Josie Maran Cosmetics Smoke

on 7/31/2011 1:23:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I loved Josie Maran as a model, though curiously she never sold any Maybelline to me. When I go budget, I like CoverGirl. Anyway, I was a little weary of the idea of a model-turned-makeup creator. Heidi Klum for Victoria's Secret was pretty hammy, I thought. Well, Josie's products not only turned out better than Heidi's, but they are actually preferrable to certain exclusive lines developed by celebrity makeup artists. For starters, the quality matches the price. The eyeshadows are designed to be applied using finger tips, and the color does not lose its intensity or nuance when applied this way. In terms of color selection, she has an impressive range of brown that is infused with tasteful and interesting variations. "Smoke" is described as "dark ash brown shimmer", but I also see charcoal and olive green in it. It's a wonderful re-think of a wearable basic.
My only complaint is with the packaging--rose gold is beautiful, but the casing is unexpectedly fragile. The e/s and the blush I bought both broke within the first three months of use.