July 28, 2014 | 2136 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Volume Series 1 1/2 Inch Hot Air Curling Iron & Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2012 12:51:00 PM More reviews by jumbojuice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have owned about three total and I have been using them for over 14 years. I love it! I have baby fine hair that is easily damaged. I can use this without any heat protection products. The "brush" I use to straighten my hair. It never leaves my hair frizzy like a blow dryer or straightener.
I am not sure how effective it would be for thicker hair but I could never do without it!

I should add that I rarely use it on dry hair, mostly on wet. I sit at a my computer while I am drying my hair. It is fantastic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2012 3:17:00 AM More reviews by viennah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

My sister stole it and I want it back! Might just buy myself another if I can find it! This is amazing, it blows alot of air, and it gets really hot. It adds a lot of volume, but it a very controlled away, it smooths out any frizz, or kinks. You can use it to add volume, straighten, and curl. Sexy sexy hair. However, I only like the brush attachmentm the curling attachment isnt as awesome, just ok.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2011 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Darn it - I bought this product plus the Conair Infiniti 1 1/4 inch hot air brush at the same time so I could see which one I liked better. Both were under $30 and I got them both at Walmart. Trouble is I don't know which one I like better! So please check my other review which will refer to this one etc. They both have something the other doesn't and both work equally well for what they offer.

This one is model CD160RC - it has dual voltage. I see there is a review for what looks the the same one different colour? The reviews posted there seem to be a catch all of this and other similar models. This one is called Volume Series so I thought I'd create a new review.

I have a chin length bob with long layers in the front and short in the back. My hair is fine, with a huge wave running through it which always creates a challenge, and I'm getting older so my hair is getting a little thin, frizzy, limp, delicate, etc.
I have to say this tool does what it says it will do. It has interchangeable heads - a metal core round brush with plastic teeth, and a lever-style curling iron. The unit is fairly light weight, has a nice white/black/pink foil look which is very appealing and a swivel cord that never gets in the way. The heads are easy to interchange and the switch is conveniently located with two setting plus off. Unlike the Infiniti Hot Air brush, I never accidentally turned it off while using it. The size of the wand concerned me but it isn't too hard to hold and style, and the brush size did work well for the long layers in my style.

*Like*: The hard plastic bristles grab my hair without pulling or tangling. The results of a pass-through is very nice - smooth, shiny, rounded. Not glass-like frizz free, but good results. Doesn't get too hot. Both temp/power settings work well. You don't have to wait for anything to heat up, you just plug in, turn on and go. Like the big barrel curling iron with hot air - it doesn't pull my delicate strands, or crunch my hair and put dents in it. I actually use it like a flat iron, but instead of flat ironing, it round irons it. Easy to handle, never have burned my hand (but I do have a nice heat glove if I choose).
*Don't Like*: Have to use a blow dryer first if my hair is too damp, so another tool is needed. Found I needed to use the blow dryer with a 3/4 inch rounded brush first to turn under the shorter hair at the nape of my neck - which are where my wave starts. This tool can't handle it because the barrel is too big.

So this isn't my all-in-one tool, but I like having the curling iron - it's better than the other 1/2 inch one I have - and I like the brush barrel, hot air, and the smoothing quality it gives to my hair. The picture here shows my results. I haven't found the results to last all day though - that's partially my cut which currently isn't working with my wave, and eventually stubborn sections of my hair will flip up again when the rest is flipped under! Argh. Doesn't eliminate frizz. However I enjoy using the tool and it still works better for me than my FHI dryer and a round brush - I'm just hopeless with that and overall results with my FHI is a disappointment.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No