November 21, 2014 | 1761 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Recital Preference

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2014 12:05:00 PM More reviews by Nicki13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was so excited to be dying my hair blonde. My hair is naturally a dirty blonde colour and I wanted a change. When I saw L'Oreal's Preference hair dye in Californian - 8 - I loved it and thought it would look really nice, so I bought it. It was between that and the John Frieda colour, which was a bit brighter. I wish I had bought that one. I had my hair dyed today, and I am so angry I could cry. My hair is much the same as it was before, perhaps one shade brighter. I was so excited to have it the colour on the box, but I can certainly say it is no where near it! I had told all of my friends about my colour change, and now they will not notice a difference. I have put bleach in my hair for nothing. I will be buying John Frieda's hair dye in six weeks. Thanks L'Oreal, thanks a lot.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2013 9:47:00 AM More reviews by emmmmmmmm

Awful! I have dyed my hair a lot of times and this is definitely the worst dye I've ever used. It was on offer in Boots at £11 for two. This morning I used the first kit (natural dark brown).

The gloves are small and tricky to get on and off. The colourant is very runny, but that isn't really a problem. In addition to adding the colourant to the developer there is also a 'high shine elixir' which is just a serum; this feels very gimmicky and unnecessary.

The absolute worst thing about this dye is the smell. I know hair dye always smells but this took it to a whole new level! It made me eyes and nose burn!

There is also less product than other dyes, and it is messy to apply due to being too runny.

A positive is the tube of conditioner which will do for a few washes. The colour is ok but nothing special and my hair isn't shiny.

I will be returning the other kit.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2013 8:05:00 PM More reviews by lithiumxflower

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Iím fairly surprised this product got quite bad reviews but I think It may vary from colour to colour, but I found the colour I used ( Palma natural brown 5) to be pretty good. I have used sublime moose by LíOreal in the past and was quite disappointed as I ran out of dye and was provided with a thimble full of conditioner which barely covered the tips of my hair, but this time It was quite different. I have rather long hair that goes down to my lower back so I got two bottles but I only needed one in the end which was surprising. The packaging is pretty good, as usual with home hair dye kits, the gloves are fairly poor but fit better than most. one word of warning is the smell, it's probably one of the most pungent hair dyed I have ever used, It felt like it burnt the tiny hairs out of my nose when I opened it and had to leave the bathroom a lot to get fresh air despite opening a window. That said, the application was fairly easy, however there were one or two patches when I was finished and the ''gel'' colorant was a bit runny but not massively so. The one I bought came with a High shine elixir which I thought was rather good and the conditioner worked a lot better than I was expecting and lasted me ages. The colour I ended up with was quite close to my natural one but was still a lot more interesting and had a reasonable tonal range and was very glossy plus my hair was much softer after dyeing than other permanent hair products I have tried in the past. Over all I was satisfies with what I got and would defiantly consider getting it again, especially as it was only £6.63 from Superdrug.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by Teddykane

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have a lot of white hair with a bit of dark sprinkled through which gives a nasty grey effect so I usually colour it a pale blonde as I don't mind having some darker lowlights. I got Absolute Platinum, hoping for really pale blonde. The stuff is very thick when mixed & difficult to apply. I left it on the required 45 minutes then spent ages trying to wash it all out. Result: stringy ginger hair with lighter streaks & patches, which feels awful & looks worse. Since we both have short hair, I split the box with my BF who is naturally dark blonde. He is now also ginger.
This is a horrible product which I will never use again!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Len0len

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I know that a lot of people really didn't like this product, but I thought it actually did what it said it would. I loved that it told you what it would turn out like on different hair colors. I have natural dark brown hair (about shade 5?) with reddish undertones. I wanted to go a shade lighter, so I figured that I'd be safe and just buy something 2 shades lighter and then dye lighter and lighter gradually. So, I bought 7 Rimini (Dark Blonde). I will admit that it smelled pretty bad, but I just left the window open and it was fine. The overall application was good, but my roots ended up being lighter (because I started at the roots...). In the end, my hair ended up being maybe .2-.5 shades lighter, so in a few weeks, I'm going to dye a shade lighter. Overall, I would definitely use this dye again, and for brunette hair, I would totally recommend it!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2012 2:57:00 PM More reviews by rareshela

Appaling!!!
used this about two months ago

Turned my blonde hair greyish/green.
Not impressed, I also had to buy two tubes because I have long hair and that's 16 quid flushed down the toilet.

