Yves Saint Laurent Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm

on 7/3/2015 11:12:00 AM

LOVE!! This product is perfect for me, maybe because I'm not really a lipstick person. I like having just a sheer hint of moisturizing color on my lips. And the silky, luxurious texture of YSL's Candy Sheers is the BEST!
I have bought two of these, Lush Coconut and Griotte Mocha (both neutral shades) and Griotte Mocha is actually my all-time HG. MLBB perfection, I would buy it again and again! I love how it gives my lips just a hint of color without looking overdone, very natural yet flattering and pulled-together.
Super-moisturizing, never any problems with my lips drying out. Long-lasting too, I don't feel the need to reapply this a million times a day. And I love the packaging, it's very ornate and substantial. Looks so pretty in my makeup case.
I recommend YSL's Candy Sheers for anyone who's looking for a sheer, moisturizing lip color. One of my all-time favorite products!

on 6/12/2015 7:13:00 PM

OK, where should I start... Perhaps with banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what on earth made me buy this. Was it a handful of great reviews read and listened to on the day before I committed this most ridiculous purchase? Was it the nice packaging or how lovely it felt applied on my lips when tested in the department store? Or maybe it was just the act of denial when 2 weeks before pay day I am already almost totally out of cash: Who can't afford this? I can't afford this? Let me show you! Yeah!!!.

errr, yes, so back to the reason no 1 - somehow, after I bought it, dozens of bad reviews have miraculously replaced those glorifying ones. And these are so true...

Now on to reason no 2: Yes, this felt lovely just after application, but I did not give it more then 15 minutes before I went back to buy the full product...

And just to add to all the misery, I got it in number 3 which is just clear on my lips. So, some other people that complained about the formula, at least have some color out of this. I have nothing but a pretty looking yet totally useless lip product that managed to damage my lips terribly in just first 24 hours of using it.

To summarize, totally not worth the money. Does absolutely nothing to your (my lips). What is especially annoying, is that this balm is supposed to have super moisturizing properties, while in fact it dries out my lips pretty badly. In fact, after just a day of using it, it feels like I got my lips sunburned. And it supposed to last for 8 hours - 30 minutes and I need to reapply. The above complaints are reflected in many other reviews.

Seriously, my 1.50 Nivea lip balm does better job. In the end, since I already have this and I suppose I have to use it (if I am to get rid off this 'buyer's remorse' thing), I decided I will just keep it as a lip balm for 'special occasions'. But then I thought what am I going to say that is if anybody ask? A 25 lip balm (most women recognize YSL packaging and many know nothing from them cost less than 25) ??!!!. Ridiculous, all the way. Steer clear.

on 1/15/2015 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am really, really disappointed by this. Bought this in Mouthwatering Berry quite a while ago as a splurge. I have not tried any other colors, so maybe I just got unlucky.

I would most compare these to Revlon Colorburst lip butters as far as my collection goes. Besides the packaging, unfortunately, Colorburst wins in every category. I'm kind of appalled at the quality of the Sheer Candy balm considering the price. It's far less smooth going on than drugstore equivalents, the color is not as even, and it feels like it slips right off your lips. It feels like a thin, lower quality lip product.

Such a disappointment. I recommend saving your money and heading to the Revlon aisle to look at the balm stains or lip butters for a fraction of the cost, better color, and more even, lasting coverage. Revlon has a lot of colors similar to YSL's line and is my go-to now. This one's not worth it unless you are REALLY a hardcore sucker for packaging alone.

on 12/26/2014 5:12:00 PM

Beautifully packaged lip balm, but too expensive for what it is. Sadly, my chapstick lasts longer.

on 12/22/2014 2:41:00 PM

I love this entire line YSL Sheer Candy balms, they're luxe, feel wonderful, smell & taste great and the colors are so nice! These are never sticky or goopy, just right-- silky and soft. Yes, they get used up fast, as it's a soft balmy formula, but for the joy of using this, I'll keep buying!
They're less pigmented than the Revlon lip butters in most cases, just adding a smooth burst of crystal colors to add shine and dimention to the lips.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I fell in love with Sweet Fig on a recent trip to Sephora. In the tube it's a gorgeous, slightly scorched red. The packaging is pure luxury: a heavy silver bullet with the iconic red and gold YSL logo. When I put it on, I was pleasantly surprised by the texture, which is moist but not sticky, and stays put remarkably well. I can't stand the Revlon lip butters everybody loves, I find them slippery, smushy in the tube, pitifully pigmented, and the color always winds up on my teeth. Sheer Candy was like a breath of fresh air and I bought it immediately.

