April 17, 2014 | 1532 users online

Makeup Brushes - Shiseido - Perfect Foundation Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2014 11:57:00 AM More reviews by starzi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I LOVE this brush! Gives you a flawless look depending on how you apply it. Swiping it will give you normal coverage, but if you dab it, it will give you more coverage whilst not looking too heavy! However, it does eat up more foundation compared to other foundation brushes, I think because of how dense it is, but its the density which gives the flawless, heavier coverage! Takes longer to dry too after washing, so I always make sure I give it plenty of time to dry, or put it under the sun. I like that the handle isn't too long, as I've noticed with my MAC one, I keep jabbing the mirror whilst applying foundation. I've had this brush over a year now, (2years this xmas), and haven't noticed any shedding maybe around 5 bristles have fallen off since? The handle and logo look pretty much the same as when I bought them. Great quality brush, does what I want it to do and more! Will definitely replace this one when I need to get rid of it, but I don't think that will be any time soon! Price wise, wasn't too bad, think I bought it for HKD400.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 11:23:00 AM More reviews by Blahble

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I rated this fairly high because even though the price is high, it's not (much) higher than, say, a MAC foundation brush, and I find that it does the job much better. Given that, the value I'm paying is more worthwhile and yes, I would buy it again!

I've had this for 1.5 years but never really got how to use it. I read the reviews and thought that I just HAD to have this as my foundation was looking... well, you could see it! Flawless skin I did not have.

I played around with it and didn't find much difference than if I used a MAC 190 brush, which was disappointing. I tried stippling, swiping, buffing, but to no avail. On top of that, I found that it sucked up foundation like crazy! What used to take 1 pump took almost 2. =O

The secret? APPLY CIRCLES OF FOUNDATION TO YOUR FACE FIRST. I somehow stumbled across Shiseido's how-to videos for this brush earlier this week and just *had* to try this out. Lo and behold, my face looked flawless! Even spots which needed more coverage didn't look more covered, if you know what I mean.

So now my foundations, which I thought just weren't connecting with my skin well (get it? cuz it's just sitting on top?... haha... oh well) have gotten a new lease with this brush, and my wallet can breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not on the hunt for a new foundation! Altho the Hourglass matte sample I tried is di-vine. Any case, my Burberry Sheer foundation and Velvet foundation will bve used to the last drop I can get, and I'll give MUFE another go too.

Links to the vids:
Shiseido USA (good for understanding different technique for different forms of foundation but more like an ad/promo clip than a true how-to)

Shiseido HK (done in Japanese but much more thorough in showing the difference after application)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxy2i2cp27Y

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by msh9899

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The Shiseido Foundation brush applies foundation like no other foundation brush (paddle or other Kabuki-style brush), sponge or Beauty Blender that I've ever used. It is a Kabuki type of brush w/ a rounded, flat head which is comprised of very dense, short, angled, synthetic hairs. The hairs are super soft & silky to the touch. The black, wooden handle is shorter than your typical foundation brush as the entire brush, from bottom of the handle to the longest end of its slanted bristles, is a mere 4 1/2 inches long. The diameter of the brush head is a smidge less than that of a quarter (as in the US coin). I was initially disappointed and puzzled by its diminutive size but after a few uses, I was in love. The smaller size makes it less cumbersome to hold and the smaller brush-head helps to target tighter corners on the face such as the sides of the nose and the inner corners of the eyes. It's also very travel friendly.

I use 3 different techniques to apply product with this brush: 1) brush on using back & forth &/or up & down motions 2) swirl on using circular motions, swirling product into skin 3) stippling, sort of bluntly tapping product in and onto the skin. Each technique produces a somewhat different effect and I find that swirling gives the lightest finish and stippling produces heavier coverage. As for the overall finish this brush produces, with any application method, I would describe it as "air-brushed" and incredibly natural. It applies foundation and concealer flawlessly and does not create any tell-tale streaks or lines. I've used it w/ liquid, cream & stick foundations, TM's, BB creams and w/ all types of u/e concealers. I don't use mineral or powder foundations so I can't say if it would work as well w/ them.

