April 17, 2014 | 1471 users online

Hair - Shea Moisture - Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 6:42:00 PM More reviews by PaleInComparison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is one of my HG hair products. I don't know how it took me so long to find it but I am so glad I did- the entire line of products are really worth the cost and they have decent sales regularly. One of the few products I give 5 stars to after trying at least 100 other curl products.

Pros: Smells nice, easy to apply and mixes well with other products. A small dollop of this and a curl cream make my hair beautiful, shiny, soft and oh so curly. This and Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum have protected my hair so well that I rarely get split ends, knots or tangles in my hair anymore. One tub lasts me at least six months, even with twice daily use when I am working out. My hair smells and looks beautiful, and since I started using the curl shampoo from the same line it looks even more amazing. I have had so many compliments on my curls that I can't rave enough about this product or what it has done for my hair.

Cons: I still use other products, people who don't want a lot of maintenance may want a more all in one product. Does not necessarily bring out curls so much as improve their appearance. The tub means I get product under my nails but I can't see this in a bottle or with a pump.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2014 11:20:00 AM More reviews by sharonstar1212

Ehh I feel like this just made my curls look really frizzy and I felt so much of the product in my hair when I didnt use much. I wouldn't buy this again sorry. I do like all there other products except for this.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2014 4:48:00 PM More reviews by snis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the second hair product in this line that I have tried and I am giving up on this line! I have come to the conclusion that Shea Butter and my curly hair are never going to be friends. The soufflé is heavy and dries out your hair. The Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk I tried before this, was a little less drying but still not very good. Neither of these products did anything to enhance my curls either.

After several days of using this, my hair was like straw. When I went back to my stylist for a haircut she noticed how brittle my hair was and inquired as to what I was using. When I told her she stated that she had had many clients who experienced the same thing I had. She thought that Shea Butter worked as a moisturizer on skin but did not do well for naturally curly hair. After trying the above products, I truly agree. She suggested an oil like aragon or coconut oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 7:57:00 PM More reviews by sleepytree

This review is long overdue. This product is HG for me. I have 2 B/C wavy/curly hair. I have recently converted into the curly girl method which I love so far. Even before I was CG, I've been using this product for a couple of years now and it is the only product I have been consistent with. First of all, I LOVE that it is contains only natural goodness NO silicones, pthalates, parabens etc. Secondly, I love the moisture it gives my hair and how it enhances my curls. I have to have a light hand with this or it will leave my hair a bit weighed down and tacky but with the right amount my hair is nice, soft, and shiny. Using it on wet hair is a must for me. It does not entirely take care of frizz but it does help. My hair is always happiest when I use this product. I stopped using it for a bit because I felt like it was too heavy for my hair but as soon as I stopped I was not liking how my hair looked. I would recommend this for moisture and definition but not as much for hold or frizz control. My hair is definitely healthier after using it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by pinkmouse09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have 3a/b hair and I really like this. I switched to this from Beautiful Textures. My hair is becoming noticeably softer after using this. It really feels like its actually making my hair healthier as well as styling it. I use with with some leave in conditioner and am able to get a few days out of my styles. I think a lot of people are simply using too little or too much of this based on their reviews.

I see a lot of mixed reviews on rest of the line, so I probably won't be trying more stuff unless they are on sale.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by santiagostra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a month into the curly girl method and after searching high and low for products to start with, this is the one I turned to. It got rave reviews and it's supposed to be moisturizing for your hair. The smell is a bit on the fruity side but I like it. It's consistency is thick and creamy. I have curly to wavy Type 3C/3A hair and its medium in strand thickness. After applying my leave in conditioner I put this on, sectioning my hair into 4. It leaves my hair a bit greasy even after experimenting with the amount I put in. It doesn't do much for my frizz. It does leave my hair soft but after a day or two my ends are extremely dry. All in all, it's an ok product. I would buy again but maybe use it sparingly and in conjunction with something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by ellie8811

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The first time I bought this I couldn't figure it out. Made my hair tacky, weighed down, dull. Then I realised I was using way too much. A light hand is definitely needed with this. Literally 1 heaped finger full for you whole head and my hair is moisturised for days. I have type 4 hair, fine strands, medium density. Love it and the tub last for ages. The scent may be a bit strong/sickly for some. I love the scent. If it is too strong I suggest the kids version. It pretty much does the same job, is slightly thicker and has a much more subtle scent. I alternate between the 2.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by amandadee97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Ugh. I have thick, dry, 2c/3a hair. I bought this hoping to use it as a leave in slash gel like product.
First, the smell. I expected something sweet and floral, but this was just cloying and perfumey. It didn't enhance my curls or hydrate them in the slightest. Rather, it made them greasy and crunchy. It could be because my hair is finer and thinner, but I just did not like this.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/13/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by Bela330

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have transitioning 3c curly hair, I've been using the curly girl method to deal with it. I bought this product hoping that it would effectively leave my hair moisturized, shiny, and soft! however, It left my hair stiff and greasy! I have really thin curly hair, and ALOOOT of it, so i hoped it would help define my curls but my curls just ended up straaange... the product actually tightened my curls! the reason i tried it in the first place was because of the yummy smell and the consistency, but don't let it fool ya! I've tried it a few times too, varying in quantity and distribution to see if my results would improve but I'm still pretty unhappy with it ): I do recommend their raw shea butter line (amazing shampoo!)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

What is there to say about Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie? Hmm...
While I do really like this product, I'm not sure that this is the best formulation for my thick but fine textured 3b/3c hair type. I have the feeling that something lighter might work a little bit better for me.
I do think that the Curl Enhancing Smoothie is good at defining in that the added moisture and slight hold it provides helps keep curls together so that they don't dry up, disperse, then frizz out quite as bad as they might if left to their own devices. The hold that this offers is exceptionally soft and not enough for me to forgo using gel over it if I'm letting my hair dry in it's natural state. However, it's got just enough hold for when I allow my hair to dry in big braids for softer waves. That said, to me, this is more of a moisturizer than a styler. The one time I attempted to use it as a styler, I had to use a lot of product and the result left my hair looking like stringy spaghetti noodles.Yuck. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend this to someone with thinner hair. It seems like it'd be way too heavy.
As far as moisturization is concerned, I think that Curl Enhancing Smoothie does a pretty good job helping me retain moisture in conjunction with other products though I can't say that this is ultra moisturizing on it's own. This functions on my hair as sort of a "sealer" over my leave-in to keep my hair softer and moisturized longer. I definitely don't think that this product would work very well on my hair without a leave-in conditioner underneath it. It's just not moisturizing enough by it's self. Like others have mentioned, this certainly seems to work much better when it's applied to wet hair also. Otherwise, it can leave kind of a sticky film.
When I initially bought the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Shea Moisture products were only available 'on the ground' at Walgreen's and Target. Thankfully the demand for products geared towards curly hair has has since brought Shea Moisture and other brands to more mass retailers for curly-haired product junkies everywhere! Yay! I really love that this is now relatively easy to get a hold of AND the price is more reasonable when you consider the price point of other similar brands.
Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a pretty good product, but I don't think it's the best for my hair type. Instead, I think I'd love to try their out Curl & Style Milk next!