Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Hydro-Cream Whip

Not tested on animals

on 3/27/2015 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I bought this after reading an online recommendation that this mousse gives volume to curly hair without drying. (My hair is waist-length, coarse, dense 2b/c curls) I havenít used mousse in over a decade, but since my hair is currently waist-length itís very flat at the roots. I have to shake the can pretty vigorously to get the mousse to dispense and once short pulse dispenses a golf ball-sized glob of mousse. I apply my hair serum while still in the shower. After wrapping my hair loosely in a microfiber towel, I start to apply this at the roots, but I have to be careful not to get it directly on my scalp because itís very drying on the scalp and makes it itch. Next I apply my curl product, the current favorite being Davines Love Curl Enhancing Serum, from my ears to the tips, scrunching as I go making sure the last of the mouse has been distributed (no white streaks of mousse visible). Then I leave my hair alone until it dries (2-3 hours, my hair is very dense). When it comes to volume, this mousse maybe gives me a half inch, but the curls on top of my head are frizzier and shorter hairs on top curl off in their own direction rather than joining with a larger curl. The next time, I skipped the mousse and the hair on top wasnít frizzy, so I know it was this product causing the frizz. I actually think that this product works too well at curling individual hairs and not very well as defining whole curls. This was a big disappointment (Iím glad I bought this on sale), the volume was not worth the frizz. I wonít buy this again.

on 9/15/2014 9:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I want to first off say that I am a lucky one. I have a lot of licensed cosmetologist friends so I get this at the same price they do. Otherwise this stuff is way too expensive. I love it though. It is a different kind of mouse; it is so creamy. Very lightweight but hydrating, this stuff still offers great hold and body. The smell is a huge plus.

on 6/24/2014 6:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this on the recommendation of my stylist. You don't need to use a lot and it's very creamy. It also smells wonderful. It helps define my curls and is good at taming the frizzies. My only gripe is the price, it's stupid expensive. I would only buy it again if they drop the price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I was a student at Paul Mitchell the school when this product came out. At first, the hype was huge and I tend to be pretty skeptical when hype is involved.

When I first started using it, I used to cocktail it with other products so I never got the full effect of what this product can do on its own. Now that I use it on my own hair, I never mix anything with it...it is WONDERFUL on its own!

This mousse is unlike any mousse I've ever used (on myself or on a client.) The moment you put a little in your hand, you can tell it's different. The texture is creamy but it's not heavy in your hair.

What I like most is that it helps control my frizz, even when I play with my hair throughout the day. Even looks good on days 2 and 3!

on 7/18/2013 7:03:00 AM

I love the Paul Mitchell Line of Awapuhi Wild Ginger products. I currently use the shampoo and conditioning cream and decided to give the Hydro-cream whip a try. After applying it to my hair and blow drying, my hair looks incredible. I have increased volume and my hair is shiny and falls perfectly into place. This is a lovely product and I am quite impressed. The price is a bit expensive but well worth it with the results obtained.

on 5/16/2013 3:19:00 PM

I hadn't used mousse since my teens and forgot how awesome it works in my hair! I'm giving a 4 instead of 5 because the smell isn't my total favourite, although not awful - just not great either.

I don't have a problem with the price - I can't imagine it's cheap to make and it works really well. Have and will buy again!

on 5/7/2013 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Another love letter to Paul Mitchell for making this product, and to MUAers for reviewing it. This makes my hair look spectacular. It is indeed a creamy mousse, and because of that it gives my hair the bit of weightless "weight" that tames flyaways and make it lay perfectly. It made my hair very easy to blowdry (and maybe even shortened drying a time a bit--at least it seemed that way) and it is full of body, incredibly shiny, smells great, and has tons of volume without screaming "I've been volumized!" And the body lasts all day and into the next. I also have no need to use more products except a bit of the Awapuhi Wild Ginger Styling Treatment Oil to texturize. Amazing. This is a great hair day in a bottle. I will repurchase!

on 3/12/2013 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this mousse!! It gives me perfect curls with a little amount!! It smells like heaven in a bottle !! I love this so much !!!!

on 11/30/2012 4:50:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

DOESN'T TEST ON ANIMALS YAY! My HOLY GRAIL mouse it is BETTER than any other mouse I've ever tryed, it is non greasy and smells absolutely divine!

on 11/4/2012 9:20:00 PM

A very good mousse, to use alone in curly hair, or with a blowdryer, doesn't leave the hair dry, and adds shine.

Popular Styling Products