April 24, 2014 | 1852 users online

Pressed Powders - Nuance by Salma Hayek - Mineral Powder

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2012 4:12:00 PM More reviews by smileandactnice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I agree with all the negative comments about this product. Basically it sucks--don't waste your money!
To it's credit, it does have a very silky feel which enables it to blend into the skin perfectly--perhaps a little too perfectly because it covers absolutely *nothing*. Even when I have "good skin" days, I wouldn't dare wear this because it wouldn't do anything--I'd be better off just going barefaced.
The color, light or fair or whatever the lightest shade is, works perfectly for my extra-pale skin. Not too yellow, orange or pink. And again to it's credit, it doesn't oxidize and turn a funny color during the day.
I do love how incredibly nice the consistency is though. If it actually *did* something, this would be my HG. But as nice as it feels, it just doesn't offer any kind of coverage.
I used a kabuki brush and it glides on like a dream. Really makes my skin feel amazing, but again, that's it--no coverage at all. I've used a latex-free cosmetic round to smooth it on as well. It does blend away pores nicely and evens my skin texture, but again, absolutely zero coverage.
I really wanted to like this product. The plastic outer wrapper is cute as can be, although the inner compact the powder is in, is a cheap looking piece of junk. And really Salma...you couldn't have thrown in a brush or puff or *something*??? I realize most people throw those things away--I do too--but occasionally I like to keep them around for on-the-go touchups. Oh that's right--no mirror inside either. Salma, why so cheap???
Anyways, I tried and found this is just an all around over-priced sucky product. Save your money and get something else--anything else....
***2/24/12 Edit***
I wanted to do an update to my review for this powder.
I've been using it to set my makeup...I've been alternating between a cream-to-powder base, and a mineral makeup base...and have been dusting this over top to set things.
It works nicely to set my makeup and has all the benefits I talked about above.
I decided to try a different way of applying it as a base makeup. After priming my skin with a moisturizer mixed with luminizer, I used a *firm bristle* kabuki brush to apply the powder all over. Those big kabuki brushes are all too soft and don't take up enough powder to cover anything, so I broke out my travel-size kabuki. It's smaller with tighter, more compact bristles--I guess you'd all it firmer. But the tightly packed bristles pick up powder better. And I have to say that has made a world of difference in application.
Salma's powder goes on really smoothly and light. It now really does even my skintone, diminish pores, etc--all the stuff my mineral makeup does. The other nice thing is that even the fairest shade applies easily but does give me a tiny hint of color, instead of looking chalky or washed out like alot of foundations and powders do.
I really think application is the key with this product. A sponge doesn't apply it evenly, or too thick, where a brush like a firm kabuki applies it evenly in a nice, light layer.
I have to revise this review and give it an overall rating of 3.5 now.
So if you have it or are thinking of trying it, try applying it with a brush that has densely packed bristles--makes all the difference, and who knows, you might actually like it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2011 6:27:00 PM More reviews by mymelody87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I recently purchased (and subsequently returned) this "foundation" after hearing good things about Nuance. I bought the shade 220 Light, and I was surprised at how good of a match it was to my super pale cool-toned skin. Probably the best match of any drugstore makeup I've tried, which tend to run too yellow for my complexion.

Besides the excellent color-match, however, I have nothing positive to say about this product. It has no coverage. So it can't be used as foundation. But I doubt it would work as setting powder either, because it doesn't reduce shine at all, at least not on me. So I found it basically useless, especially for $15, and decided to take it back.

Something else worries me about using this: it made my face so itchy and irritated. I left a light layer of it on my face overnight and woke up and my skin was super irritated and red. Someone else has complained about this before me. So I have reason to believe it is something in the product that has this effect, and not just my own sensitivities. It's worth noting as well that I very rarely have skin sensitivities to any products I try. So this was truly odd.

Also, it didn't help in my decision to keep it or return it, that the container is ugly and cheap, and comes with no sponge, mirror, or applicator, yet is fairly large, so by the time I fit it into my purse makeup bag along with the brush that I would need to use it I'd be basically out of room for anything else.