After using it for about a day, I was still really impressed with the formula. It just feels so GOOD. So moisturizing and luscious. It doesn't just sit on top of your lips, either, but moisturizes and even provides a very subtle stain as it fades. The product also retains it shape as you use it, instead of smashing into the tube (unlike the aforementioned Revlon butters.)

My quibble here is that I want the product to be just a touch more pigmented. I know, I know, it's a sheer product. But my lips are very pigmented and I found that for the price, and the number of layers I had to use for this to show up on me (and Sweet Fig is one of the darker shades!), I just can't justify the price of this product. However, I'm still tempted by it every time I walk into Sephora.

on 5/9/2014 6:49:00 PM

I love these for all the same reasons others have said--nice formula, good colors, the packaging, and a pleasant scent. I owned 3 colors including Tangy Mandarine and Sweet Fig. I feel like issuing a PSA, however, on how quickly the bullet gets used up. These have nothing like the longevity of my other lipsticks--between their sheerness and how quickly they fade, you need to reapply a lot. AND as you reapply, the stuff gets used up before you know it. After only a few months of irregular use, all three of mine are almost gone.

For the price this is just not justifiable. I have enjoyed having these in my collection but will not get any more.

on 4/23/2014 9:40:00 PM

To be honest I have been eyeing these for a really long time. The Dewy Papaya shade to be exact. I personally couldn't bring myself to fork out the money for a lip product that's meant to be sheer. I remember being in awe with the fancy packaging and how gorgeous the shade of peach is. Still, I steered myself away from it because I couldn't justify spending that amount of money. Not until the recent Sephora sale, of course.

Is it worth it? Definitely. Despite how simple it is, I don't think any product similar to this could be of this caliber which makes you want more. It really is sheer as the name itself claims. It's a nice peachy shade that gives my lips an extra oomph without being over the top. Still very work appropriate. It's moisturizing but not quite enough but it doesn't make my lips peel so I can't complain. I find that I do have to reapply a few times through the day. It's a very pretty glossy finish that makes you look a bit more polished. Lastly, the scent is so damn good! I can't help myself but to sniff it when I whip this out.

on 4/21/2014 3:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was so impressed by Guava, I bought this in Pomegranate and Papaya when Sephora had their 15% off spring sale. I like the light feel of the gloss and sheer color payoff. It feels nice on the lips. I don't have a problem with chapped lips so I cannot attest to its balm qualities. I did use it frequently during the week I was in dry and cold Utah and it was much better than the other lip products I brought with me.

It's great for casual looks where you don't want to commit to a heavy lip color. If they were less expensive I would be inclined to buy them all.

Warning: once you try this it's hard to use any similar products without finding yourself comparing them to this one which imo s the gold standard.

I gotta say, Papaya and Raspberry aren't as impressive as the darker colors in this line. They have a very subtle tinge to them and are almost imperceptible on my lips. I like them, but I don't love them like the others.

Update 9/5/2014: 12-Framboise Craquante has a weird gritty feel on the lips. I'm not sure if the shimmer particles are the culprit. On my lips this looks like a straight gloss.

on 4/7/2014 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Owning this is product is definitely a luxury, Very certain there are many cheaper alternatives to this product. I bought this balm with my 15% code @ Sephora, which makes it ok. I have this is in the shade Dewy Papaya, which is a sheer peach on the lips. Goes on very nicely on the lips, needs reapplication, nice packaging and doesn't moisturize the lips too well though. Overall its a fancy balm with a hefty price tag.