November 25, 2014 | 1726 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (Pressed)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by susieax

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product in hopes it might keep make up in place for longer. I have tried applying with Mac make up brushes, with sponges, with a puff - nothing works. I fail to see the point in this product. I will not be buying it again and will keep searching for an alternative as I found this product completely pointless. I suppose a plus side is that it's suitable for all skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2014 6:33:00 AM More reviews by aj0801

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have extremely oily skin which is acne prone, however I do not have many inflamed active blemishes, just a few small spots here and there. I have pretty big pores that get clogged easily, but I generally managed to keep my skin under control with Retin-A. I am always on the hunt for a powder that will help me keep my oils at bay, which believe me, is not an easy task. About half an hour after I have a shower and wash my face my skin is like an oil slick! I have to blot about every hour throughout the day to avoid looking extremely oily and scaring everyone away. Up until about a month ago I was using Clinique Stay Matte pressed powder and I was relatively happy with it, however I'm always on the lookout for a better product and after reading good reviews for Mac Prep + Prime and how well it worked for people I decided to give it a try when my Clinique powder ran out. At first my impression of it was 'Ok'. I liked the packaging, however I really don't like the fact it doesn't come with an applicator, or sponge of some sort. It means it's just that extra thing I need to carry around in my bag. It did help to keep my oil under control but not dramatically, i'd still get really greasy really quickly, in about an hour and it was any better than the Clinique. I feel like sometimes after a few hours of wear and after a few blots with blotting papers my make-up would start to get patchy and if I put the powder on top of that it would only emphasise the problem. My main issues with it, is that as soon as I had started using this, I started breaking me out. Painful cysts around my chin that wouldn't go away for ages. My forehead was covered in small red bumps, so were my cheeks. This does not happen to me. My pores were incredibly blocked, every night i would take off my makeup and i would see loads of new blocked pores, blackheads, whiteheads and new pimples. At first I didn't attribute it to the powder and continued using it for a month. I then read many reviews on the MAC website and saw that the same thing happened to a lot of girls with acne prone, sensitive skin. I immediately stopped using it and went back to my Clinique. My skin improved immediately and no new breakouts since then! Overall, in my opinion, its a mediocre product. If you've got acne prone, sensitive skin, I would be careful with this and if you do decide to give it a try, watch your skin careful and if you start breaking out, then stop using it right away.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2014 12:09:00 AM More reviews by AimeeMarieMUA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This lasts me such a long time-I seriously only have to repurchase this once every three or four months and I wear makeup constantly. The price does make me wary, but I only buy this about three times a year.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by cmdennis1976

I've recently discovered this after spending years trying every product under the sun to keep the dreaded oil at bay and I love love love this powder! My skin is so oily it drives me mad but I can just carry this around with me all day and lightly dust in onto my face with a kabuki brush when I need to. It doesn't add any colour on top of whatever foundation/face powder/bronzer I've got on so I don't end up with an orange face! I also find that it doesn't cake my makeup which can happen if you're adding powder throughout the day to mop up shine. I would definitely recommend dusting it on using a brush rather than with a powder puff. I usually prefer loose powder but haven't tried the loose powder version just because I think if you're needing to carry something around to mop up oil when you're on the go then pressed powder is much easier. I used to spend every few hours blotting my face with blotting sheets (which I still love) but I find with this product I only need one or perhaps two touch ups and it keeps my make up in place and skin matte for the whole of my working day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2014 9:01:00 PM More reviews by keiki300

This is a finishing white as white can be powder. If you are being photographed with a flash it will show. We have all seen pictures of celebs with white powder under their eyes. I use this all over my make up to set it and I use a heavy sponge so I can get tons of product on it and put it right under my eyes which makes me look awake and fresh. Actually that is the only reason I bought this powder. I love this powder and can not live without it. Another MAC product I love is Paint pot in Painterly but I use it as a primer. This powder comes with no sponge as using it with a sponge would be way too heavy. 35.00 CAD but it will last forever. A must have for the make up geek. I have not tried the loose version which I hear is somewhat superior. One word of caution: this is very white and if you put it on like a normal pressed powder you will look ghastly.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2014 7:04:00 PM More reviews by raquelsimoes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Because I have oily skin, I need to clean my face extremely well in the morning (for that, I have a cleanser by Avène), use a toner (mine's by Clinique) and apply a good oil-free foundation (I currently use one by Clinique and another by Chanel - for more details about the products I'm mentioning read my reviews or ask me about it). I can't skip any of these steps or my face starts "melting" after a few hours. However, I had been reading wonderful things about this powder's oil control function and I have to say I'm an absolute MAC fan (from amazing full coverage concealers to high quality brushes, I've been in love with several of their products). So I decided to give it a try, despite its unattractive price (I got mine for 26 euros).

First thing and most important to me: it helps with oil control. It's no miracle like many describe, but it works beautifully when combined with a clean skin and an appropriate foundation. It has been around 20 degrees celsius here and I have rarely felt the need to apply it more than once (in the morning only) throughout the day, but I'm sure I will need to more often when the temperature rises up to 30 or 40.

Another thing I absolutely love about this powder is its packaging and the fact that it's pressed. It's pretty, it has a little mirror and you can take it everywhere with you. It's just perfect!

Also, it's important to mention that I did not have the problem lots of people complain about: flash didn't make me look white on the photo at all. The powder was just not visible. Maybe people are applying way too much or using the wrong brush? I don't know.

One last thing: it's a good finishing powder that highlights your face a little, which helps finishing off any look. Not its original function, but it's a plus.

Therefore, I will be buying this product again and I recommend it if you have combination, oily or very oily skin. If your skin's dry, I don't really think this is worth it for you and it's not cheap either.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/14/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by mickeyrdam

This is NOTHING like the amazing loose version, which I hoped it would be, only in a pressed (more travel friendly) version. It leaves a strange WHITE CAST on the face and also has very limited mattifying power (after a while it actually makes my forehead look shinier).
It looses all the nice properties of the loose version because of all the fillers/binders.
Really disappointed and I regret not repurchasing the loose version. Otherwise, the packaging with a mirror is really nice, slick and closes securely.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 8:19:00 PM More reviews by stella0r

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This isn't perfect but because it keeps my oily face at bay like no other, I just have to give it a 5. Since I got the pressed, I can keep it in my bag for touch-ups which I hardly ever need. Paired with Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation, it lasts me well up to 10 hours without any retouching.
The only thing is the color. It's supposed to be transparent but it somehow creates a dull shade which I have to cover up with a last layer of powder. But it's no big deal. I'm still buying.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2014 9:45:00 PM More reviews by aliengirrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE THIS! I'm very pale with weird undertones I have issues with finding nice colored powder so I tend to stick to the translucant. This sets my foundation and under eye concealer perfectly, stays, and has a really nice "soft" looking finish. There is no cakey powdery look. I will allwaayysss repurchase this! (AND THE PACKAGING IS SUPER CUTE! It's got little glitters in it)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 10:42:00 AM More reviews by kamiller1972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted a light, transparent powder to go on top of my Studio Gear Mineral Foundation....I like more natural products for my sensitive, acne prone skin....unfortunately, all the organic and natural products I've tried so far have oxidized horrendously. I decided to pull out my MAC Prep + Prime that I had purchased a while ago...powder perfection! No oxidization, no cakey mess...this controls oil pretty well too...I'll maybe have to blot once during the day. No breakouts either. Woot!