January 28, 2015 | 933 users online

Lash Treatments - Rimmel - Lash Accelerator Serum

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2015 6:18:00 AM More reviews by TruthSerum

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I quite like this product. I was looking for something that would nourish and condition my lashes while also making the look better. I didn't want mascara because waterproof makes me shed like crazy when I remove it and non-waterproof doesn't have the staying power I need (my eyes get watery during allergy season or whenever I yawn while sleepy, which means if I'm not wearing waterproof, I end up with mascara smudged all around my eyes). I basically wanted an easy to remove, clear gel-like product that enhances the look of my lashes in a natural way while nourishing them. This product is basically it.
This lash serum contains many ingredients that I like. Here are the ingredients, the ones with an asterisk are ingredients that condition, hydrate or promote/encourage growth:
Water (Aqua), Pentylene Glycol, PVP, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin*, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol*, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, PPG 26 Buteth 26, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil*, Arginine*, Caffeine*, Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate, Apigenin, Myristoyl Pentapeptide 17*, Biotin*, Hydrolyzed Keratin*, Sodium Hyaluronate*, Oleanic Acid*, Biotinoyl Tripeptide 1*, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Sorbate, Bambusa Arundinacea (Bamboo) Leaf Extract*, Sodium Benzoate
Normally, lash serums contain all of 2 or 3 good ingredients and the rest are just a bunch of chemicals. This is not the case with Rimmel lash accelerator serum. Now, none of these ingredients is going to cause miraculous growth, only Latisse can do that. However, I firmly believe mamy of the ingredients listed encourage and support growth while keeping the lashes you've already grown healthy.
I have been using this for about a month now and so far, I have experienced a significant resuction in lash shedding and my lashes seem to be slightly longer than the length they normally grow to. Since the product is like a gel it works wonders for holding a curl, which is something even some mascaras can't manage to do. It dries quickly enough (2 minutes) and has a decent lengthening effect. It doesn't seem to add volume, but I wasn't expecting that.
I do have a couple issues that I want to mention. First off, the wand suck for coating lashes. I like that there is a soft brush on the end because it makes it easier to apply the product at the lash line. The comb, however, is terrible for distributing serum along the lengths and ends of lashes. The comb picks up too much product and coats the lashes with too much serum causing all of my lashes to clump. I was able to remedy this by making sure to wipe off every bit of excess serum on the inside of the tube's rim. So, if you're having this same issue, get rid of all excess serum from the comb and then brush through your lashes. Make sure to comb through many times to help coat and separate lashes. Let the serum dry a little bit (for about a minute) and then brush through the lashes with a clean lash brush or comb. Do not brush lashes after the product has completely dried because it will cause flaking! Well, it doesn't flake off so much as peel off. Either way, it doesn't look pretty. So, make sure you curl, separate, and brush through lashes while the product is still somewhat wet.
Overall, I like everything about this product except for the comb. It does a good job of keeping lashes healthy while helping them grow. However, I feel the need to reiterate: this is not some miracle product! You will not experience significant lash growth, because that is not what this product is designed for. If that's what you're looking for, go to your doctor and get a prescription for Latisse.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2015 5:03:00 AM More reviews by nicol3morgan

This product is fantastic. I pull out my eyelashes put of anxiety and this has helped them grow back stronger and healthier. It does clump but that's nothing that can't be solved with a lash comb. It does take a little while to dry but that's very minor
All in all its an amazing product. I've been using it on my brows too and have seen growth in the sparse spots.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2014 3:57:00 AM More reviews by dardarthvader

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My oh my, how I wish my lashes could be like fluttery butterflies and my eyebrows like furry caterpillars. I was hoping to solve my first world problems with this little guy. Unfortunately for me, it didn't work.

I was very diligent and kept track with the serum on my sparse Asian brows that grow one hair every harvest and my lashes that are too thin for my liking. I used it every night because like what most people have said, this stuff clumps. Your eyelashes will turn into one super-eyelash right in the middle. It doesn't make for a good eyelash primer basically. I took pictures of my eyelash and eyebrow progress during this time. After about two months of daily use, I grew disheartened to notice how my eyebrows were still dashes and my eye lashes still stick skinny. So no, I did not see any results in growth. The one thing I did notice, though, was that my lashes were stronger and were less prone to breakage which was obviously a good thing!

Just like biotin pills for the hair that many people claim as a miracle hair growth pill, this serum is more like vitamins for your lashes. Both products are cheap and good for your hair and eyelashes (keeps them strong and moisturized), but it's >$10 and won't leave you with Rapunzel hair overnight nor falsies. That being said, Rimmel should've marketed this product as an eyelash moisturizer/"supplement" if the cosmetic industry decided to become honest.

Though this product did not leave me with the desired results, I do believe it depends on everyone's hair type. I'm sure if you have lashes and eyebrows that grow at a normal speed and aren't too sparse, then the serum will have a much better payoff. As for me, girl with a poor eyebrow and eyelash genetic makeup, I'd probably need something heftier.

