a year; Even though I know people say you shouldn't use a foundation for more than 6 months it works perfectly for me. But like said this does not work for me anymore because it's so drying. I would say this foundation is great for people with oily skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2014 2:24:00 PM More reviews by Missbo

Seriously MAC foundations suck. Theyre not for everyday wear. Ive tried studio fix, matchmaster and i dont wanna keep trying other ones and confusing my skin to the point that it will break out.. They just dont work for me.. This one stuck to the dry spots on my skin and it didnt look good... Only thing better bout this foundation is that the coloring system is better than the studio fix... However theyre all garbage in my opinion,. And algae extract as an ingredient? Its scary what we put on our skin..

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by eimearsg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm kind of on the fence about this foundation I bought after hearing a lot
Of reviews ... I hated the studio fix fluid as it just like a mask and too heavy and for me the match master isn't that different ... They seem pretty similar IMO .. So if you using studio fix I wouldn't run out and buy match master any time soon .... I feel like it looks slightly orange and caky in person ... But yet it looks amazing in photographs ?! So i don't hate it but I definitely don't love it ... It's extremely matte and to me looks very unnatural on the skin ... Would work pretty well on oily skin girls I guess.... It just didn't really wow me I like a more glowy or dewy finish ... Suppose I'll just try a few different techniques with it see if can make it work

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 11:51:00 PM More reviews by ryapapaya

I am the proud owner of 2 of these fantastic products. The coverage is perfect for my skin, it covers any redness and discoloration but lets my freckles poke through. The ingredients are playing nice with my reactive skin and it stays put for a long time.
Its pump locks when you twist it so it doesn't get everywhere if you put it in a make up bag!

A glass bottle does look nice but makes me nervous putting it in a suitcase or something...

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by NikkiatMAC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Algae extract.... Why MAC? This is a huge reason why mac foundations make me break out. I loved the finish of this foundation, it held up really well to my oily skin ( better than pro long wear) but it causes major acne. Stay away if you're acne prone. Pro long wear is the only MAC foundation that I can wear without breakouts, but my oily skin eats it up. The hunt for the perfect foundation continues...

rated 2 of 5 on 3/3/2014 8:28:00 AM More reviews by Zariana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

In all honesty, I'm not much of a foundation wearer - even if I have to attend an event which calls for a more made-up look. I use my trusty Garnier BB Cream any time I want to look decent and presentable.

However, I was in a mall that had a MAC store so I decided to ask an SA for a sample of a MAC foundation she would recommend for someone who had oily skin and wanted a natural finish. The SA told me about MAC Matchmaster.

She first explained what warm tones and cool tones were. I'm quite certain I'm warm toned and about NC40 in summer and NC37ish in winter. She was adamant that I was an NC44. Even for a foundation novice like me, NC44 looked too dark and strangley orange. I ended up with samples of 6.0 and 7.0.

Briefly, 7.0 is awfully dark for me. 6.0 is still a tad bit off. I don't know if it's just me, but the foundation colours appeared orange on my skin. That could be because the colours were a mismatch.

The foundation did dry to a lovely satin-matte finish. I used some setting powder because I prefer a matte finish. It provided light-medium coverage. The lasting power was, in my opinion, average. It wasn't terribly difficult to remove at the end of the day, but I did notice some minor clogging on my cheeks the next morning. That may be a due to a new blush I wore that day - I can't be sure.

Conclusively, the foundation itself wasn't bad. It, however, didn't blow me away by any means. The colour mismatch has obviously put me off. Come to think of it, even if I had been matched correctly, I don't think I'd be running out to purchase this foundation. I'm not expecting my foundation to wash the dishes or study for me, but because it was MAC, I was hoping for a little more than just an "average" foundation. Also, for an infrequent wearer of foundation such as myself, I can't really justify almost 350 ZAR ($35) on a foundation.