September 19, 2014 | 2012 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Kabuki Brush 2 n 1

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by liorak

To be honest, I am the fence about this one. The brush itself is not horrible but I prefer my elf kabuki brush to powder my face. Now I do have normal to dry skin so I donít use powder foundation, and as this brush is flat, it think it would be really good with powder foundation versus a setting powder. I bought it to set my face, it did not do a bad I just feel this brush is more for powder foundation and like thick powder. Whereas a fluffy brush distributes more product all around the face.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2014 7:08:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

As a Kabuki I don't really love it because I personally like my Kabuki brushes very dense to give me more control and a better finish. This is slightly floppy and splays out and wobbles around in use. Its like Everyday Minerals in this respect (but a little denser and fibre is a much higher quality). I find the short chunky handle difficult to hold onto but that is completely usual with all short kabukis - I put a rubber band around handle to improve grip, problem solved. On the positive side, the short handle does make it compact for travel.

When unfolded as a "Half Moon" brush its pretty good for light applications of bronzer and highlighter. But I already have really great Half Moon brushes. Still, its has a lovely soft feel on skin like her other powder brushes and doesn't shed ect. I'll give it a decent chance and it might grow on me.

Here's a tutorial from Sam on using the brush she uses it as a bronzer contour and a buffing blush brush. The end result on her cheeks looks beautiful:

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2013 6:53:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush to apply Guerlain Meteorites because the ELF powder brush I had fell apart after two months (for whatever reason, the brush portion would not stay glued to the handle). I debated about getting this at all because I had a feeling it wouldn't be all that great but since Ulta was having a buy one-get one half off sale, I decided to take a chance.

I have Chapman's stippling brush (which I love but don't use nearly enough out of sheer laziness) and a few of her other brushes so I had a good idea of what to expect quality wise. I think Chapman's brushes are well made. The bristles aren't scratchy, they don't lose their shape or start shedding after washing and the handles are very, very sturdy. This brush, however, is a bit of a letdown. Like other reviewers have said, it is small. I don't have oddly mannish, meaty hands but this brush makes me feel like I do. Every time I use it, I end up dropping it because it's a bit difficult to get a grasp on because of the size. I also have some difficulty picking up product with this. When I swirl it in my powder container, it takes quite a bit of effort to pick up a decent amount. I don't know if this is because the brush is slanted but it takes a few tries to get the amount of product you want. It applies powder pretty evenly and I haven't had much trouble with coverage but it takes a while to get it all evened out. This could be my terrible application technique but I've never encountered this problem with other brushes - even the cheapo ones.

Overall, this brush is well made (the bristles are at least) but it's far too small and kind of a pain to use. The rest of the Chapman brushes I have work well and I would recommend those for anyone who is on a budget but doesn't want a completely crap brush but I wouldn't recommend Chapman's kabuki. If you really, really need a kabuki brush, I suggest saving up your pennies and splurging on one from by Hakuhodo or Nars.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by PianoGirl1985

I am surprised by some negative reviews about this brush because it is actually one of my favorites from the Real Techniques collection. It is so cute and small and is absolutely perfect for travel and to take with me to school during the day. I keep my travel size brushes in a clean zip-lock bag and use them on the go without creating mess.
Ok, so this is not a true kabuki brush since the hair is very soft and too flexible. So if you got it for the sake of using it with your foundations, this tool will not work. I use it merely for my powders since it is very soft and fluffy and does not apply too much product. I also open it up flat and use it with my Hourglass Ambient powder and it's PERFECT. I know that the Hourglass have their own brush for their ambient powders, but this one is so cheap and gets the job done with ease.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by ninaeaster

A great blush for many different uses. I use this for my powder.This applies this evenly. I love this line of brushes and am collecting them all.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Hypnolove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

First of all like all the other brushes but this one is total crap. Please advertise brushes properly. I actually felt the packaging and advertising of this is very misleading and unfair to me as a consumer. Had this been the first brush I bought from this brand, I would NOT have bought anything else. In fact it's left a bad taste in my mouth so am saving towards some suqqu brushes thanks to the lovely Eldridge who I am secretly in love with alongside goss! Goss is also developing brushes! Hope my man makes it :)))

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2013 2:05:00 AM More reviews by mirageangelhope

I bought this with only real good reviews had been posted.I am happy to report that this is the only disappointing brush from the line.I don't find that this brush does anything well.When applying powder I find that even when using my HG powder it made my face look horrible and patchy.I find dividing the brush an using it for contouring doesn't work either because it opening on the widest side.Give them credit it is soft but not functional This brush is a FAIL!

I love the kits and the expert face brush

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Xaephan

Very, very disappointed. I definitely should have read the reviews first!

Super, super tiny little thing. It's okay for all over bronzer or powder, but I prefer something bigger and a bit denser. While the opening thing is a novelty, it doesn't do much at all. I never find myself using it opened up, because blush and bronzer/contouring needs a bit more control than what this brush offers, and if I want to apply powder, I'd use it closed.

Soft bristles and a handle that feels very good in the hand, though. But unfortunately still not worth it! I'd say to go pick up an ELF Kabuki brush over this. That one is cheaper, bigger, denser, and just as soft.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2012 10:35:00 AM More reviews by andreaally

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've purchased the majority of the Real techniques brush line and been thrilled - price & quality = brilliant!! I've tried lots of other brushes but I keep coming back to the Real Tech Stipple Brush (in love)
Unfortunately this Kabuki brush is not as good. I'm very disappointed with it and would not recommend it as a "kabuki".
My first thought when I opened the package was...Where's the rest of it??? It is TINY!!

It might make a great travel brush but for a full size kabuki this is not it!! I wouldn't mind so much if the description of this brush let the buyer know it isn't full size. I found the packaging quite deceptive of the actual brush itself. In a day & age where plastic is considered a bad thing, sadly this packaging uses way too much - if you have a thing for that.
The idea and design of this brush is unique and could be adapted to something rather clever! I love that it opens out into a wider length/moon shape and is held closed with a hidden magnet. Unfortunately this handle doesn't stay together as good as I'd like. I found the handle annoying & clumsy, also the surface shows wear after only a short while..this could've just been an unlucky one though.
Yes, this is a workable brush but I'd suggest those looking for a good size kabuki brush look elsewhere. Or, if on you are on a budget, could try an ecotools bamboo handle bronzing brush or their "fan brush" both beautiful, soft bristles, dense but also a nice kind of fluffy...dupe/very similar of Tarte Bamboo Airbrush Kabuki (I think that's its name)..
I wouldn't buy this particular brush again although it may be a nice add for a travel kit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2012 4:00:00 PM More reviews by msmarielliejellie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I really love this brush, it is the perfect size for travel and it amazingly soft for a drugstore brand.
One thing though, I would have wanted to have it in a pouch, as I often bring it with me for touch ups. Also, I don't really find any use out of it when I unfold it. It makes it more difficult to apply my powder or brush so I find that feature unnecessary. But all in all a great brush to have.