December 19, 2014 | 1809 users online

Hair Treatments - Redken - Extreme Strength Builder Plus

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by FeminineWoman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Bought this hair treatment after having a couple of inches cut off my hair due to frying it with a flat iron. Goal is to prevent damaging my hair, building strength and hydration.

Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus has kept my hair healthy, and it has a pleasant scent, which is a plus, but prefer a bit more hydration. It boils down to personal preference, so I can't rate this with less than three lippies. Good product; however, it isn't for moi.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2014 1:36:00 PM More reviews by TipTopTap

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am hardly a hair connoisseur. I have never dyed, bleached, permed, or treated my hair in anyway. But I work outside and have naturally fine (but very thick) hair that's prone to dryness and breakage.

This product used as a mask adds noticable weight and strength to my hair. The only bad part, if it touches my scalp I get big painful welts! Great product but my skin hates it.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2014 11:45:00 PM More reviews by lia333

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product is a miracle, seriously after one use my damaged, fine, incredibly thick and wavy bleached hair was stronger and shinier, and unlike most other protein based treatments, this didn't dry out my hair or need to be followed up with an intensive conditioner BUT I think it should come with a warning. I am not protein sensitive, I have never had any food/product allergies previously but this product and all redken products I have thus far tried have caused me to break out in hives and have a full on allergic reaction! Some research led me to discover that others have had similar reactions to redken products, even anaphylactic responses which are potentially fatal. I am so upset to be honest because nothing has worked so well on my hair, and I've tried matrix, joico ect. I would suggest testing this product first and if you have allergies discontinue immediately, but if you don't it will simultaneously strengthen and hydrate your hair, THE HG product for any bleach-heads out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 5:36:00 AM More reviews by eb0ny8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Omg this is a miracle in a bottle.
I bleached my hair 3 times in a week and it was so damaged to the point where I couldn't even brush it. The mid lengths of my hair wouldn't hold any toners and when wet it was a gooey chewing gum mess (not to mention when dry it was literally hard like hay) I've used this once and as soon as I starting washing it out my hair started feeling normal and believe it or not I tried purple shampoo on the ends and it actually held the colour!

I can not express how grateful I am to have found this product , it's legit the best thing I've ever gotten. It is expensive but for what it does it's so worth it. If your hairs dry or like mine a complete mess please please buy!! It saved me a lot of headaches!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Evablue87

Great!! The best treatment for my coarse, chemically damaged hair so far. I am glad I read MUA before I bought this.

I colour my hair at least five times a year, but could not find any good treatment until this!! I have used most of the kerastase line treatments include Chroma riche, ciment force.... Also loreal, loreal professional, joico, muk, Morrocan Oil, aveda... Etc etc, and they were really just a waste of money!

I use this twice a week, but if you are using the treament more regularly, buy a clarifying shampoo. I tried this treatment with a normal shampoo and also with the clarifying shampoo, Both of the result were still great.

Yesterday my friend touched My hair, she said it feels fresh, new and hydrated. Very impressed with Redken, I will try the CAT spray next time.

** If you want some more moisturizer, added leave in conditioner or thermal protect creme after the shower before blow dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2014 1:30:00 PM More reviews by vintagelunettes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS STUFF! I had a traumatic experience where my hair broke off.. in handfuls. It was so over processed and dry, and this single handedly brought my hair back to life. This is the only reason I didn't have to cut my hair into a pixie cut and I will continue to buy as long as I'm a blonde.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2014 11:53:00 PM More reviews by donnaherrera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It was okay at first I did not know what to expect, had a bleaching accident to the point where my hair is stringy like a rubber band, it's color was gray/silver which I finally manage after various attempts it was awesome but the down side was that I made it super thin and elastic. This product did nothing to my hair. Left it on for a length bit testing out times, from 5 minutes to 15 to 20 to 30 even an hr but no luck. I am sure if hair is not damaged as mine I am sure it will work wonders but to my damaged hair it did nothing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 9:29:00 AM More reviews by BeaP

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this mask based on MUA reviews, and I'm very glad that I did. This is a fantastic product and really serious stuff, which is suitable for thick, coarse and really damaged hair as well, not just normal or slightly damaged/dry, as most products are (in spite of the marketing claims).
This is a protein treatment, and the third protein treatment that I've tried. Joico K-Pak didn't really do anything to my hair, and Kerastase's green line (Bain Force Architecte and the Age Recharge Mask) strengthened my hair but also made it very greasy in no time.
This product has an immediate strengthening effect, and helps my hair stay fresh even longer than my favorite products do. I like to use this mask together with the matching shampoo, but I've found that just the mask in itself already lengthens the time between hair washes.

There are a lot of warnings about protein treatments. A lot of reviewers say that those with dry hair shouldn't use them, because they will only make the matter worse. But I think hardly anyone knows if their hair is damaged or dry. For example, I have been dying my hair for more than 10 years now (on a monthly basis), because I started to go grey very early. Now almost 100% of my hair is grey, so obviously 'old', weak and damaged from dying. But it has never been bleached, and is hardly ever heat styled. Being wavy and coarse it is obviously dry, moreover, very dry.

So now, should you be afraid of a protein treatment? I think no, at least not in this case. The majority of the reviewers experienced good results, and a lot of them must have dry hair rather than damaged. You can try using this mask once a week or in rotation with a protein-free moisturizing treatment, or if you have time, you can use both: first this, then the moisturizer. I've used it in itself and also together with Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm or Macadamia Natural Oil Mask. It worked really well either way. It has a plastic cherry smell, which I don't particularly find pleasant, but this product has such great benefits, that I won't complain about that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 2:19:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a favorite of mine in the whole Redken Extreme line. It does what it is supposed to do and I see definite improvements in my hair. There is less fallout in the shower, my hair is left shiny and not crunchy, and my curls get a boost in texture. It has the same fruity scent as the Anti-Snap spray which I also adore. The consistency is that of a yogurt and it is light blue in color. It does feel like it gets absorbed in my hair and it has good slip for me. It does take a while to feel like it has rinsed off cleanly, but the effort is worth it. My hair air-dries soft and never greasy. I wish this came in a tube instead of a jar.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 6:34:00 PM More reviews by huggabledust

This stuff is magical. I only use it once every two weeks or so because I have seen improvement in the state of my hair since I first started using it. Although some people find it dries out their hair after rinsing, I never feel the need to use a follow-up moisturizing conditioner. It leaves me hair soft, shiny, and healthy looking. It smells like blueberries but the scent does not linger after rinsing. This is the only masque I've used that I've seen in your face results. I ran out of this and tried the Restorative Masque by Moroccan Oil and it just doesn't measure up, unfortunately. I work in a salon and I always recommend this to ladies and gents with damaged hair from bleaching or frequent highlighting and they always come back for more (but not for a while because this shiz lasts ages).

It's 27$ ish Canadian which isn't too bad. A tub of this stuff should last you 4-5 months because you need so little of it.