July 28, 2014 | 1624 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Pur Couture No.24 Blond Ingenu

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well... I'm not gonna lie. I only bought this because Lana Del Rey mentioned it as her "lipstick of choice" at London fashion week. And I just went all "zomg!" and bought it on a whim. And first of all: this is expensive. It goes for about 40 dollars at the counters, maybe a bit less online. I personally believe that 50% of the price is due to the packaging. With YSL being a high end luxury brand really reflects on the packaging - it's heavy weight, sleek and shiny with a simple, yet classy design. It's the kind of lipstick you can actually leave on your bathroom counter as a decor. It gives off this vintage Mad Men feeling, it's the kind of lipstick you'll expect Christina Hendriks as Joan Harris to put on her pout on TV. So what's not to love?

But back to the important stuff - the content. The lipstick itself comes in this pinkish, nudish, slightly peachy color. It's neutral, it's innocent, it doesn't want to offend anyone at all. But sadly, it can offend people a great deal - love/hate really depends on the texture of your lips and the over all color. I have really pigmented lips, and find that my true color shines trough ever so slightly, creating a natural looking shade. But if you have very light lips then this can give you a dead look. Well, if I have to wear blush with this combined with my naturally red lips, then you definitely have to wear blush if you have unpigmented lips. It's also not matte, like you may think when you look at the color without applying it. It's not shimmery or glittery, but it has this interesting sheen that can either be love or hate. Because if you have flaky or uneven lips, then this may not be the lipstick for you. It goes on uneven and looks dry and chalky when I have dry lips, but thankfully it goes on beautifully when my lips have their normal texture. The lipstick is soft, but does not slide off your lips like other creamy lip products tend to do. It's also not too matte, but not too shiny either, and it's got great staying power and great pigmentation. I was impressed by how much it managed to cover up my pigmented lips. The nude and slightly light reflecting color definitely gives my lips a fuller impression. The only downside is the taste (think of the days when you used to chew on your colorful pencils in kindergarten or when you put on an outdated lipstick that has been laying around for ten years - yeah... you get used to it thought, and it's not like you're meant to eat the stuff). I'm not gonna buy it again simply because I don't use lipstick that much and because I have to use blush with this, but it's definitely a pretty and understated color. I also wore this on my job interview and got the job, so I kind of think of it as a lucky charm, as silly as it may sound.

I won't get Lana's lips without the help of Mr. plastic surgeon, but by using this, Too Faced's lip plumper an a Chanel lip liner, I'm halfway there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by amstoica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm surprised there are not more reviews for this. Let me preface this by saying I had decided about 3 years ago that I did not like YSL lipsticks. However, when I saw a swatch of No. 24 Blond Ingenu, I decided to give it another go. I much prefer the Rouge Pur Couture over the Rouge Volupte as I find them less greasy and longer lasting. And Blond Ingenu No. 24 is hands down my favorite lipstick.

Color/Finish:
For reference, I am a MAC NW25, light/med skin tone with cool to neutral undertones. This shade shows up as a salmon toned nude on me which is a peachy/pink. I hesitate to call it a frost finish but it is by no means matte. Rather, it has an iridescence to it that makes it so beautiful and unique. For lack of a better way to put it, it is kind of like a highlighter for the lips, if that makes any sense! Even if you don't particularly care for it on its own, its gorgeous when dabbed over another nude or used in the center of the lip.

Shade Comparison/Lasting Power/Smell:

If you like MAC Pure Zen lipstick, this shade is somewhat similar only with a completely different finish. This is not a concealer nude shade like MAC Myth or Fleshpot, as it does have more of a peachy tone like Pure Zen. This is also a fragrant lipstick but not enough to turn me off, just a bit of a sweet fragrance that is also referred to as the "expensive" smell.

I love it paired with either Chanel Natural lip liner or Boots No. 7 #20 Nude. Both of these shades are more of a brown-toned nude and really give the lips more dimension when worn with this lipstick. I would say a lip liner is a must with this lipstick just because the texture of the Rouge Pur Couture is rather thin and lasts much longer and has more depth when paired with a liner.

Beautiful packaging as always with YSL, but it does gather finger prints quite easily. Also, rather expensive and retails for $34USD.

Overall, this is a must have HG for me and I will repurchase again!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2012 12:31:00 PM More reviews by Uncle_Joey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i bought this based on some positive feedback online. i'm NC15/20, neutral skin, pigmented lips. this made my lips look bloodless and chalky. it was slightly frosty and extremely unflattering. i love other lip products by ysl, but this was awful in texture and color.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2011 9:49:00 PM More reviews by cocoblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A natural pink colour which is ideal for a nude lip that doesn't make you look dead. It has a creamy consistency but is best applied with a lip brush. It is neither glossy or matte, instead it is the perfect balance of the two which makes it a suitable choice for an understated daytime look. The gold packaging is classic yves saint laurent and looks pretty in anyones beauty counter. Like other ysl lipsticks its very expensive but would be worthwhile if you can find it cheap on the internet or at duty free shops. The only reason I would not repurchase is if I found a better alternative before it ran out.