April 17, 2014 | 1379 users online

Treatments - Algenist - Concentrated Reconstructing Serum

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2014 10:25:00 PM More reviews by lilannaf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a oil-free serum formulated to minimize wrinkles, boost radiance, and rebuild skin firmness in 10 days. The story about this ingredient is suppose to be a special type of algae. The only information about this ingredient that I could find being effective for skin comes from Algenist. There is no independent, published research supporting the anti-aging claims being made . I first saw this product on a shopping show . I was really intrigued. I am a product fanatic so instead of or ordering it (because I did not want to wait for it to be shipped) I went to my local sephoras and bought it the next day. It is in a glass bottle and has a dropper applicator. It is light weight and quickly dissolves into your skin. It has a light earthy smell that disappears after a few seconds. They claim this advanced serum, is supposed to rebuild firmness and enhance the skin. I used it for 6 weeks every night and day. I did feel it gave me a softer effect but not worth the price.

Note: This serum is dispensed via a dropper applicator. Although not the ideal method to dispense this serum if it would work then I will deal with the dropper. I understand the packaging is necessary due to formulary requirements.

Pros:
Contains some proven antioxidants and other anti-aging ingredients.
It did moisturize my skin and left it feeling soft
Very light texture
Cons:
Expensive,
The dropper is very annoying could not use all of the serum due to packaging

All in all I did notice some difference but not enough to make not any real difference to my skin even though I used it for 6 weeks. I will not be repurchasing it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 8:31:00 PM More reviews by miele2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Having just purchased a second bottle - a rarity in my fickle medicine cabinet - I figured it was worth a review. I can see why some would be unhappy with this product. It offers little to no moisture. An odd thing to be missing from an ant-aging product. However, for those of us still dealing with the oily, reactive skin of a teenager, (yet are many years removed from being an actual one,) this is a great product which plumps everything up without grease or heaviness. While not inexpensive, it is vastly cheaper than what I had been using before. Better yet, it actually works and I think I've been looking fresher. Isn't that worth every penny?

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2013 8:47:00 PM More reviews by gateley

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Have been using this for 10 weeks, twice a day, and you know how their site claims "78% report Deep wrinkles appear minimized in 4 weeks"? Well, I'm one of the 22%. Ditto, I'm not one of the winners for those who felt density was restored, radiance was boosted, or skin felt noticeably tightened and lifted. I saw absolutely no change whatsoever. But, you have to give it a try because as we see by reviews on every product, some people love the results, others don't see any. I'll keep looking.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 5:59:00 PM More reviews by angellove1705

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got a 10 day sample of this from a Facebook promotion. I was really excited to try this. I have acne and I keep hearing how things like this can really help. I like that the samples are very full and was able to get 2 nights use out of each packet. First impressions are this smells a little icky and can burn a little depending on how much I am breaking out, but quickly stopped. I felt like this did leave my skin a little smoother which I was happy about. I did not notice enough improvement though that would help justify the cause. I think if the price point was a little lower that I could afford to use this liberally I would purchase it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 8:19:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

This serum made my skin feel so dry, that's what I didn't like about it. It has a nice lightweight non-sticky texture, and it sank into my skin right away. But the longer I had it on, the drier my skin got. And I don't have dry skin! Quite the opposite. I suppose my face looked a little bit smoother and brighter from use of this product, but the dry and tight complexion wasn't worth it for me. Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Holly987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for a couple of weeks now, along with the eye balm and the moisturiser, and I really like it. I've seen a noticeable improvement in my skin. Fine lines around my eyes seem to be decreasing, and my skin just looks better - healthier and clearer and with a glow. I need less make-up, and what I do put on seems to stay put and need less touching up. In the last few days, my skin has looked good enough to go without any make-up, except concealer for my under eye circles.

I cannot comment on the serum separately from the moisturiser and eye balm, as I've been using them all together. I purchased them from QVC as a starter kit to try them out after reading the reviews here. But after the first use I knew I really liked them just based on the finish they gave, and the ease of applying make-up straight over them.

As other reviewers have said, the serum is quite creamy. I apply one and a half pumps each morning and evening over my face and neck, including around my eyes. My skin is quite dry and dehydrated, and so I do use eye cream and face cream over the top, but I imagine a lot of people wouldn't need to at night before going to bed.

I'm impressed that I can see a difference already after only two weeks, so I'm going to continue using just these products in isolation from the rest of my skin care and see what else improves.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/10/2013 12:54:00 AM More reviews by jenniferjones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Used this on and off for a few years, and truthfully I never saw a difference at all and I used this faithfully, after clairsonic, twice a day every day. I did not have any sensitivity or breakouts (that I know of) with use, and when they introduced the pump it was great, but for $95 a bottle you expect to see something. Now I'm using a different line and I can see the difference, will not repurchase. And now with the change in skin care I'm not breaking out anywhere near what I used to but I'm not sure I can blame Algenist.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/26/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by SmellsLikeChanel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I've tried this serum for the first time tonight after cleansing with my Clarisonic, and I went to lay down, and rubbed my chin (had an itch) and a big ball of GOD KNOWS WHAT rolled off my skin.... was it my skin rolling off? It felt and looked like it! It was flesh colored?! I kept rubbing my hands across parts of my face and rolling off loads of clumps of whatever!! Has anyone had this problem, or does anyone know why it would cause this?? I went in and washed my face again-- washed it off, and now I'm doing a deep cleansing mask, I'm freaked out! Maybe I'll write to the manufacturer :/

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

A big meh for me. I take pretty good care of my skin already and it is in pretty good shape, so maybe that is why I didn't see much of anything from this serum. I'm already using a brightening serum and a Vitamin C serum in the morning and a prescription retinol every other night. I wanted something for when I get out of the shower after the gym to plump my skin and tighten slightly before applying moisturizer, SS and makeup and since this has peptides and something that is supposed to be a better humectant than hyaluronic acid, I thought this would be a good serum to try. I've gone through about 3/4 of a bottle of this stuff and I honestly don't think it would make much difference if I skipped it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 7:00:00 AM More reviews by rawrcelle

I have been using this product for about 8 months now and I am on my second bottle. I wanted to take better care of my skin and decided on the Algenist line. I am 22 with combination skin. i am obsessive about my skin care regimen and tried different serums to see which had the best results. During the first month of using this product my skin was left glowing. Now I do not even need to use moisturizer I just use a but of my Dr Jart BB cream and I am good to go. I used to have occasional cystic acne on my chin but after using this product with my Neutrogena toner the cystic acne is very rare. Many people compliment me on my skin and I am very happy with this product. This product did not cause me to break out like the other reviewer did. I suggest you buy this from sephora try it out and if you don't like or it did not do anything for you just return it. I love the Algenist serum it is my HG product and currently I am testing their night cream which I am also beginning to love.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No