October 25, 2014 | 1732 users online

Fragrances - Jean Patou - Joy

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2014 6:12:00 PM More reviews by mhubbard

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was a gift. For full disclosure, I am a lover of gourmands and some various odd-ball scents. While I can see the appeal of Joy, unfortunately I am one of those who can truly smell the animalic poo-poo note in it. As such, it is simply a bit too old-fashioned for my taste. Alarming and dated as one reviewer put it. Not suitable for work, questionably appropriate for romance and certainly not for down-time relaxation.....oh well. I will keep my bottle for the odd moment, but would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by cocochanel4ever

Last summer I ordered COCO pure parfum on ebay, and seller was nice to put the edt Joy by Jean Patou as a free gift. I was so scared to spray it on skin, so instead sprayed in the package box it came with. What can I say? Terrible terrible smell! but I didn't throw it away, just put it away in my closet.
Today I stopped by little Vintage shop, and guess what I see there: Vintage, Pure Parfum Joy Jean Patou, 1oz, made in France. Box looks very old, but bottle inside is new. Remembering my previous experience with edt, I wasn't sure I want to smell it, but beautiful price of 12$ (and on ebay they go for 350$ and up) made me buy it. Thank you Jesus I bought it!!! I barely touched my skin with crystal stopper, not even 1 drop, and most beautiful fragrance filled the room. Sorry Chanels and Shalimar, my new love is Joy. No cat pee, as some reviewers detect in it, just smooth rounded jasmine and rose. I can't stop smelling my wrist. Quality of the parfum is amazing! Im still scared to get my edt bottle out and compare it side by side. 30ml of this pure Joy is wonderful, but I will search for another bottle or bottles)) My inner hamster wants to get as much of this stuff as possible because it's rare and vintage and hard to find. I never tried modern Joy, but as with every perfume, vintage is always better because only natural ingredients were used. Little tip for any vintage perfume lover as myself: it is possible to find rare and vintage perfume at garage sales, estate sales, vintage shops and thrift stores. there is also Ebay, but it's better to smell fragrance first, to make sure it is not fake or spoiled. well, that's it about Joy. Wonderful perfume, and in pure parfum form it's heaven. Highly recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/19/2014 7:20:00 PM More reviews by shadedmaryy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My sister in-law who lives in Hollywood gave me a bottle of Joy, I've had this sweetie for years.
Today because the tiny bottle is almost 80% empty I decided to make something different out of it that would not clash but blend well with Joy. Out of what I own I could have added some EL White Linen or No 5, but decided to top it up with Chanel No 5, might add some White Linen to it at a later point, not sure, mixing can be fun and because the tiny bottle is a screw top I'm able to re-use it and keep it in my purse.

Joy is good for anytime, low key so you won't knock anyone out with it or stand out of the crowd if you use it with a light hand. It works well at a dinner party or any formal setting, weddings, high teas.

Top notes:Tuberrose
Jasmine, Iris. Base: Musk, Sandlewood, Civit

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by snkatha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

The second I sprayed this on myself I thought insecticide. I've heard others call this cat pee & I get what they mean! It's very sharp! 15 mins I can still smell insecticide with flowers starting to peek through. Then there's this beautiful woody scent starting to come through & I can smell the roses in this & the insecticide smell is gone. This is when I start enjoying this scent. The florals, the woods almost like incense, there's a bit of powder in there....This perfume keeps morphing & revealing itself bit by bit. It definitely is a classic, classy scent The beginning scared me but it morphs into something lovely.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2014 9:12:00 AM More reviews by gypsytejas

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After years of not wearing fragrance, I decided I wanted some. Getting all those samples from Sephora started it. So I began researching, wanting something classic and timeless. Joy was always at the top. The department stores closest to me don't carry it and I'm not going 2 hours roundtrip just for a perfume. So I bought a small purse spray, smell untried. Well, for me, this stuff is un-wearable and unbearable. It smells like a damp, dirty dog who had also rolled in fresh deer dung. I have a dog who has done that. My husband even came in the room an hour after I lightly spritzed one wrist and said the dog needed a bath ! The smell is overwhelmingly dirty, strong and even effects my taste buds negatively. It eventually calms down and I can smell old, dried attic roses under the civet musk. Why anyone would wear this is beyond me. I even let a girlfriend try it and it was just as bad for her. Now I need to swap this full .33 oz spray for something I find I can wear and love - Shalimar Initial.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great to have as a reference, but not very wearable for me. I only have the EdT which I find rosier than the EdP (I've never had the opportunity to smell the parfum) with slightly less jasmine. The rose is surprisingly lemony and fresh and contrasts well with the highly indolic jasmine and tuberose. There's some powdery iris and a fair amount of ylang ylang. All of it is blended smoothly to create a big, old fashioned floral. The animalic notes in the base are alarming and dated. I can't say that I like Joy but it's so impressive and such an interesting perfume, I have to give it at least 4 lipsticks. There is something fascinating about it... truly a perfume of a different era.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Joy by Jean Patou can be described as the quintessential vintage fragrance overflowing with rose, aldehydes, and civet. The civet is definitely loud and dirty, but it blends with the sweet, juicy aspect of the rose rendering it velvety and luscious. When I wear Joy, I conservatively apply it and keep a modern appearance. Id love to meet someone who swims in this fragrance :)

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2011 9:03:00 AM More reviews by lindyloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is for the pure parfum.
This is the Summer of my quest for a signature scent and so far it has been disappointing. After years, and years of being a perfume junkie I am going back to the classics, trying to find that scent that will "just do it" for me. My latest expenditure was Joy pure parfum. Again, relying on the book Perfumes the Guide, and their raving review of Joy parfum, I threw all fate to the wind and spent the $275. Well, 3 days later I am still asking myself - What were you thinking? It goes on pungent, I mean really pungent! Very hard to take. So pungent, you don't want to be around others so as not to offend anyone. After 30 minutes a bouquet of florals opens up - rose, jasmine, tuberose - but not distinct. Bold, overpowering. I was waiting for a smooth symphony of bold florals, something to send me soaring, but it never came. I kept waiting for that beautiful aroma to waft up from my wrists that would sooth me, make me feel sensuous - nothing. Then came the dry-down. I can only describe it in one word - horrid. On me, the low note comes across as a strong civet. Repulsive, cat pee repulsive. After the third day of wearing it, waiting for something different to happen each day, I gave up. I cannot wear this again. What an expensive lesson to learn. There is never the pure parfum on display in the store as a tester. I shoud have tried the edp and then made a decision. Thank God my husband was on a business trip and was not around to question "what the hell are your wearing now/'

12 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2010 7:11:00 PM More reviews by Msdoodle68

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Oooh this is such a vintage, classy smell. When i first got this for Christmas, i couldn't stop sniffing it, and i wear for daily use or going out, it is an amazing perfume worthy of it's amazing reputation, i love telling people i own a perfume that used to be the costliest perume in the world! :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by sunnyonne1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

a most boring floral. Not even worthy of me wasting my thoughts and words. It stinks like a gazzillion flowers. Lacks originality and complexity. If you love carrying armloads of bouquets, this one is for you. Long ago, it was a gift from my mother-in-law. I loved her, but hated this gift.