October 1, 2014 | 1915 users online

Fragrances - Givenchy - Dahlia Noir EDP

rated 2 of 5 on 9/21/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by makeupstuffs

Why anybody would want to smell like baby powder for the price of this is beyond me. I love the packaging, the name, the colour, longevity, basically everything but the smell. Weirdly enough the baby powder smell wasnt as obvious in store but that may be due to smelling other fragrances. Supposed to be a powdery rose smell, my mum has tried every rose smell under the sun but the powdery smell overpowers any rose in this one. You either hate it or love it. Smells ok on clothes because the smell is clean. Love givenchy wanted to love this, sadly I cannot.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by Lybarra118

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Givenchy Dahlia Noir EDP has somewhat startled me. Thrown me back into the past. A friend of mine gave me a few of her samples (as she doesn't care for powdery scents) and I've used it twice - I just ordered a large bottle.

For some reason, this scent reminds me of when I was a 10 year old little girl and my very wealthy aunt would pick me up in her brand new BMW for a day of shopping. I could smell the new car scent (new leather), along with the spearmint gum she always chewed, and the opened bottle of Perrier sparkling mineral water that forever sat in the cup holder.

My family had little money, but being with my aunt, smelling my aunt, I felt rich just being near her. I yearned to smell like her one day. That's how this perfume makes me feel.

It's just lovely. I can't see this ever being offensive to anyone. It may not work with ones body chemistry, but I can't see if offending from a distance. It's the ultimate daytime office perfume that is soft, but will definitely get you noticed. I do get a bit of the powder but I've smelled far stronger before. It's a fluffy, breezy, soft powdered sugar, not baby powder, in my opinion.

If you're looking for baby powder in a bottle or have never truly smelled it before, try Lolita Lempicka Lolita Lempicka.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2014 6:30:00 PM More reviews by sillage

Has a really old-school vibe, and I'm having flashes of Old Hollywood actresses -- esp Audrey Hepburn, because of the L'Interdit which was made for her and was quite powdery (I had it once) -- and it was also made by Givenchy.

Yes, this does have a baby powder quality in the drydown, as so many have said -- but the scent itself -- at first -- smells to me almost like black cherry. It's a bit medicinal, or wine-like (fermented), and fairly strong, if not sprayed with care. Lasts very well. I checked the note list, and there is nothing to reflect black cherry, but that's how it strikes me -- it may be just the way the notes combine.

Here are its notes, per parfumo.net:
Top Notes: Mandarin, Mimosa, Pink pepper
Heart Notes: Iris, Patchouli, Rose
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Notes, per Sephora.com:
Pink Pepper, Mandarin, Cedrat, Rose, Peach, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber.

Strong & a bit dark & wine-like at the top -- then it turns baby powdery in the drydown. It smells Old Hollywoood and therefore "mature" to me. If they were trying for a 40's or 50's retro, I think they achieved it.

To my nose, it dries down to a sweet pretty smoky black-cherryish baby powder scent -- and that dark smoky dark-fruity note gives it a subtle sultriness underneath the sweet baby powder. It's growing on me -- I'm actually finding myself craving it at times.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 10:40:00 PM More reviews by MrsHopkey

I have been wearing Burberry Brit Sheer exclusively for 10 years. My husband got me Dahlia Noir for xmas and I was really surprised by how much I loved it. It's strong yet mellow at the same time. I wonder if it comes in a rollerball so I can throw one in my car...

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 1:16:00 AM More reviews by robertsmithwillsaveusall

I really wanted to like this perfume. I read about this in Vogue Paris a long time ago and it really sounded like it would be a "different" and "cutting-edge" perfume. I have been on the hunt for a unique perfume for the longest time, you see. Well, it fell short in real life. It was a dusty pale rose scent which had a very powdery texture to it. It's not bad but it's not as special as I was expecting it to be. The Angel & Demons scents were definitely much more unique but I didn't like it so much. I couldn't imagine myself wearing this perfume so I never bought it in the end. Such a pity though, i loved the name and the idea of it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2013 12:01:00 PM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's pretty hilarious that everyone thinks this perfume is named after a murder victim, simply because the movie "Black Dahlia" is their only reference to the term. Haha. Listen, a Dahlia is a flower. This perfume is named after a flower. Ok?

Now that that's settled, about the perfume - I absolutely love it. Keep in mind this review is for the EDP with the black cap. I'm 26 years old and feel this perfume suits my generation perfectly. Someone growing into their maturity and yet still hanging onto their youth. This perfume is super sexy, inciting, and just YUMMY. It's incredibly feminine. I can't get enough of this scent, and I always want to wear it, even though my wardrobe is just about overflowing with other selections. This perfume deserves more hype!

EDIT: Had to return this, as it was far too strong and gave me a headache.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

I was excited to try this thinking "this might actually have some presence and depth unlike every other juice on the market right now" wrong, nothing Noir or dark about it boring floral with a touch of fruit - think this is trying to be a new version of Hot Couture but doesnt quite cut it. Boring

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by kstone1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like it! I also live in a humid humid climate the coast of South Carolina, I had the same experience I got a sample of the EDP and I bought the EDT it is totally different but unlike the other review I like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by grapeapril

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

The EDP & the EDT smell completely different, as I accidentally took home the EDT and quickly took it back after one spray (yuck) and exchanged for the EDP that I absolutely LOVE!! I love fresh powdery scents, and this one fits the bill perfectly. I have terrible allergies and many perfumes make me sick to my stomach and this one does not. I want to smell it all the time. It lasts all day, especially if you spray your hair. I live in a hot climate (Georgia) and it's not too overpowering even on the hottest and most humid days. To me it is worth the price and I don't mind the minimalist packaging as it is easy to hold and easy to spray. But for me, ONLY the perfume not the toilette.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by gapeach01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this perfume on me...it has staying power & I feel sophisticated & sexy while wearing it. I believe I have found my signature scent!