July 31, 2014 | 1019 users online

Treatments (Face) - Ocean Potion - clear zinc oxide spf45

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2010 5:27:00 PM More reviews by apollo84

Total crap! I'd heard great things about the brand through a respected dermatologist, so I thought I'd give it a try. I live in south Florida so for me, sunscreen has to go the extra mile every time. I slathered this product on before taking a walk, and when I got back home my skin was bright red..... and I wasn't sweating! I agree with the other reviews in that they should specify the amounts of zinc oxide and oxybenzone. It's really cheap, but for the quality simply not worth it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 2:45:00 AM More reviews by goofyhusky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

1. It burned my face, I turned instantly red.
2. It's not the "very water resistant" as it claims, only took one dab with wet tissue to take it off.
3. Shady business not showing % on active ingrediants.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2008 10:25:00 PM More reviews by iceomatic

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best sunscreen for my skin! I have dry, sensitive, fair skin. I use AHA and BHA and have had IPL treatments. This is the ONLY sunscreen I've found that doesn't irritate my skin!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2008 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Cinnamon1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really, really wanted to like this product. It's fragrance free, has a high SPF, it's water resistant, non irritating, not thick and greasy, and leaves your skin comfortable. All of that is the makings of an HG product.

But what's going on with the company not specifying the percentages of actives??? I mean, who lists the minerals and chemicals in a sunscreen and doesn't tell you how much there is of each one?? It seems shady. The only active in here that provides good UVA protection is the zinc oxide, but I'm guessing that the percentage of ZO is pretty low since the cream blends right into your skin almost instantly. Products with an adequate amount of zinc or titanium require a lot more rubbing and blending. So this might be SPF 45, but my guess is that it covers mainly UVB and has a low PPD. So I'm not fnishing the jar or buying it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2007 10:07:00 AM More reviews by Query

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

FINALLY I have found a sunscreen that doesn't irritate my skin, clog my pores, smell, turn me white, make me greasy, or dry me out. This is a bare-bones product, just my style. This doesn't try to be a skin treatment with sunscreen - those have either been too protectant (smothering my skin) or too moisturizing (too rich / greasy), but it does sooth, smooth, moisturize, and protect just enough to be comfortable.

In response to the concern about the zinc oxide content: in addition to the zinc oxide, this also has octocrylene (protects against both UVA and UVB) and oxybenzone (protects against UVA), and two other UVB sunscreens. I do think this product provides very good broad spectrum protection.

The only thing I don't like about this is the tub, but heck, before I found this I was seriously wondering if I should just try to skip sunscreen altogether because my face was red and uncomfortable all the time, and had been for years.

Since I recently got a case of photoreactive sun poisoning from a regular body sunblock, I've started using this on arms and legs too with no problem. I think the photoreaction was from the waterproofing base, it wasn't the sunscreen agents - that's why I like the face potion - the base lotion is neutral and mild. An added bonus is that I no longer leave greasy arm and leg marks on my patio furniture (I was also concerned about the chemicals damaging my new cushions).

It's only $2 an ounce, comparable to higher-end sunscreens. I wish it came in a 4 or 6 ounce tube with a flip top cap and a small hole to dispense (hint hint).

This product is also reviewed on MUA under "sunscreens."

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2006 6:11:00 PM More reviews by klyde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is good stuff; dries matte, clear, and freegrance-free. Thanks for all the good reviews and concerns about UVA protection. If you want more zinc oxide, Pacific Sun's Surf Ski Cote w/Zinc Oxide SPF 45+ has 6.86% instead of 1% in this Ocean Potion's face lotion. Pacific Sun is Long's brand and also dries clear but is slightly greasier. I prefer zinc oxide to avobenzone and mexoryl just because my eyes are so sensitive to other sunscreens (even though I don't put them near my eyes). For Ocean Potion fans like me, I just spoke with a 28-year dermatologist who said the news media's hype on the dangers of UVA are mostly unfounded and that the best thing you can do is find ANY sunscreen you like cosmetically and use it EVERY day. Yeay, I was surprised too, and I think I'm going to believe him and use this religiously because it's the only one I won't try to avoid using everyday. And then I'll use heavier hitters when I am getting more sun exposure than usual. P.S. I gave the packaging 4/5 because of the dumb spacer they put in the bottom to make you think you're getting more. Wouldn't we rather carry around something smaller anyway?

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2006 3:23:00 AM More reviews by elapkin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just to be clear - this is the product I've been using. I feel like some of us may be talking about different things.

I still contend that it's good stuff, and I burn really easily. I've never burned with this on. And it keeps my sun-triggered rosacea totally in check. Love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2006 12:02:00 AM More reviews by Catzel

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am not favorably impressed by this sunscreen and will not wear it. It contains only 1% zinc oxide, far too low to provide adequate UVA protection. This sunscreen may contain enough protection to prevent obvious burning from UVB rays for some people, if it doesn't provide adequate UVA protection, why use it?

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2005 1:05:00 AM More reviews by elapkin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I buy this in bulk. I discovered it on my honeymoon in Hawaii (it was advertised as a "Local Surfer's Favorite") and it's been a miracle for me. I have very sensitive, rosacea-prone skin - and I haven't gotten a sunburn or sun-triggered rosacea flare since I started using it. It has no scent (good for a face product) and provides great everyday protection. I showed my dermatologist the product - and she agreed that it's great for people w- sensitive skin. There are few, if any, irritating ingredients.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2004 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Seshiri

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It's an OK product for me.Sale price $1.99 in Alberson's. Clear and No Halloween look on your face.And water resisten is another plus. Not bad.