August 23, 2014 | 1127 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Pure Matte lipstick - Mascate

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2014 10:47:00 PM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Mascate is a gorgeous dark red that looks like a brick red on me. I love it, it looks really elegant and glamorous. Looks great with a neutral blush and just wingled-liner. The formula is so great, a very comfortable matte that I find non-drying; application is smooth and glides on without tugging.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2013 4:44:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Mascate was darker in person than what I'd seen based on online swatches and photos. It's not a true red, but a deep red, almost wine or berry. Very pretty but I think it's more suited to darker skintones (currently I'm about NC25-30 and NARS Alaska/St. Moritz). Like most reds, it takes some patience to apply but the matte formula makes it more manageable.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2013 7:15:00 PM More reviews by FinXtin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this lip color a couple weeks ago. I got this instead of another red shade because the other shade was sold out, and thank goodness it was. I absolutely love Mascate. It's a matte shade and a really bold red. I think it's a very flirtatious color for the most part (I guess it also depends on how you do the rest of your make up as well.) My only concern is that after a while the color bleeds from my bottom lip so a lip pencil is needed.

Other than that I'll definitely pick up this color again. It is also a very good red shade for women with darker skin tones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2012 9:56:00 PM More reviews by appletea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This shade absolutely did not work for me. It was darker than I thought it would be and looked more berry than a true, classic red which is what I was seeking. For reference, I have light olive skin with true neutral undertones. However, it is a beautiful color and a very high quality lipstick that manages to be matte without being too drying. Accordingly, I rated this a five even though the color wasn't what I wanted. If you want a dark red that hews closer to a brick shade than a pinup red, this is a great choice.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by MyNameIsHoney

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm so happy I did my research before getting a bold red lippie, bc had I not, I likely would've just gone with the hype for Chanel Dragon or MAC Ruby Woo. NARS Mascate is a *BAM* sort of red, with neutral undertones, and a truly matte finish. I really think it would be perfect for both cooler and warmer skin tones bc it pulls neither identifiably blue or orange based. When applied with a lip brush and some attention, this baby absolutely stays put. I wore it to a dinner party and it lasted for 8 hours, through a 4-course dinner, plenty of drinks, and several dabs with a serviette when the food got a bit messy. Most amazingly, I found it to be not the least bit drying! Really! I think because of the boldness of colour and non-drying quality, this may become my HG red lippie. I don't wear it often but when I do, I want it to be damn good. Subtracted a lippie for packaging: I love the sophisticated look and feel of the tube, however the lack of a "point" to the product makes it difficult to apply precisely straight from the tube. I use a brush to apply first, and straight from tube for touch-ups.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2012 2:21:00 AM More reviews by fudgebrownie19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love it. Perfect KER-POWW!!! red on me. It's matte, but not drying on my lips the way MAC's Ruby Woo is. Color wise is a close match to Chanel Dragon, but without the mess of a gloss. This lipstick is matte, and proud of it. I hardly need to reapply, and even when it does fade it leaves a really pretty stain.

Totally worth the (pricey) asking price.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2011 2:34:00 AM More reviews by PromiscuousGayCroMagnon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

LOVE this lipstick. Its the bold red I've been searching for. Its super matte and so you do have to exfoliate your lips before you use it but it applies nicely. Its easier for me to dot it on than to glide it on. It lasts forever. I only had to reapply once and that was because i ate. I want more colors

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2011 4:24:00 PM More reviews by dundada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm an NC44.5/NC45 in MAC and a Warm Almond in Bobbi Brown and Mascate looks great on me. I love matte lipstick as it looks sophisticated and ladylike and beats the hell out of gloss.

Mascate is a dark slightly blue-based red on me and I wear it with MAC Mahogany lip pencil as I love wearing that lip pencil with all of my red lipsticks. I get respect when I wear red lipstick and definitely when I wear this one, so I take it I look good with it on! LOL

Mascate looks misleadingly brick red in the tube which is why I bought it in the first place but it isn't but it isn't bright or outlandish either.