TIPS: Use as a brow gel if you don't like the product. Don't throw away your money!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2014 2:51:00 PM More reviews by Ashleyjune10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Let me start off by saying that if you plan to use this under mascara, then you def need to be ready to apply the mascara when the serum is moderately dry! I made the mistake this morning of letting mine dry all of the way, my mascara clumped almost nightmarishly!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Saspants

Stumbled upon this while @ Target or Walmart and paid around $7 for the tube. I used to use the L'Oreal serum with the rubbery applicator but haven't been able to find it for some time. I bought this and have only been using at night but have noticed a big improvement with my eyebrows. I have a hereditary disease, Hashimoto, that affects my thyroid function and has caused my hair to become finer and my eyebrows and lashes to almost disappear. I thought I would give this a try and didn't pin much hope to it but have been amazed at the results. My eyebrows are starting to grow back in and thicken nicely and I have noticed my length and volume in my lashes. Since I have only been using at night, I have decided to start doubling my usage and apply in the morning as well, I hope to see better results in a faster time period.

The only complaint I would have, and it is minor, is that this makes my lashes and brows "crunchy" after it dries. For morning use, I plan to apply after I wash my face and allow to dry before running a spoolie over my brows and lash comb through my lashes prior to applying my make-up, I hope it works and the serum maintains it's effectiveness.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2014 2:46:00 AM More reviews by Minksy17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product does work! It may not be as fast acting as some of those more expensive lash serums, but it does work. I started off using it twice a day, in the morning after I washed my face and at night after I washed my face. I noticed a difference about two weeks in (now I only use it at night). I even used it on my eyebrows where they were a little thin, and after years of struggling to get the shape I want it's finally happening. *A WORD OF ADVICE: after it is absorbed into the lash it will peel off, so don't coat the entire lash. Use the little brush to line the eye like you would with eyeliner. The new growth will be "fragile" and when the serum peels off it could pull lashes out with it which defeats the purpose. If you have put mascara on use a gentle makeup remover to wash it off so you're not scrubbing. Other than that, it's a great product for a very reasonable price.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by glamzdoll

1st of all, I only review products that are worth my 2 cents...
This is one of them. I was a skeptic...I admit it...but I actually love it.
After I murdered my natural eyelashes by applying fake eyelashes which later refused to come off,(and only did after pulling 50% of my lashes out n breaking the rest in half) I was looking for a product (ehemm latisse) to rescue them. Fortunately I did my investigative work online n came across this product. I'm fascinated. 2 weeks later my lashes look slightly longer and fuller. I see new eyelash growth. However, I've noticed that if I skip a day n don't apply it my eyelashes look blah again (but not as bad as they were). I conclude they leave residue on your eyelashes which make them look fuller but who knows. I love it. Would definitely recommend giving it a shot, I will upload before and after pics after my 30 day trial. I'll keep you guys posted.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2014 12:06:00 AM More reviews by Nadinexo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Honestly, I bought this product with different intentions than the results I began to notice. I bought the serum as a substitute for my mac prep and prime lash serum, which is only a months worth for each tube. I did a little research and i came across this beauty! First off, as far as my eyelashes, it took me a quite a long time until i saw a difference, and now , 3 months later i do see a reasonable difference, my lashes aren't crazy long or appear to be falsies by any means, but i do have more volume and length. secondly, i also read you could use the serum on your eysbrows too, my brows have always been sparse ,thin, and not the shape i wanted them. after about a month of applying the serum to my brows day and night I saw AMAZING progress! my brows are fuller, less sparse, and are becoming a nice shape, all thanks to this baby!(:, sooooooo happy with the results, whereas before i had an entire ,in depth brow routine, i now only need a light pencil to do the job!(:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 2:34:00 AM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this serum works. been using it for 3 months nightly. it made my lashes grow and have a bit more bounce. but you cannot skip this nightly treatment. I made the mistake of not using it for 2 weeks due to my overconfidence of the results: bam! my eyelashes went back to normal. not good! moral of the story? you have to treat this product as if you were either: taking your vitamins, plucking your eyebrows, brushing your teeth. you cannot skip this regime. otherwise you'll think the product doesn't work. one more thing. ..a fellow reviewer was right- do not apply this and then apply your mascara. ..it will cause for your eyelashes to clump. also on the morning after you will notice your eyelashes have a somewhat transparent string..kinda like dried rubber cement...this is normal. love the product and will continue to use it until I can get a hold of the ingredients to make my own.

Update

tried a homemade lash serum, well epic fail. but shea butter is a great lash accelerator. so try pure unbleached shea butter if the serum by rimmel is out of stock.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2014 11:44:00 AM More reviews by CrysNabb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I give it a 3 ONLY because I've never tried another lash serum. I got it half off, so I thought I'd give it a go for only a few dollars. After one week, my lashes were longer! I am a stay at home mom, so I don't wear makeup when I'm home, so I basically had this stuff on 24/7. After a couple weeks, when I put on mascara I was amazed! My lashes were so long! An I have SUPER short, thin lashes. This is so affordable, and works! It is proven, because it contains CASTOR OIL. I look forward to buying the matching mascara with the serum in it as well!