April 19, 2014 | 1833 users online

Fragrances - Givenchy - Dahlia Noir EDP

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2014 6:30:00 PM More reviews by sillage

Yechhhhhh. Sorry, this isn't for me, and that opinion held from first nasty whiff all the way to drydown and beyond. It just never got better. Blech.

Yes, it has a powdery or baby wipe quality in the drydown, as so many have said -- but the scent itself smells to me like "black cherry cough syrup". It's medicinal, unpleasant, and too *strong*. Lasts very well (of course). I checked the note list, and there is nothing to reflect black cherry cough syrup, but that's how it hits me.

Here are its notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Mandarin, Mimosa, Pink pepper
Heart Notes: Iris, Patchouli, Rose
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Strong, powdery, nasty dark medicinal scent -- and it smells quite "mature" also (I'm trying to be PC). A trying-to-be-sexy fragrance, like they used to make generations ago. Not a pretty scent, not a youthful scent -- and to my nose, not a sexy or attractive scent. I picture this on a sultry, smoky cat-eyed Russian spy -- like Natasha, from the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons. My least favorite Givenchy, of those I've smelled.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by MrsHopkey

I have been wearing Burberry Brit Sheer exclusively for 10 years. My husband got me Dahlia Noir for xmas and I was really surprised by how much I loved it. It's strong yet mellow at the same time. I wonder if it comes in a rollerball so I can throw one in my car...

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 1:16:00 AM More reviews by robertsmithwillsaveusall

I really wanted to like this perfume. I read about this in Vogue Paris a long time ago and it really sounded like it would be a "different" and "cutting-edge" perfume. I have been on the hunt for a unique perfume for the longest time, you see. Well, it fell short in real life. It was a dusty pale rose scent which had a very powdery texture to it. It's not bad but it's not as special as I was expecting it to be. The Angel & Demons scents were definitely much more unique but I didn't like it so much. I couldn't imagine myself wearing this perfume so I never bought it in the end. Such a pity though, i loved the name and the idea of it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2013 12:01:00 PM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's pretty hilarious that everyone thinks this perfume is named after a murder victim, simply because the movie "Black Dahlia" is their only reference to the term. Haha. Listen, a Dahlia is a flower. This perfume is named after a flower. Ok?

Now that that's settled, about the perfume - I absolutely love it. Keep in mind this review is for the EDP with the black cap. I'm 26 years old and feel this perfume suits my generation perfectly. Someone growing into their maturity and yet still hanging onto their youth. This perfume is super sexy, inciting, and just YUMMY. It's incredibly feminine. I can't get enough of this scent, and I always want to wear it, even though my wardrobe is just about overflowing with other selections. This perfume deserves more hype!

EDIT: Had to return this, as it was far too strong and gave me a headache.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

I was excited to try this thinking "this might actually have some presence and depth unlike every other juice on the market right now" wrong, nothing Noir or dark about it boring floral with a touch of fruit - think this is trying to be a new version of Hot Couture but doesnt quite cut it. Boring

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by kstone1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like it! I also live in a humid humid climate the coast of South Carolina, I had the same experience I got a sample of the EDP and I bought the EDT it is totally different but unlike the other review I like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by grapeapril

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

The EDP & the EDT smell completely different, as I accidentally took home the EDT and quickly took it back after one spray (yuck) and exchanged for the EDP that I absolutely LOVE!! I love fresh powdery scents, and this one fits the bill perfectly. I have terrible allergies and many perfumes make me sick to my stomach and this one does not. I want to smell it all the time. It lasts all day, especially if you spray your hair. I live in a hot climate (Georgia) and it's not too overpowering even on the hottest and most humid days. To me it is worth the price and I don't mind the minimalist packaging as it is easy to hold and easy to spray. But for me, ONLY the perfume not the toilette.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by gapeach01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this perfume on me...it has staying power & I feel sophisticated & sexy while wearing it. I believe I have found my signature scent!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/13/2013 7:00:00 AM More reviews by Nelius

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am totally shocked by Givenchy using the nickname of a 22 year old murdered woman to sell their latest perfume.
Elizabeth Short, to give her her real name was horrifically mutilated and murdered in Hollywood in 1947 and to be correct she was cut in half! Look at the advert, what does the ribbon around the model waist suggest to you with regards that terrible information? The whole styling is a tacky, tasteless, creepy mimicking of the murder, and in spite of the fact that she was killed 66 years ago doesn't give any company the right to use her sad death to sell water that smells, which is more or less what perfume is! I don't think that perfume which smelt like decomposing flesh would sell, so let's make it like baby powder instead!!!!!

Shame on Givenchy and I very much doubt that the classy Herbert de Givenchy would have approved!
I won't buy this if it was the last scent/ fragrance/perfume in the world!
Think before you buy into misogyny and that includes Dolce and Gabbona who are no doubt the worst offenders in this victimhood of women adverts.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2013 4:14:00 AM More reviews by surrealkitten

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The perfect thing to wear if you're 65, wearing a baby dress and have attributed names and personalities to all the members of your enormous doll collection.
Yeeesh.