July 29, 2014 | 1960 users online

Other - Tom's of Maine - Fennel Natural Toothpaste

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2013 11:50:00 AM More reviews by jericalee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I understand this toothpaste isn't for everyone, but I really like it, have been using it for about 6 months, and my teeth are in great shape.

I have an extremely sensitive mouth area. Most commercial toothpastes (I've tried Crest 3d White and ProHealth before this one) make my lips and gums FREAK OUT. They burn, bleed, peel etc. I've also been avoiding anything with baking soda for a long time because of terrible reactions, ruling out a lot of natural toothpastes. Basically, any irritant from mint to cinnamon to baking soda is no bueno for me... On top of it all, I've suffered from cold sores my whole life and irritating the area can definitely trigger them.

This tastes like licorice (not everyone's cup of tea). That combined with the propolis and myrhh leaves my mouth feeling very clean, calm, and fresh. My teeth also seem bright and white but I've never had much issue with that. It is also worth noting that i floss and rinse with listerine/some other mouth wash every time I brush. I've been to the dentist for routine cleanings twice since using this product, and both times no cavities and the dentist has remarked on the good state of my mouth.

If you have a freak-of-nature sensitive mouth like I do this product could really save you some grief. If you're not into licorice, there are other flavors of the propolis and myrrh toothpaste that probably work just as well. However, I accidentally bought the propolis & myrrh cinnamon flavor once, though, and OF COURSE it freaked out my mouth. If you're sensitive like me, the fennel's the safest bet.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by waaat420

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just recently purchased your Toms's of Maine Fennel Natural Toothpaste and it made me feel LIKE A PIECE OF SHIT!!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yuck. I was looking for a more 'natural' alternative to traditional, chemical laden toothpaste, without shelling out 20 bucks [after shipping] for Herbal Choice Mari, or trying to make my own and always feeling like it would be inadequate. I randomly spotted this on the top shelf, where no one would ever see, of Shoppers Drug Mart, and snapped it up, as it was 5 bucks [twice the price of traditional toothpaste, might I add] and didn't have anything suspicious other than SLS in the ingredients, and was FENNEL flavored! I LOVEDDDDD the fennel flavor of HCM toothpaste, which tastes exactly like fennel.

This stuff tastes like licorice with a hint of fennel in the background. Gross. I despise licorice. Also, it might be fluoride-free, but the amount of SLS in this is MIND BOGGLING. Seriously, I don't know what the heck they were thinking. I learned my lesson after the first time of applying a regular sized dollop. I graduated to a pea-sized amount. Now I use half of that, and I still have trouble. It is quite a 'liquidy' toothpaste, and foams up SOOOOOO MUUUUCHHH in the mouth. This might be a good thing for some of you, but for me it is disgusting as it fills up my mouth and makes me feel as though I am not actually cleaning anything, only foaming up and filling up my body with SLS [the foaming agent].

Of course, if I'm using half a pea sized amount in order to cut down on that foaming, it still foams way too much but I feel as though I am getting NO cleaning for my teeth/mouth out of it. It's a lose-lose situation.

Keep in mind that any company can use any name and make any claim without having to back it up. So Tom's of Maine can call itself 'natural' all it wants - after all, everything is naturally derived at SOOMMMEEE point, right? But it doesn't necessarily have to be. And while it seems, on the surface, better than most other toothpastes, I would NOT classify this as 'all natural' or even 'natural enough.'

Their toothpastes have, essentially, two options: SLS-free or fluoride-free. Again, lose-lose. Not to mention, after brushing I find I have a considerable amount of plaque left between my teeth. What the heck? I am not used to seeing that. The surface of my teeth are quite smooth, however. So flossing is more necessary than ever, in this case. Not worth a buy, but worth a try for some of you I suppose.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2012 8:09:00 AM More reviews by mirandajulian

Okay so I am not going to give this product an overall bad rating for my very own mistake but this is licorice toothpaste. It really was my own mistake but I feel Tom's could do a better job and just increase the font so FENNEL is quickly visible especially if you are running to get some staples like I was and not really paying attention. This is my fault though - I should have been more careful.
Overall I love Tom's toothpastes it was just very surprising to get a licorice tasting one when you were expecting peppermint.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2011 10:13:00 AM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this toothpaste. The scent of fennel and myrrh is lovely. Packaging is basic, with the toothpaste tube often bursting and the paste leaking out.

Price has also increased a lot, over the years and the scent of fennel/propolis/myrrh has reduced over the years, in the newer product :-(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2010 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Schadenfrau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like most of you, I absolutely love Tom's of Maine Fennel toothpaste and have been using this pretty much exclusively for the past 15 years. I'm not a fan of mint flavors, and have had problems with harsh toothpastes leaving my mouth dry and raw. This toothpaste is heaven-sent for anyone with a sensitive mouth.

It's available for $4.99 at Whole Foods and can occasionally be found for about the same price at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. My only complaints are that this product can sometimes be difficult to find, and when you get to the end of the tube, the packaging can crack. Other than that, total holy grail.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 4:16:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use to chew fennel seeds as a kid so this was nostalgic for me. It leaves my mouth feeling clean as others have noted and doesn't inflame my gums. Its natural and can be found at Wholefoods or Target. I switch between different toothpastes, but I always manage to keep a tube of this in my bathroom. If you like the taste of black licorice, then you will like this. Freshens breath too which is nice without having to resort to mint or peppermint.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2009 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Fairdose

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this toothpaste, after a lifetime of using Crest and Colgate, I just got tired of the same old peppermint, mint, or cinnamon flavours which floridated toothpastes use.
On a whim, I decided to try out Tom's of Maine, fennel was different, so I thought "Why not?"
Was I ever glad I did! This stuff WORKS - I haven't had a cavity in over ten years, as long as you brush regularly and floss, you'll be fine, and don't let crafty ad campaigns get to you - FLUORIDE is not good for you!
I love the fact that it's totally natural, doesn't cost that much more than other brands, has a unique taste, and makes my mouth and teeth feel so clean!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2008 5:09:00 PM More reviews by hedgehog2484

The fennel is different and I really love it. I like fennel and other licorice-types of flavors/smells. This left my mouth feeling very clean, especially as it wasn't as sweetened up as many mainstream toothpastes. I like that this product uses natural ingredients. I just wish this was easier to find in my area. I'm not sure if I like the metal tube as I remember it getting a small hole in it, but it wasn't a big deal. I plan on buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2008 11:17:00 PM More reviews by silkyskin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

LOVE this! I have been avoiding fluoride for a few years now, and am thankful that this is fluoride free. Black licorice is one of my favorite flavors, and fennel tastes just like black licorice (to me, at least). So I was in heaven when I discovered this! Not only does it taste fantastic, but my teeth felt so nice and clean! I was surprised that it could taste that good, and leave my mouth feeling clean, not like I just got done eating candy. I don't have the whitening one, but plan to try it next. I noticed they also have come out with a SLS-free version, but it does contain fluoride, so that presents a win-lose situation for me.