April 17, 2014 | 1420 users online

Styling Products - Garnier - Pure Clean Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by ccarlino

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'll add to the several mostly positive comments below! This is truly a decent gel and I've had fairly good results. For reference, I have natural curly hair that is cut in a short layered bob (growing out a pixie). This product works much better on my hair than several high-end styling products I've recently tried including Pureology, L'anza, Kenra, Aquage and Redkin -- all pure fluff!

How I use: "After" blow dry styling with a round brush, I apply a small amount of the gel and apply it as a finishing product. It works to softly hold the style throughout the day. Controls and smooths the frizzies too!

Good product but would not recommend for long hair.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2013 4:22:00 PM More reviews by w0wa

I usually use Garnier's curl scrunching gel but I decided to try this one because of the good reviews and the way they market this as being "pure" (as to how true that statement is, I don't know). It's ooookay, I don't love it but it's not horrible. It leaves my curls looking defined but the issue I have with this is that it makes my hair stick together a lot and it turns really hard, an issue I don't have with the curl scrunching gel. I will finish this tube but I will go back to my regular gel next time.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 5:48:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Claims - True or False?
1) 24-hour hold: Sometimes
2) Extra-strong hold: False
3) No Flaking: True
4) No Residue: False

Packaging:
In a squeeze tube with a flip cap, packaging's plastic material is very soft and clear on the bottom half which allows you to see when it is running low. Flip cap is easy to close and open, no issues with the cap breaking or weakening with regular use. Ingredients are listed on the back of the bottle and easy to read. Aesthetically pleasing enough design, moderately simple.

Formula:
Silicone-, protein-, dye-, paraben-free. My only concern was for the first two ingredients being omitted. It does contain a strong fragrance that is light and citrusy. Thickish consistency, clear, but doesn't seem completely smooth and gel-like.. it's almost like snot really. The formula is also sticky to the touch and leaves skin feeling sticky when it dries.

Performance:
I've used between 1/3rd and 1/2 of the product and overall this gel just doesn't suit my hair. I used the gel to help hold my natural curls and the results were inconsistent, I was never able to really determine when it would work properly or how to get it to work properly. I've tried using less, more, alone, over conditioner, under conditioner, on very wet hair, on t-shirt dried hair, mixed with conditioner, and none of these gave me the perfect hair I wanted. Applying it under conditioner (and I believe applying some to wet hair and then some to t-shirt dried hair) seemed to give the best results. I found that when I would scrunch it in it would stick - as I scrunched my hair would stick to my hands and my hands/hair felt sticky until I very thoroughly scrunched it in, and this stickiness could pull out the curl sometimes and in other instances it would enhance the curl. It also increased drying time for my hair by maybe an hour or less, and with my t-shirt drying it already can take up to 2 hours to dry. As my hair dried I could feel the stickiness in my hair, but once dry I mostly didn't feel it. Could leave hair crunchy but this was easily scrunched out unless too much was used. It definitely tangled and dried out my ends though, and I'd suspect that it was due to the lithium magnesium sodium silicate which has a salt component to it. I believe that that and the glycerin caused some frizz, and the benzyl alcohol and/or the gum(s) left residue in my hair that was very difficult to rinse out with just water and required a cowash to remove. When the product performed well though, it gave me springy curls with spirals and ringlets, shine, and decent shrinkage, and I could get 2nd day hair with it easily. I felt that I had to use a lot of it though to get it to work well, but that would sometimes just weigh it down.

Bang for your Buck:
Prices vary, I've seen it for around $3 at Target and closer to $6-$7 at Shoppers Drug Mart. Contains 200ml. With almost daily use in the last month or two I've already used up half the product, so I feel it could end up being used quickly unless you don't have a lot of hair or don't need a lot of hold.

