New York Color Sky Rise Lengthening Mascara

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

on 3/22/2015 3:31:00 AM

Got this, together with city curl, in my search of a replacement for the discontinued Shu Uermura Basic, which gives the minimal look and used for 10 years plus.

This has more oomph than Shu, thin brush, clean define look, a bit lengthening ( thus not what I want ). Wetter than city curl and less Oomph than that. No flakes, lashes stay soft. Won't clump the lash together ( spider legs) even with 3-4 coats. Very similar to maybelline define a lash (waterproof), but wetter.

In the scale of oomph, from minimalist to dramatics, for the mascara I have tried so far: shu basic ( non waterproof ), maybelline lash discovery mini brush waterproof, NYC sky rise, maybelline define a lash ( waterproof ), NYC city curl, maybelline vol express colossal ( waterproof ), maybelline vol express falsie dramatic black.

Hope the above gives an idea of where this stands.

For less than 2 , it's a bargain. ( the cheapest so far).

And the search for a replacement continues.

on 3/16/2015 2:18:00 PM

Adore this mascara. The brush is amazingly long and thin and that is the kind that works wonderfully with my lashes. THe formula is exactly right, not too wet, nor too dry. It doesn't start drying up after opening for a long while (at least mine) Insanely cheap (around $3) No matter how many high end mascaras I try, I still reach for this one day after day. I've had zero problems with it. The ONLY thing I do not like about NYC makeup is the cheap looking packaging, but I love this long, slim tube! Try it, you just might love it too!

on 12/22/2014 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

To be frank I come to find with mascara it all about the brush. does not matter the formula just the brush. so i for the most part I always judge by brush before buy. well my sister had a great brush i found plundering though her things *(we are roommates might i add lol) it was one buy covergirl define lengths something like that but anyway i fell in love the brush i hated the formula so i just use my own tube. well fast forward she saw it in my bathroom and of course took it back as most sisters do. Anyway i say this at target for a 1.72. what attracted me was the really long tube. which i instantly though long thin brush.

fast forward got home and fell in love with the brush itself it give me the baby doll creepy spidery eye look i adore since i cant stand false lashes this give my eyes a bit of that look with out over dramatizing it. the formula i find not really build able but it really black and i just loved it.

on 11/27/2014 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

edit: in order to make it more volumizing, i bent the brush as i pulled it out, into a slight curve and have been using it like that for a few days. it coats the lashes better, and picks up more product, without being gloopy/clumpy. the end result looks good esp when combined with Essence I love extreme volume mascara. if i remember to do this, each time i buy a tube, it could easily become HG.
Pros: My eyes are v sensitive, but this doesn't irritate them compared to other mascaras at the drugstore. It is okay if you're wearing false lashes too.

Cons: everything else. This is fine for lower lashes, but it is just not lengthening at all! I have had it for weeks so I feel I've tried everything to make it work. The thing is, Essence I love extreme volume (pink tube) lengthens more than this, and it isn't even marketed for that.

If I want volume, too, i have to layer a billion times, which is fine--but, because the wand is a spiral pipe-cleaner type of contraption, it clumps the lashes right away with 2-3 coats. I only use this layered on top lashes, with Essence mascara, but it is good for lower lashes.

on 11/16/2014 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I got this mascara about a mo. ago. I have already 7rl others, but find myself reaching for this one the majority of the time. I love how I get clump free, separated, long lashes. It does usually take about 2-3 coats(best not to let dry in between coating), but it has a nice formula that enables it to be build-able. It coats evenly too, which certainly helps w/ the clean lash look. If you're looking for major drama or volume, this may not be suitable (at least I don't get any (volume) on my puny lashes), but it delivers excellently on what it promises -- length. Last of all, the price is extremely low $2.79 (Canadian). Loving it!

on 10/27/2014 11:52:00 AM

This is a really amazing mascara!! Super lengthening and isn't all too clumpy because the first few applications are clumpyish but its not a problem. SOOO CHEAP. I have to say this is HG!!! Its amazing defiantly go buy it when you get the chance because it work really well.

on 9/26/2014 4:35:00 PM

I absolutely aodred NYC City Curls, so when it dried up and I threw it away I opted not to re-purchase it and buy this one instead, because I'm dumb, I guess. It's okay, but it's not what I wanted. It lengthens your lashes excellently, exactly like it says on the package, unlike the mascara I bought from them that curled your lashes exactly like it said on the package. The problem with my lashes is that they fail to curl, however, so this mascara makes my lashes look exactly like every mascara I've tried and not really liked, ie, nonexistant unless you're pressed against my face.

The main draw for me with this mascara is small brush that makes it easy to get to the roots of your lashes without excruciating pain. I like it used in conjunction with citycurl just fine. My lashes stay curled. They look long. They aren't spidery. Before I was using the colossal layered with the citycurl but I prefer this one. Partly because my lashes look longer than with the colossal, partly because the packaging is just WORLDS better (why isn't all mascara in a normal-sized black tube like this?) and mostly because of the nice small brush. It is also much cheaper than most drugstore mascaras ($2 compared to $6-10).

If you are looking for a lengthening mascara with a small brush and a medium-dry formula, you will be pleased. If you are looking for a layering mascara to lengthen your lashes without pain, you will be pleased. If you are looking for an curling mascara to use every day, you will not be pleased, and also you're pretty dumb, the pink one was right there, why didn't you buy it, you're an idiot.

I will say that this review does not take into account mascara longevity because my eyelids are not oily and I have never had an issue with mascara longevity, not even creepy $1 mascara that smelled like tar and looked like tar and actually probably was tar now that i think about it.

on 9/25/2014 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

This is a real decent mascara, it really doesnt do much to my lashes (thick and long). All it really does is give me a natural look and it kind of clumps them together. The formula is goopy, and a little bit think. This is just one of those so-so mascaras.

on 9/18/2014 4:13:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Not the best, but it does the trick. Would repurchase, but there are too many other brands and tubes around that I have to use. It lengthens pretty good, curling not so much, but if I wanted a curling one I would buy it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product has such great packaging, it tricked me into buying it. I got it because it said it lifts the curl, turns out it lied. My eyelashes are straight, dead straight, so I always buy mascara that lifts curl or helps eyelashes appear longer. My eyelashes are also very thin, so most of all the mascaras I buy weigh my lashes down after I have curled them with a curler. I go through so many mascaras, I feel like I have wasted over $100. After a while I thought it was just my lashes but then I came to find Wet&Wild mascara which is waterproof. It works well but only in some places. So I gave NYC a shot, I went all out and bought one mascara that was about $6 another about $2 and I got eyeliner for $2 as well. They all suck CRAP!! The mascara is HORRIBLE! And the liner brush is so thick, one stroke covers my whole lid. I am so mad and frustrated at NYC! I will never buy from NYC ever again! Even if I look like a troll and I am in desperate need of makeup!

Popular Mascaras