L'oreal keeps disappointing me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 8:45:00 AM More reviews by curlylaura

I used Florida blonde (7.3) on my hair to blend my new growth with my highlights. It's a pretty good match to my natural hair colour, just slightly lighter but it completely washed out of the highlighted hair within a few washes. So much for permanent. Oh well, trying something different this time round.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by star19

After dying my hair last night 'California mid blonde', I am furious about the greeny/brown/grey hair colour result! I have always home dyed my hair 'lightest natural blonde' and wanted a more natural hair colour. I have long hair, so had to buy two hair colouring packs. My lovely long blonde hair is now ruined after months of not dying it and using tongs. Do not use this product if you have blonde hair as you'll end up with a horrendous colour. Not even salvageable as it doesn't look natural at all. Thank you very much loreal.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/10/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by lauinia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been regularly home dying my hair for about 20 years now with the odd trip to the hairdresser, purely for highlighting.

I have tried the vast majority of home colourants available in the UK (I'd rate L'Oreal's Excellence range - that's been great in the past) and in addition, I have also used some professional dyes. Basically, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. Better than most people.

L'Oreal Recital Preference, Shade 8: "California" is hands down, the most appalling dye I have ever used. I'm self-censoring and using the word 'appalling' instead of the string of expletives that I've said out loud this evening, many of which have begun with the letter F.

Aside from the bottle being a bit light on product, which therefore meant that it was not easy to spread, my once beautiful, mid-blonde hair is now grey/green and looks dreadful.

What am I supposed to do, L'Oreal? I have work in the morning and you only answer your 'helpline' until 6. That's not actually very helpful at all. I'm now going to have to take time off work (I'm beyond furious about this) to visit the chemist and buy a product to strip your crap out. What a waste of time and money... God knows what this is going to do to my hair... It will probably destroy it.

There is no apparent reason for this happening. My hair was clean and I followed the packet instructions to the letter. I can only conclude that the product is defective or inferior.

I'll never buy this again. I'm heartbroken and so, so angry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2011 9:02:00 AM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I got this on offer 2 for £10 at Sainsburys. Originally it's just under £7 - not expensive but more pricey than most home dyes on the market. My hair is naturally black but after years of bleaching, dying, using hot tools, relaxing etc...my hair had faded to a dull mid brown sort of colour. I wanted to go back to an off black/soft black sort of colour and picked this up in shade #3 Brasilia, which is described as a deep dark velvety brown. It is a permanent hair colour.

Recital Preference claims to have an 'anti-fade system' which makes your hair full of shine for up to 6 weeks. Most dyes turn out very dull/matte on me and this one did indeed turn out very shiny! The free conditioner is enriched with a UV filter and Vitamin E to prolong the shine too. The conditioner is very nice and leaves the hair feeling soft and silky.

Application was okay - you have to apply to towel dryed hair. I prefer this method as when I apply dye on dry hair I tend to get patchiness and miss spots. Anyway, the dye is a GEL formula which I found pretty cool as I'm used to cremes or foam formulas. It was easy but did drip a little....because of the damp hair though, not the dye itself. The smell was not too bad at all either, I didn't even have to open my bathroom window. I left it on for 15 mins instead of the recommended 30 as I have very damaged/porous hair.

Rinsing was such an effort...took me about 15 mins to rinse all the dye out, and even then the water was still turning a bit grey! My hair felt very soft though, unlike when I usually dye it with other dyes which leaves it feeling matted and tangly and rough...dryed my hair and was left with a very very intense dark brown/soft black shade. I love it. Perfectly covered every strand of hair on my head too. The colour has not faded much at all unlike other dyes I've used (Garnier, Schwartzkoph, Boots etc..) which fade within 2-3 weeks.

Overall I'm very happy with it and I will be repurchasing! This and the L'Oreal Excellence are my favourite dyes...although I do like this one a little better as it gives a bit more shine than the Excellence :)