September 1, 2014 | 1180 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Shalimar Parfum Initial

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by jhenley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My heart is breaking learning that this scent is being discontinued! It was a version of Shalimar I could wear comfortably. I love the vanilla and tonka bean in it, and it just exudes sexiness. I think if Guerlain had launched this as a scent seperate from Shalimar, it would have done well. It really isn't like classic Shalimar that much to be honest. It's so sad it will be discontinued soon :( Stock up..

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by beatricerex

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy wearing this when I want a cold-weather scent that's warm and comforting without screaming "vanilla!" A touch of sweetness and brightness but never straying into "baked goods," it's like a nice sweater in pale pink. One spray on your neck and you'll be smelling it all day, but it's definitely softer than Shalimar.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 5:22:00 AM More reviews by izumilove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I adore this. I know people keep comparing this to Shalimar, but please judge this perfume on its own terms. I respect the original, it is well made and carries a lot of history but it is a harder fragrance for younger women to wear. I don't think it is a bad thing that they made a younger and modern version, if it gets the younger generation to discover the original, surely it isn't a bad thing?

I'm not really good at describing notes and how fragrances change but I do detect patchouli, iris, vanilla, tonka and a little bit of bergamot and musk. When I first spray it on myself it smells almost smoky and earthy with a tiny bit of citrus and as the day goes on it becomes sweeter and the patchouli comes out a bit more. I like that the vanilla isn't overwhelming and doesn't smell like a cupcake. I have never smelled a fragrance quite like this before, I find it pretty unique.

It lasts about 8 hours on me, which I find really good. I also find the sillage to be pretty good, but I don't like screaming fragrances that can potentially give others around you a headache. I just really love this and I think it may become my signature! Everyone who has smelled it on me says that it is 'very me'. Never heard that before!

I think the bottle looks gorgeous and I liked that the 100ml size of this is actually a really reasonable price compared to many fragrances on the market today. I really love this! Of course, perfume is such a personal thing and it reacts with your skin chemistry so there are bound to be people who hate it. I think even if you don't like it, it isn't fair to call it a disgrace to Guerlain. Times change and while I love sniffing many of the older Guerlain fragrances from the bottle, I know it would smell ridiculous on me. The people like me need some Guerlain to wear too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2013 12:48:00 PM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

Some of the most beloved fragrances in my collection began with triggering mild disdain. I love it when a fragrance gets a grip on me and changes my mind. The first time I tried this odd beauty I detected the medicinal, powdery note you get from the inside of First Aid cupboards. A note that can't fail to be nostalgic for anyone who has cut their knee, but not something a sensual young woman necessarily wants to douse herself with. It's the iris and bergamot that come together to produce this lightly gluey note, and it's still there now I'm on my second bottle.

The treatment of the iris and bergamot in this scent are indeed very modern. They are aloof, clean, solar smells, and cut through an icing sugar base with distinct style. What has changed for me is my perception of this mirage. Now, I find the illusion to be stirring, feminine and brave. I love it when a fragrance manages to be abstract in addition to sweet and long-lasting.

The treatment of Shalimar original in this scent is masterful. I've worn Shalimar in the eau de parfum, cologne and 'Light' versions, and you can see thread from those to Parfum Initial. Surprisingly, Parfum Initial isn't less than these, but other. I love it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/6/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by VeroniqueDubois

Nope. Smells like baby powder mixed with memories of no-nonsense church services in the 1970s... albeit the nicely-dressed middle-aged ladies back in the 1970s in the surrounding pews. Kind of chokes me and puts me on edge instead of putting me in a happy place. Funny how fragrance is so associated with mood and memory.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

Pretty little Shalimar flanker . I must say i have mistaken this for Coco Mademoiselle EDP numerous times when my friends have asked me to guess what they are wearing. Me ? I'm sticking to the old Guerlain classics.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2013 11:58:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

So disappointing for my favorite old friend, my Shalimar. Initial comes on strongly, visits for a bit, chatters voraciously as usual with her sweet notes, then exits almost as quickly as she entered the room. She's pretty, she's sweet to be around, but you cannot depend on her at all. She's just too young and innocent, batting her eyes flirtatiously, sweeping her skirts, then running away leaving a trail so faint you hardly remember she's been there.
She is nothing like her older sister. She's pink after all. But then again, no one could ever compare to the original. And no one should ever try to compare, but unfortunately, because of the name, the comparison constantly occurs.
Shalimar Initial to Shalimar Eau de Parfum gives me these analogies: silver jewelry to gold; ponies to thoroughbreds; ponytails to chignons; fields to the moors; pantyhose to garter belts and stockings; pink to a deep burgandy; young lady to a woman. It's the inexperienced younger sister of Shalimar that hasn't yet garnered the worldly knowledge needed to attract the sensual, deeper, basal desires of a Significant Other. She's just too wistful and fleeting.
Initial is beautiful as others have said. I enjoy the delightful fragrance, slightly reminiscent of the original in a more fruitful way to me. But this one lasts no more than an hour on my skin. Try as I might, I cannot get the musk or patchouli or the vanilla from this to settle for me, it simply disappears. I wish it would linger longer. I really do love the fragrance.
Definitely try it a few times at a counter to see how it blends with your own body chemistry.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2013 10:27:00 PM More reviews by bluezinnia

Pleasant enough scent, but it essentially disappeared in less than an hour. Not worth it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 9:21:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain is not a disappointing “very berry cupcake”. Basically, take Shalimar EDC, add a dash of Angel, hit yourself in the head, and there you have it. The composition opens with citrus, vanilla, iris, and spicy leather, and at this stage, the genetics of Grande Dame dominate the composition. As the fragrance develops on the skin, I pick up liquorice loud and clear. Basically, a huge liquorice root is chasing me around the room, trash talking and spewing obscenities. An hour later, the liquorice thug sulks in a corner and suddenly crazy Auntie Angel shows up with caramel and funky patchouli. Crazy Auntie and I are fabulous friends—we have caused quite a bit of trouble together—and we spend the next four hours trying on clothes and deciding if I look better in the vintage floral dress or the one made out of rubber (it snaps).

4/5 Just try it!

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2012 2:18:00 PM More reviews by babaleah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Okay, this is for both Parfum Initial and PI L'Eau. I tested PI L'eau on my hand and PI on my forearm, so I could distinguish them, but also detect the combination. Here's my assessment: You will be driving along and put your arm up to your nose, and you will scream to nobody in particular "holy, do I smell gorgeous!!" PI is definitely related to Shalimar but has none of the smoke. The first blast is fruity, girly meh, but the drydown after an hour is guerlinade beauty with a tiny bit of good musk, fruit and floral. It's a lighter version of the Shalimar drydown but no skank here. (Shalimar can turn to skank on me.) The PI L'Eau starts out an unidentifiable green. I know other reviewers have said it's like AA Pamplelune, but I didn't detect that in the top. It's light and green, and it too is meh to begin with. And here too the drydown is the best. it's delicate with a really good musk and a hint of the AA Pamp drydown.
And the bonus here is that not only is each scent fine in its own right, but they also complement each other. So, unable to decide, I purchased both (gotta love the 20X points and redemptions at Shoppers...), and yes, I did have to say out loud how good I smelled on the way home. Both scents have merit, neither as profound as older sister Shalimar..