December 18, 2014 | 1647 users online

Lips - Yves Saint Laurent - Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2014 7:03:00 AM More reviews by ilikeringpops

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I fell in love with Sweet Fig on a recent trip to Sephora. In the tube it's a gorgeous, slightly scorched red. The packaging is pure luxury: a heavy silver bullet with the iconic red and gold YSL logo. When I put it on, I was pleasantly surprised by the texture, which is moist but not sticky, and stays put remarkably well. I can't stand the Revlon lip butters everybody loves, I find them slippery, smushy in the tube, pitifully pigmented, and the color always winds up on my teeth. Sheer Candy was like a breath of fresh air and I bought it immediately.

After using it for about a day, I was still really impressed with the formula. It just feels so GOOD. So moisturizing and luscious. It doesn't just sit on top of your lips, either, but moisturizes and even provides a very subtle stain as it fades. The product also retains it shape as you use it, instead of smashing into the tube (unlike the aforementioned Revlon butters.)

My quibble here is that I want the product to be just a touch more pigmented. I know, I know, it's a sheer product. But my lips are very pigmented and I found that for the price, and the number of layers I had to use for this to show up on me (and Sweet Fig is one of the darker shades!), I just can't justify the price of this product. However, I'm still tempted by it every time I walk into Sephora.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2014 6:49:00 PM More reviews by Monday1

I love these for all the same reasons others have said--nice formula, good colors, the packaging, and a pleasant scent. I owned 3 colors including Tangy Mandarine and Sweet Fig. I feel like issuing a PSA, however, on how quickly the bullet gets used up. These have nothing like the longevity of my other lipsticks--between their sheerness and how quickly they fade, you need to reapply a lot. AND as you reapply, the stuff gets used up before you know it. After only a few months of irregular use, all three of mine are almost gone.

For the price this is just not justifiable. I have enjoyed having these in my collection but will not get any more.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2014 9:40:00 PM More reviews by tigerlily217

To be honest I have been eyeing these for a really long time. The Dewy Papaya shade to be exact. I personally couldn't bring myself to fork out the money for a lip product that's meant to be sheer. I remember being in awe with the fancy packaging and how gorgeous the shade of peach is. Still, I steered myself away from it because I couldn't justify spending that amount of money. Not until the recent Sephora sale, of course.

Is it worth it? Definitely. Despite how simple it is, I don't think any product similar to this could be of this caliber which makes you want more. It really is sheer as the name itself claims. It's a nice peachy shade that gives my lips an extra oomph without being over the top. Still very work appropriate. It's moisturizing but not quite enough but it doesn't make my lips peel so I can't complain. I find that I do have to reapply a few times through the day. It's a very pretty glossy finish that makes you look a bit more polished. Lastly, the scent is so damn good! I can't help myself but to sniff it when I whip this out.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by HiGayle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was so impressed by Guava, I bought this in Pomegranate and Papaya when Sephora had their 15% off spring sale. I like the light feel of the gloss and sheer color payoff. It feels nice on the lips. I don't have a problem with chapped lips so I cannot attest to its balm qualities. I did use it frequently during the week I was in dry and cold Utah and it was much better than the other lip products I brought with me.

It's great for casual looks where you don't want to commit to a heavy lip color. If they were less expensive I would be inclined to buy them all.

Warning: once you try this it's hard to use any similar products without finding yourself comparing them to this one which imo s the gold standard.

I gotta say, Papaya and Raspberry aren't as impressive as the darker colors in this line. They have a very subtle tinge to them and are almost imperceptible on my lips. I like them, but I don't love them like the others.

Update 9/5/2014: 12-Framboise Craquante has a weird gritty feel on the lips. I'm not sure if the shimmer particles are the culprit. On my lips this looks like a straight gloss.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by dv_27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Owning this is product is definitely a luxury, Very certain there are many cheaper alternatives to this product. I bought this balm with my 15% code @ Sephora, which makes it ok. I have this is in the shade Dewy Papaya, which is a sheer peach on the lips. Goes on very nicely on the lips, needs reapplication, nice packaging and doesn't moisturize the lips too well though. Overall its a fancy balm with a hefty price tag.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2014 7:04:00 AM More reviews by Terpsichorean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hope this review helps - my first review.

I normally use Jane Iredale lipstick in a sheer-ish formula/ shade or a Jane Iredale gloss. I thought I would branch out and try something a bit different. Unfortunately I find the negatives outweight the positives.

I agree with other reviewers who found this very drying on the lips. I haven't had dry lips at all this winter, after one use of this product my lips became dried out and rough. I don't usually have particularly sensitive or dry lips.

The packaging is obviously very nice and the colour (Sweet Fig) is a really lovely colour and suits my pale neutral to warm tones well. It's a clear pale reddish colour, not too warm and not too cold. The staying power is poor which one may expect with a sheer product but the fact that the formula is so drying didn't make it appealing to keep reapplying, the main sell is the colour but it's too bright to be able to reapply it quickly without worrying about mistakes, so it seems to defeat the purpose in my mind.

The texture seems too glossy to my mind, too much like a lip balm you'd get in a pot - which for me doesn't sit well with the bright pigmentation, nor the fact it's in a stick form.

The sweet candy smell whilst not being too sickly or overpowering wasn't really my bag either. I can see what the concept was - but it's just not my cup of tea.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by AnEnglishRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have two and I love them! I have number 8 & 12. One's a raspberry pink while the other is more purple.

They give you just the right amount of color to give a subtle hint and shine. Looks very natural. Can be layered for a brighter color. Can also be layered over lipsticks. I notice I love to use them over lipsticks that can dry a little too matte - and the ysl texture over it gives my lips a smoother feel and texture.

I just love the scent. It's a little fruity - my mom says this is how she remembers her own mother's lipsticks smelling. And the tube is beautiful!!! I realize that's probably why this costs so much, but I feel like the tube can be reused for lipsticks forever if you feel so inclined to do so. I always feel a little luxurious pulling this out to reapply. Everyone always comments on the tube when they see it. "How fancy!"

Overall: love. Pricey, but a great item to splurge on.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by prinsessekristine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love these.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Rachy74

This is my favorite lipstick of all time.. I have the color mouthwatering berry. I will eventually own them all! And it doesn't hurt that the scent is to die for!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 1:14:00 PM More reviews by pcsheather

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

these are lovely! the smell, the slickness on the lips, the packaging- all to die for! it's expensive, but it makes me happy every time i use it- so worth it to me! i love giving these as gifts & having everyone else fall in love with them too!