April 21, 2014 | 954 users online

Lips - Yves Saint Laurent - Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by HiGayle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so impressed by Guava, I bought this in Pomegranate and Papaya when Sephora had their 15% off spring sale. I like the light feel of the gloss and sheer color payoff. It feels nice on the lips. I don't have a problem with chapped lips so I cannot attest to its balm qualities. I did use it frequently during the week I was in dry and cold Utah and it was much better than the other lip products I brought with me.

It's great for casual looks where you don't want to commit to a heavy lip color. If they were less expensive I would be inclined to buy them all.

Warning: once you try this it's hard to use any similar products without finding yourself comparing them to this one which imo s the gold standard.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by dv_27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Owning this is product is definitely a luxury, Very certain there are many cheaper alternatives to this product. I bought this balm with my 15% code @ Sephora, which makes it ok. I have this is in the shade Dewy Papaya, which is a sheer peach on the lips. Goes on very nicely on the lips, needs reapplication, nice packaging and doesn't moisturize the lips too well though. Overall its a fancy balm with a hefty price tag.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/2/2014 7:04:00 AM More reviews by Terpsichorean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hope this review helps - my first review.

I normally use Jane Iredale lipstick in a sheer-ish formula/ shade or a Jane Iredale gloss. I thought I would branch out and try something a bit different. Unfortunately I find the negatives outweight the positives.

I agree with other reviewers who found this very drying on the lips. I haven't had dry lips at all this winter, after one use of this product my lips became dried out and rough. I don't usually have particularly sensitive or dry lips.

The packaging is obviously very nice and the colour (Sweet Fig) is a really lovely colour and suits my pale neutral to warm tones well. It's a clear pale reddish colour, not too warm and not too cold. The staying power is poor which one may expect with a sheer product but the fact that the formula is so drying didn't make it appealing to keep reapplying, the main sell is the colour but it's too bright to be able to reapply it quickly without worrying about mistakes, so it seems to defeat the purpose in my mind.

The texture seems too glossy to my mind, too much like a lip balm you'd get in a pot - which for me doesn't sit well with the bright pigmentation, nor the fact it's in a stick form.

The sweet candy smell whilst not being too sickly or overpowering wasn't really my bag either. I can see what the concept was - but it's just not my cup of tea.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by AnEnglishRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have two and I love them! I have number 8 & 12. One's a raspberry pink while the other is more purple.

They give you just the right amount of color to give a subtle hint and shine. Looks very natural. Can be layered for a brighter color. Can also be layered over lipsticks. I notice I love to use them over lipsticks that can dry a little too matte - and the ysl texture over it gives my lips a smoother feel and texture.

I just love the scent. It's a little fruity - my mom says this is how she remembers her own mother's lipsticks smelling. And the tube is beautiful!!! I realize that's probably why this costs so much, but I feel like the tube can be reused for lipsticks forever if you feel so inclined to do so. I always feel a little luxurious pulling this out to reapply. Everyone always comments on the tube when they see it. "How fancy!"

Overall: love. Pricey, but a great item to splurge on.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2014 2:55:00 PM More reviews by prinsessekristine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love these.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Rachy74

This is my favorite lipstick of all time.. I have the color mouthwatering berry. I will eventually own them all! And it doesn't hurt that the scent is to die for!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 1:14:00 PM More reviews by pcsheather

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

these are lovely! the smell, the slickness on the lips, the packaging- all to die for! it's expensive, but it makes me happy every time i use it- so worth it to me! i love giving these as gifts & having everyone else fall in love with them too!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2013 8:25:00 PM More reviews by jodmeister

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have this in #7, Sweet Fig. This is a beautiful color, a nice, neutral red on me and the packaging is definitely decedent. However, for being a balm, it's not moisturizing at all. That's why I'm subtracting 2 lippies. I'll enjoy the beautiful packaging while I have it because I won't be purchasing again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2013 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Tashi09

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had a Sephora 20% off coupon, or I might never have taken the plunge... I don't care so much about the fancy packaging, but it probably is the thing that convinced me to try it, because it might be amazing...

And I just love it. I have Sweet Fig (a nice red) and Mouthwatering Berry (a nice berry) and I use them constantly. The sheer color has enough presence, and I find that the moisture lasts a really long time, even if the color doesn't seem to. I have always gone for sheer lipsticks (still in mourning for LORAC Just Kissed, but this is helping me get over it). The scent is light and doesn't bother me at all; in fact it's kind of enjoyable (and I'm Ms. Unscented Everything). A winning splurge.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by sweetdase

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Buying this product was a HUGE splurge for me.. HUGE. I would NEVER buy products this expensive but the packaging was what caught my eye! It is SO pretty and has such quality to it. Usually I don't get fooled into buying YSL products because it is so expensive but I caved in to buying this. I bought it in #2 Dewy Papaya. Honestly, when I was at Sephora trying this, they didn't have #2 as a tester for me to see how pigmented it was on my skin. When I asked the SA, she opened a NEW lip gloss just for me to test it and to put it as the tester on display! I felt guilty that if I tested it and didn't buy it, it would've been such a waste. The other colors were very pretty as well but when I tested #2 out, I thought it is very natural and neutral that it would suit me as I don't wear heavy pigmented lipsticks nor do I like a lot of color. I like hints of color, which is exactly what this lip balm/gloss did for me. It is very smooth and glossy and gives me a subtle hint of color on my lips which is exactly what I wanted. In terms of moisturizing/hydration, it's not the greatest as you'd need to reapply it, but I wear this on top of chapstick anyway. I believe it cost me $39CAD so that's a splurge for a lip balm/gloss.But since I do enjoy this, I'd repurchase or buy another color when mine runs out.