December 21, 2014 | 1823 users online

Fragrances - Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Perfumes - Route du Vetiver

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2010 5:43:00 PM More reviews by lemonlye

Reading the list of notes in it, I see why I liked the top notes. I tend to go for blackcurrant, which is apparently in it. But the heart had, for my weird nose, a smell of sparkler or firecracker smoke, of all things. A bit too odd! That leather-ish drydown was nice, though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2009 11:17:00 PM More reviews by karelin7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Picture the blade of a shovel that's just come out of the earth. Reach over and grab a fistful of the fresh damp earth and press your nose to it. Assume that you have a healthy bundle of vetiver roots in the mix. A master perfumer takes what you smell and adds, perhaps, a dose of citrus, but in a way that conceals the citrus; its identity is hidden and it is used to add a balancing hint of sweetness. The artistry that is in this fragrance is enormous. The illusion is of vetiver roots snatched from the earth, with the subterranean dankness and rawness intact. Of course, this is a carefully considered effect that gives the impression of spontaneity. If you love the smell of vetiver you will love this frag. If you prefer vetiver processed and sweetened by citrus, as in Guerlain's wonderful Vetiver, or if you like Creed's versions, where the vetiver is there in name only, this will likely smell rank. There are rumors that this frag will no longer be distributed in the US, and rumors that the company is folding. So if you're inclined to try it, or you know it and love it, it would be worth considering stocking up or looking for substitutes.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2009 3:25:00 PM More reviews by swlabr9099

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I find it funny when people lash out against a fragrance. I don't let those types get to me, they are just hyperbolic windbags if you ask me. RdV is not for everyone, as is quite accurate - though, is ANY fragrance for everyone? I love RdV. i grabbed a 100ml, then i was lucky enough the recently purchase one of the last available bottles of 90ml online. I think most people don't even know what true vetiver oil smells like. I do. It smells like RdV. I have some from Eden Botanicals, from Surinam. I also have Ruh Khus (wildcrafted from Rajasthan desert) Vetiver from India. Ruh Khus is the most interesting vetiver i have found, due to it being extracted into copper degs and reacting with the metal to produce a unique smell as well as appearance, which is a greenish blue. This sums it up - if you don't like RdV, you don't like vetiver in its natural state. I have Encre Noir, Etro, Annick Goutal, and RdV is still the best. For those who wish to steer slear of RdV - please do! More for the rest of us!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2007 3:09:00 AM More reviews by themeglet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Am I the only one in love with this scent? On first, second, and third sniff, I am reminded of the muddy pond that I swam in as a child during hot southern summers; it's muddy pond water in a bottle. It sounds repulsive, I'm sure; yet, it's such a captivating, intoxicating scent... I loved that scent that stuck to my skin after taking the boat out in the pond, jumping in, and swimming around. It was somehow both clean and ancient, muddy and pristine. I've smelled so many vetivers, at this point, that I wouldn't recognize one if I met in in broad daylight...yet I love whatever is going on in this scent, and whatever its master-nose had in mind during the creation/composition. It takes an insanely genius nose to come up with a scent like this.

Oh-- this is NOT a scent for snuggling with the husband or boyfriend. If you're a femme who grew up in rural environs, it's worth every penny for the experience. If not, try it anyway; you might just convince yourself. If you're male, men and women alike will be won over by your utter "back-woodsy-ness." It's THAT rustic (and yes, dreamy...)

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2005 12:55:00 AM More reviews by ellizam

i'm sorry, but for me, this was AWFUL! i respect it, and what they were trying to do with it, but... ack! it's actually sickening to me. there's a very strong, charred vetiver. i like smoky, but something about this is beyond smoky and into charred. there's an herbal edge, rather like cilantro. and on my skin, it is terrible. i also wouldn't like a guy to smell like this. i'm sorry, i know this is a loved scent. but before you sink this much money into it, for heaven's sake, SAMPLE!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2005 7:59:00 PM More reviews by mysticaldeath

I tried several times but was ultimatly unable to smell the magic here. my hand smells EXACTLY like it and ive been tending to my orchids today; i keep them in a greenhouse and cycle them through a "soaking bath" in a large cauldron that i allow to grow fetid with decomposing plant detritus for the nitrogen fertilization effect. they love it. RdV smells like i used old vase water or
pondwater to put out a campfire that someone had thrown camp trash of either rubber or plastic into as well.
beauty grows from ugliness; this is just ugly

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2005 8:50:00 PM More reviews by Maller

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For gardeners who are suffering mid-winter withdrawal, MPG Route du Vetiver is the perfect antidote. This is essentially the scent of freshly turned dirt with some grass and leaves in it. As it dries down it becomes slightly sweeter and the blackcurrant note becomes evident, but this is still one of the earthiest vetivers I've ever come across. I think there's a private vetiver club with a secret handshake for people who can wear this scent.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2005 7:08:00 PM More reviews by King_of_England

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Very dry and dusty, like going up into your attic. Also earthy and musty, like going down into the cellar. And rooty - will suit you if you're a country farmer. Don't take any notice of the other stated notes of blackcurrant, etc, which are just there to confuse you. I struggled for a while to identify another characteristic element which seems to dominate the fragrance and I think I finally got it - Agar Wood Oil. Very rich, deep, almost peppery; it is no surprise to know that this ingredient comes from a fungus-infected tree. The final drydown of Route du Vetiver, however, becomes unpleasantly sweet and overall, I can't recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2005 9:55:00 AM More reviews by sharilstuff

I'm always at the difference that chemistry and personal taste makes with this scent. (as with all of them, but this one has extreme lovers and detractors) I personally love it on me. It does go on quite strong and pungently grassy, but it quickly dries down to a beautiful tart berry smell with wood notes and a very soft, moist grassiness in the backround.

This fragrance is what I wished that Falling In Love and Trish #9 were like for me...but those were too sugary, syrupy sweet. This achieves the same effect with berries balanced by something warmer and fuller, but it's got an earthy quality rather than a "I smeared myself with Smuckers" thing.

Not overly masculine to my nose at all...in fact, Guerlain's Vetiver while completely different from this one actually dries down much more manly to my nose.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2004 5:41:00 PM More reviews by ifthe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My apologies to all that enjoy this one, but this is the single worst fragrance I have ever encountered. It's so bad, I wouldn't dare send it out with any of my decants! Smells exactly like a wet, dirty ashtray. Completely Nauseating. continued >>