August 29, 2014 | 1855 users online

Moisturizers - L'Occitane - Angelica Hydration Cream

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2014 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Janine8186

I had a sample of this and used on a long flight and was impressed. It felt gorgeous on and wasn't greasy or sticky. So I bought a full size jar. BIG MISTAKE. Within a few days my skin looked dry and flaky and actually hurt when I took my make up off. When Worn with make up over the top after a few hours it's dry in places and oily in others. Will not be repurchasing. If anyone can recommend a moisturiser for some one with combination skin (oily and dry) who can experience sensitivity please let me know! I'm spending a fortune trying loads of different lotions

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

List of current ingredients:

Water, Coconut Alkanes, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cetearyl Isononanoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Coco Caprylate/Caprate, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Angelica Archangelica Root Extract, Angelica Archangelica Root Oil, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Methylsilanol Mannuronate, Mentha Piperita Oil (Peppermint), Cetearyl Glucoside, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Cetyl Alcohol, Xylitylglucoside, Fragrance, Anhydroxylitol, Corn Starch Modified, Tocopherol, Xylitol, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Viola Tricolor Extract, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Isostearate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Benzoate, Sorbic Acid, Limonene

Review: During a trip to visit family out of town, I needed to borrow moisturiser. My sister had this on the counter, and since I use a few L'Occitane products (milk cleanser, hand cream etc) and haven't had any issues with them, I figured I would try this out. I ended up using it for 3 days without checking ingredients. Not good. The first time I used it, my skin felt so soft and nice! But by the second time, it was red and itchy and by Day 3 - burning and itchy. Finally looked up ingredients - because at this point, my calm skin had gone haywire, and this was the only new addition. I instantly regretted carelessly slapping this on.

In addition to irritation, I also would not keep using it because of the coconut-based ingredients (can be pore-clogging) and I can't stand jar packaging even if it comes with a spatula, and I feel like anything in jars will go off sooner (change texture, smell etc).

It's sad because although the texture was nice, and it made my skin feel good for that single day, the ingredients are the biggest problem. EO's are very irritating/sensitizing and can cause reactions, and this cream includes peppermint oil among others. My skin does not do well with lots of fragrance and EO's - and this may not be the case for everyone but there are many studies regarding the negative effects of applying such ingredients to skin so I wish L'Occitane would create more products suitable for sensitive skin. I will leave a link to one regarding only the peppermint oil, there are also studies on the Angelica oil and other ingredients for those who want to read through PubMed.

PubMed research on Peppermint Oil and Dermatitis:

" Numerous allergic contact dermatitis reactions to peppermint oil have been described, many of which are linked to both perioral and intraoral disorders. Although peppermint oil is known for its many properties, its role as a sensitizer should be recognized so as to aid in the diagnosis of both dermatitis and oral conditions and to allow the initiation of proper avoidance measures."

rated 3 of 5 on 11/27/2013 8:37:00 PM More reviews by misscoutureland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got a couple of samples of this product and have been using it for close to a month. On one hand it seems to be really helping my skin out, it removes redness from the acne scars I have and seems to have overall improved my skintone. However i do notice that it dries my skin out, after about a weeks use i get a tight, dry feeling to my face, which means I won't be buying a full size version of the product.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by bethanaimeexo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Green

Is moisturising and skins in quickly so I like to use it under my makeup. I hate the smell though so I will not repurchase. It smells like gardening.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 2:53:00 PM More reviews by sonamora

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Beautiful product all round.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2013 1:46:00 AM More reviews by eefenglim

This is a very expensive moisturizer. such a small bottle for RM 176. But, it is WORTH IT! previously i was using clinique 3 step due to my acne prone skin. the doctor ask me to look for non-comedogenic skincare, so i tried clinique 3 step. and yes, clinique did save my acne prone skin. my skin became clear and smooth, but slowly, i realise my skin became drier especially when i smile, i feel the pain as if my skin is cracking. A friend of mine introduce me to L'occitane because all the products are alcohol free and is good for dry and sensitive skin. The sales person in L'occitane recommended angelica range which is also non-comedogenic skin care. All i can say is after one time use, my skin did became better. Even my hubby also notice it the first thing he woke up the next morning. He compliments my skin is brighten up and hydrated. I no longer feel my skin is dry and itchy. I really love this moisturizer. I will definitely purchase again in future! Highly recommended for those who are looking for a moisturizer that is not oily but at the same time can gives ur skin 100% hydration.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I have very acne-prone skin and use Retin-A and the Tanda device to keep acne in check (although it's not 100%). From using these products, I get dry, flaky skin over the pimples I have, but the rest of my face continues to be oily. I bought the travel size version of this product (which per oz. is much more economical) and I was delighted with the results. I use this cream mostly at night because on oily skin, it's a bit too much for during the day, especially if you wear makeup. It soothed and moisturized my irritated skin, but did not cause me to break out. The smell is delicious, which is a bonus. I highly recommend this cream.

A word of advice: The travel-sized version of this cream sells for $10 for .5 oz. whereas the full-sized product sells for $42 for 1.7 oz. The portability of the travel-sized version makes it more affordable and convenient than the full-sized product.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/24/2012 10:08:00 AM More reviews by lavalon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had such high hopes for this cream! My skin recently went through a weird phase where my T-zone stayed its normal kind of oily but my cheeks got drier than ever before. So I saw this advertised, checked out the reviews here (so positive!) and hurried into the shop to get myself a jar of this.
The first time I used it, it felt nice enough on my skin, but didn't seem to help much with the dryness on my cheeks. I used it a few more times over the next week, but it really didn't do anything for my skin.
I had a look at what Paula Begoun had to say about it on her cosmetic cop website, and it was bad news... She mentioned research that shows angelica plants ccontain a chemical which produces a kind of chemical "sunburn" on the skin. Has L'Occitane removed the chemical from the products containing Angelica? Are they aware of the research? How much of the "sunburn" chemical is present in the Angelica extract they use? It may even be that L'Occitane did do something to counteract the harmful effect of this chemical, but how would I know? So I decided it's not worth the risk... and I threw it out (recycling the jar of course). An expensive waste it was...
Happily for me, I found a couple of moisturisers by Trilogy that solved my dryness problem :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by mild_breakout

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is by far my favourite moisturizer. It smooths on easily, and absorbs quickly. My skin is so soft after applying it, and stays moisturized throughout the day, though not oily. The scent is pleasant, I have no complaint about it. Love this, but not the gel cleanser from the same line... that caused my skin to develop a rash. But this moisturizer will be part of my daily routine from now on!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2012 5:12:00 PM More reviews by AllThatGlittters

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I recieved a sample of this and thought it was an excellent moisturiser. It sinks straight into skin and gives a dewy (not greasy) finish. It makes my skin really smooth to touch and softens it. A little goes a long way with this too. It made my liquid foundation apply easier with a better finish aswell. Overall, I would say that this is worth the price!