I bought mine at least 4 years ago and although it's not cheap ($30 US), it's less expensive than many other HE brushes and offers exceptional quality and durability, so IMO, it's worth every cent. I have washed this brush 30+ times in very warm, sudsy water and not one, single hair has ever shed from it nor has the quality or softness of the bristles deteriorated. Furthermore, the wooden handle's finish and the metal around the brush has not peeled, cracked, flaked or faded. It honestly looks brand new despite its daily use and many "shampoos".

Washing it is not difficult- I stand brush up (brush head facing down) in a disposable cup of a very warm, soapy mixture of either my shampoo or liquid dish detergent and soak the bristles for about 5 minutes. As it soaks, I push down on it and swirl it around a few times to further release any product and then I rinse it in under cold, running water until the water runs clear. Next, I blot on a white paper towel to make sure it's clean, repeat if necessary and let it air dry overnight. Because it is so dense, it does require more time than other foundation brushes do to dry so I always allow at least 8-10 hours of drying time. The extra drying time may be an issue for some but I personally think it's worth it. This is how I clean and dry all of my makeup brushes so I don't find the process to be an additional burden. .

The Shiseido Foundation brush is an absolutely fabulous foundation brush! It is sleek and sexy (yeah, I think a makeup brush can actually be sexy!), well made, superior in quality, and provides a flawless, natural finish.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 8:15:00 AM More reviews by ceen

Enhances foundation application, delivering polished finish with relative ease, saving both time and effort. Highly portable too. A winner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2014 9:07:00 AM More reviews by MintyBr33z3

i like this brush a lot and do hope that shisedo would make brushes. i liked how soft and well put the whole btush was, but i can see why everyone hates cleaning it. in terms of application it is almost flawless.. okay it was flawless for me, but everyone has different sets of application skills... so cant say that this is for everyone, but i would highly recommend this brush just because i love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 8:04:00 AM More reviews by ronjajessica

This brush is absolutely amazing. It applies any foundation (liquid, cream, even powder) beautifully on to your skin. Also it maximizes the coverage that the product gives (if you use patting movements to apply the product).
The size of the brush can be a problem for somebody, but I find it actually very great. You can get very precise application with tiny brush and also it is easier to apply foundation under your eyes, sides of your nose and so on.
Also the price is OK. Little on the expensive side, but reasonable for a good quality brush, that last very long time.
Even tho the prize is okay, if for some reason I would lost or break this brush, I wouldn't spend my money on it again. I would maybe try a cheaper, same style brush for instead.

Only downside of this brush would be the cleaning. Because the bristles are so dense and short, cleaning can be a pain in the bum. But with patience and good brush cleaning method you can win the situation.

And then to end a little pros and cons for a easy access review:

PROS
+ Applies foundation beautifully
+ Easy to use
+ Small size is convenient (easier to apply small areas of your face, good for travelling)

CONS
- CLEANING IS VERY VERY HARD
- Small size can be a problem for somebody
- Applying foundation is little slower with such a small brush

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2013 11:43:00 AM More reviews by punkface

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation brush is great! It can be used with creams, liquids or powders. The only con is that it eats up foundation, you really need to deep clean this brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Cherishedadvice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great brush, very tiny though. My arms were hurting but it helped camouflage my pores. I'm glad I bought it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Paigeyuwen

This is the best foundation brush I hv ever used , the hair are really soft, and really easy to apply foundation evenly. But so far, the only problem I found is to clean the brush. Different from normal brush, this brush has really intense and short hair, thus when I was Doing the cleaning , I found there were some foundation still stick on the inner part of the brush, and really hard to get them off.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2013 9:39:00 AM More reviews by 1angel1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It works and works.