NARS Pure Matte lipstick - Mascate

4.9

on 1/28/2015 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

After years looking pretty much everywhere for "my" red, I have finally found it in the NARS pure matte lipstick in Mascate.

It's a wonderful deepened brick red that isn't too warm or too cool. Most of those bright firetruck reds just make me look washed out and dead. But I knew I looked good in darker vampier colors so I went deeper with my red and after wandering around Sephora for a bit found this little gem and it just clicked! It's glamorous, very old hollywood, and makes my green eyes really pop!

It is a matte formula without being drying or uncomfortable and mascate is not the only beautiful shade in the line but they are pretty spend at 26USD a pop so I'll probably hold off before buying more.

The NARS packaging is obnoxious, as usual, with the matte texture that collects dirt and dust from bags and drawers. However, the cap is SUPER secure and definitely won't pop open on you in your bag.

If you are looking for a neutral, darker red to add to your rotation, definitely give this one a try!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Mascate is a gorgeous dark red that looks like a brick red on me. I love it, it looks really elegant and glamorous. Looks great with a neutral blush and just wingled-liner. The formula is so great, a very comfortable matte that I find non-drying; application is smooth and glides on without tugging.

on 7/26/2013 4:44:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Mascate was darker in person than what I'd seen based on online swatches and photos. It's not a true red, but a deep red, almost wine or berry. Very pretty but I think it's more suited to darker skintones (currently I'm about NC25-30 and NARS Alaska/St. Moritz). Like most reds, it takes some patience to apply but the matte formula makes it more manageable.

on 2/1/2013 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I got this lip color a couple weeks ago. I got this instead of another red shade because the other shade was sold out, and thank goodness it was. I absolutely love Mascate. It's a matte shade and a really bold red. I think it's a very flirtatious color for the most part (I guess it also depends on how you do the rest of your make up as well.) My only concern is that after a while the color bleeds from my bottom lip so a lip pencil is needed.

Other than that I'll definitely pick up this color again. It is also a very good red shade for women with darker skin tones.

on 12/10/2012 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This shade absolutely did not work for me. It was darker than I thought it would be and looked more berry than a true, classic red which is what I was seeking. For reference, I have light olive skin with true neutral undertones. However, it is a beautiful color and a very high quality lipstick that manages to be matte without being too drying. Accordingly, I rated this a five even though the color wasn't what I wanted. If you want a dark red that hews closer to a brick shade than a pinup red, this is a great choice.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I'm so happy I did my research before getting a bold red lippie, bc had I not, I likely would've just gone with the hype for Chanel Dragon or MAC Ruby Woo. NARS Mascate is a *BAM* sort of red, with neutral undertones, and a truly matte finish. I really think it would be perfect for both cooler and warmer skin tones bc it pulls neither identifiably blue or orange based. When applied with a lip brush and some attention, this baby absolutely stays put. I wore it to a dinner party and it lasted for 8 hours, through a 4-course dinner, plenty of drinks, and several dabs with a serviette when the food got a bit messy. Most amazingly, I found it to be not the least bit drying! Really! I think because of the boldness of colour and non-drying quality, this may become my HG red lippie. I don't wear it often but when I do, I want it to be damn good. Subtracted a lippie for packaging: I love the sophisticated look and feel of the tube, however the lack of a "point" to the product makes it difficult to apply precisely straight from the tube. I use a brush to apply first, and straight from tube for touch-ups.

Love it. Perfect KER-POWW!!! red on me. It's matte, but not drying on my lips the way MAC's Ruby Woo is. Color wise is a close match to Chanel Dragon, but without the mess of a gloss. This lipstick is matte, and proud of it. I hardly need to reapply, and even when it does fade it leaves a really pretty stain.

Totally worth the (pricey) asking price.

LOVE this lipstick. Its the bold red I've been searching for. Its super matte and so you do have to exfoliate your lips before you use it but it applies nicely. Its easier for me to dot it on than to glide it on. It lasts forever. I only had to reapply once and that was because i ate. I want more colors

on 8/18/2011 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I'm an NC44.5/NC45 in MAC and a Warm Almond in Bobbi Brown and Mascate looks great on me. I love matte lipstick as it looks sophisticated and ladylike and beats the hell out of gloss.

Mascate is a dark slightly blue-based red on me and I wear it with MAC Mahogany lip pencil as I love wearing that lip pencil with all of my red lipsticks. I get respect when I wear red lipstick and definitely when I wear this one, so I take it I look good with it on! LOL

Mascate looks misleadingly brick red in the tube which is why I bought it in the first place but it isn't but it isn't bright or outlandish either.

Popular Lipsticks