I don't recommend you bother trying this. It's just a major fail all around, and it's far too expensive for what it is. Save your money and get Physician's Formula or something.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2011 8:27:00 PM More reviews by TheGoodSwan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Another disappointing item from the Nuance line... This is supposed to be a 'mineral foundation' hence the name *clears throat*. It, like the tinted moisturizer, covers NOTHING. I tried applying with a brush...and with a sponge - it made no difference. This doesn't seem to stick to my skin. It just disappeared. I will use it up...as a blot powder, as I hate to be wasteful. Oh...and I bought the light/medium shade. It works just fine for my skin. For reference I wear Medium Beige in Bare Minerals, Nude in Laura Mercier TM, Sand and, sometimes, Beige in Bobbi Brown.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2011 11:04:00 PM More reviews by prcdnvl28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

The Nuance Salma Hayek Flawless Coverage Mineral Foundation is HG for me. However, I do not find it works well alone as a foundation replacement (not enough coverage). This is a fantastic, lightweight, finely milled powder that applies brilliantly with my ELF Studio brush as a setting powder over my TM (or foundation) and cream blush for daily use. I wear the Medium/Deep and LOVE it. I do not need to touch it up at all during the day, though I do blot at least once during the day.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2011 10:07:00 PM More reviews by Pitbullheart71

I agree with the previous reviews. As a mineral foundation, FAIL. It's sheer and fades quickly. I use it as a setting powder, where it's okay, but not great. You can get better in the drugstore lines for the price. It is nicely milled, and doesn't look cakey or settle into lines, but there is no shine control. The colors are nice, nothing too pink or orange, but that's about the best thing I can say about it. Dream Matte and Age Rewind are better, IMO. Packaging is awkward.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2011 3:36:00 PM More reviews by Livn2large

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My reaction to using this mineral powder in "Light" is, "Why bother?" It didn't cover anything. It also burned and itched my face. Perhaps it is meant to be worn as regular face powder: it's objective only to prevent regular foundation from transferring. I find that hard to believe because Nuance also has a finishing powder. However, there are far superior powders in the drugstore at a far better price point. (Dream Matte, for one).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by rosarita

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is expensive for a drugstore product, which is especially irritating because it seems to be of such poor quality. It doesn't even include a sponge, for starters, and the powder felt rough on my face. After I applied it, my face immediately started to itch. The color was odd, and the compact is cheap and flimsy. I returned it to CVS the next day.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2011 11:28:00 AM More reviews by 777designz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

Let me start off and say the Light 220 shade is great for us really pale ladies who have a hard time finding powder that is light enough for us without looking white. I was really shocked how well this matched my skin; other than translucent powders I've never had a powder truely blend in with my skin so well. Part of it too was that it didn't leave that obvious powdery texture on my skin, which is amazing. Sadly this is where my praise ends for this product.

It is labeled "Mineral Foundation" but it has less coverage than most face powders. I really expected it to be more pigmented. So as a foundation it is a failure. I have not tried it as a powder to set my foundation, but I think it would work best for that. I think $14 is way too pricey for a drugstore powder. Because of the lovely texture that might work well as a powder I give it a 2. Otherwise it is a 1.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2011 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Lola_Bear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to disagree with the negative reviews. This was a great powder for me. For reference, I am NW20 - Stila 20 Watts - Chanel B20 - normal-to-dry skin, with little need for much coverage, except to set my tinted moisturizer and even out everything. This worked perfectly for that purpose. The color stayed true all day, it is a nice consistency in that it does not fly everywhere when you put it on your brush, unlike some of the other mineral powders. The only bad thing I can say is that I really dislike the packaging. It looks cheap and the clasp at the opening is weird.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2011 10:32:00 AM More reviews by dbmiller

Eh, this is ok. Not enough coverage, even with preconcealing. Turned kinda strange looking by the end of the day. I dunno, it's just ok.