Final Consensus:
This isn't a horrible product but the ingredients just aren't ideal for my hair properties and the results just aren't consistent enough to want to bother continuing with trying out different methods of use. I'd not repurchase but I would still recommend it to others looking for a cheap gel if their hair is okay with the above-mentioned ingredients.
* Overall Rating: 3/5
* Price: 1/5
* Packaging Quality: 4/5
* Repurchase: No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 12:08:00 PM More reviews by gracie114

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite gel. I have naturally curly hair and love the hold and definition I get with this product. The price is a lot lower than my Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, and I don't have the flaking issues I had with BRHG. Highly recommended for all curly girls!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Though I haven't dabbled too much in gels, I can say that Garnier's Pure Clean Gel is definitely the best one that I've tried thus far. I liked that this one felt much more light in consistency compared to others I've tried. It wasn't as thick and was a bit more spreadable than I was expecting, but perhaps that has something to do with the absence of heavy silicones? In spite of the lack of 'cones, this gel really provides a nice shine without giving that semi-greasy "wet look". It imparts a very natural, believable sheen to my curls that I quite like. Plus, it has a very subtle citrus fragrance to it that keeps my hair smelling good.

As far as the hold is concerned, I definitely think you can get a very strong hold out of it, but I think you'd really have to load your hair down with product to get that effect if your hair is quite thick. It's really important to dispense this gel evenly through out your hair, otherwise you might get some patches that ARE quite crunchy. Thankfully, the crunch is very, very easy scrunch out without totally eliminating the hold or causing frizz. Once the crunch is gone this product leaves my hair feeling soft and touchable rather than gummy.
I also really love how even though this gel doesn't dry particularly hard, I can still get 2nd and even sometimes 3rd day hair out of it depending on the humidity/weather. This is a really big plus for me as I have long and insanely thick hair that takes forever to dry, so washing it and re-styling it everyday is NOT an option for me. Pure Clean Gel plays well when layered with cream products too, which is something that many gels simply can't do.

I got this gel as a kick-down from my product junkie mom who has all sorts of potions, putties, waxes and creams to hold up her short 'n spiky 'do. Even though I got it for free this time, I'd have no reservations picking this gel up again when I run out and I'd definitely consider it a steal as far as price goes. It's certainly more inexpensive and widely available than many of the gels regularly touted by curly hair sites (Kinky Curly's Curling Custard for example) but it preforms well. Pure Clean Gel does everything I need it to do and I couldn't recommend it for fellow curlies enough!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by alisonst

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

*To clarify, the only reason I gave this 4 lipsticks and not 5 is because this is the first gel I have ever tried so I wanted to give myself some wiggle room in the future.

I honestly never thought that I'd use a hair gel, ever. In my mind when I heard hair gel I thought backstreet boys and frosted tips and I don't think I'm the only one. Well, no more! I actually bought this after seeing a hair tutorial for curly girls. This gel has no silicones and no sulfates (YAY) and it's almost entirely natural (YAYAYAY)!

In terms of usage it is aweesome. I use this gel on my dry and wet hair to hold my curl pattern and also to set my styles. Because I don't shower every day (I am a very dry person) it is a MUST for my hair products that there is NO buildup and this product is perfect for that. And I put on gobs of this stuff, GOBS. Like a ridiculous amount hahah! Sometimes I do get some crunch but I usually kind of aim for that (as weird as that sounds) because I find that when it dries a bit crunchy I can scrunch it out and then have curls that last overnight! It's so hard to find styling and hold products that don't leave buildup and don't weight hair down but this is one of them! I would recommend, again and again, and I will very likely rebuy. Oh, and it's a good price and goes on sale often.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Vickybliss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

A cone free gel that smells pleasant and is cheap. It has a very strong hold, so much that I need to scrunch out the crunch after blowing my hair dry. A new staple in my rotation.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2013 12:58:00 PM More reviews by alyssa1312

I love this product! I'm trying to grow my hair out so I've been trying to use less heat. I was looking for something to make my naturally crazy hair have less frizz and more curl. Most gels and things make my hair hard and crunchy but this is perfect! As my hair was drying it felt super crunchy but once it was done it looked like a natural pretty curl! I love that i don't have to use a curling iron or straightener anymore to make my hair look decent!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by missmadisonave

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this is a great gel! really provides a lot of hold without being crunchy, and the hold really lasts. my hair is pretty fine and is very difficult to curl, so this is a big deal. it smells nice, too. will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2012 7:07:00 PM More reviews by Elara99

I love this product! You definetly shouldn't squeeze it out and slap it on your hair. You should mix it and spread it out through both of your hands and then finger it through you hair. It hen you should brush it through with a couple squirts of water. It's and amazing product and it will last forever!