April 18, 2014 | 1710 users online

Treatments - Scott Cornwall - Colour B4

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2014 10:57:00 AM More reviews by MyMakeupPerspective

This is my very in-depth review AND demo (I show before, during the process, and after results) of this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Laurax95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been dying my long (originally light brown) hair black for 5 years. I decided that I wanted a change. I went to my hair dresser and she said there is nothing she can do which will remove the colour fully and that I should wait for the colour to grow out. As I'm inpatient if decided to purchase colour b4 extra strength for £9.99 from sainsburys.

I followed the instructions correctly, applied the product and brushed it through with a comb to get even coverage and then wrapped my hair up in cling film followed by hats and hoods to keep my head super warm. When I then washed the product out I could see that my hair was a brassy brown colour and I was amazed! Once my hair was dry it was all this brassy brown colour, which isn't my natural colour, but I loved it I couldn't believe that this product had worked and that all my black had disappeared and I was so pleased with how even the colour was on my hair. I have never bleached my hair and didn't want to damage it hence why I use this product as it contains no bleach or ammonia, it also hasn't left my hair looking dry it feels just like it did before I used the product.

It's been two weeks since I used it and the brassyness has faded so I'm left with a warm brown colour which I'm so pleased with, I would recommend it to anyone!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2013 5:42:00 PM More reviews by emilyjonesx

I have natural blonde hair but have been dying my hair black for around 3 years now, really wanted to go a nice brown colour for the summer!, heard about the mixed reviews for this product and thought I might aswel give it ago. What a mistake that was! my roots turned white, the bottom turned brown and everywhere else stayed black. Wasn't expecting a miricle but still abit dissapointed. I used the Colour B4 extra strength but looks like it couldn't defeat the 3 year build up, damn.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by kiki725

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like to flip between light and dark shades quite often and i have used this product about three times now all with great results.

Now, it does taken ages to do the whole process but i feel it is worth it - the before and after shades are always several shades different.

I find it does dry my hair out so i use a deep conditioner after and it does leave my hair kinda brassy too - but since it is possible to dye your hair straight away after using this product thats ok too.

It is much cheaper than going to the salon and i will continue to use it when i want to go blonde again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by dashcrabtree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've used this twice now, mostly to remove color build up to get back to a lighter, more receptive base. Both times, I've had layers of ashy brown, intense copper, and chocolate dyes due to my natural indecisiveness about my hair color. Colour B4 really does what it promises. Yes, your hair will most likely be reddish (as even dark dyes have "secret" lightening agents in them--that's why even neutral dyes go brassy without being touched up), and yes, this smells pretty horrible. If you're going to be turned off by the way a product like this smells, though, you must not need it very badly. This really is only for emergencies in my opinion, because it leaves the hair pretty dry... Deep conditioning afterward is a must.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by mazlovesbetty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oh my goodness. This product makes me less scared to ever try a permanent hair colour again: because IT WORKS!

I decided that it would be a good idea to put a permanent brown dye over my naturally blonde hair as I was getting quite bored of it and fancied a change. It looked lovely at first but then it faded very quickly as my hair does not hold dye well...
Faced with the prospect of having to keep redying every 2-3 weeksand consequently wrecking my hair, I decided to remove it and appreciate what mother nature has given me ;)

PURCHASE:
Cost me 9.99 from boots. I got the regular strength version as I had only put one box of dye on virgin hair and it was already very faded but I would recommend that if you have dyed your hair more than once, you would need the extra strength version.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Detailed and easy to follow. I thought that the fact it told you to read it twice was good as there were quite a few steps to take in.

THE PROCESS

Quite messy application. And it does smell pretty badly of eggs. The liquid was quite runny and it was hard to put enough on my head with the nozzle. In the end I just poured it into my hand and rubbed it on my head which seemed to work fairly well! It did have a tendency to drip everywhere though just a warning...
30 minutes to be left which was fine. I wrapped my hair in a carrier bag and warmed it with a hairdryer for a little bit to make sure it worked to its full potential.

Now you do have to stand under the shower for a long time, 10 minutes + in total. The box said that this step is very important so I made sure to do it for as long as I could stand it. It made my hair feel sort of...gluey. And I got bored. But there are worse things in life!

Once I had finished all of the stages I was a little concerned because it looked quite reddish wet...However, I dried it and VOILA. My hair was so close to my natural colour it was uncanny! Not perfect, but certainly a very very good match.

OVERALL

This product is not cheap, and it smells, and is not the easiest to apply. However, the reason I have given it a 5 star rating is because it does exactly what it says on the tin: and on top of that has left my hair looking shiny and feeling very soft. So honestly; I know other people have had different experiences, but if you are very sick of your colour and don't know what to do about it, I would recommend this product thoroughly :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by JOMCKEE

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product worked!!, and without ruining my hair. I would recommend to anyone who has accidently, like myself, dyed your hair too dark. This is easily done as I was naturally very dark brown and now I am greying I find that the medium browns are too light and often tinged with ginger and don't last, and the dark browns are jet black and are until now impossible to remove without bleaching and ruining your hair in the process.
This product works, it lifts the artificial colour out, I can not say that the colour you are left with is at all pleasant, and as lots of dyes have bleaching agents in them you may be left with an orangy hue, but at least you can work with that and dye it a colour of your choice.
My hair is medium length and the room was a bit cold, using it again I would opt for two packs and put the heating on first, as I feel I would have got and even better more even result if I had done this.
If you have accidently dyed your hair black give this a try and save yourself a fortune at the hairdressers., but have your new colour at the ready.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/25/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by beeettthhh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Use this product if you want ginger hair. It made my hair so so ginger which I know most people expierence, I then put on the recommended nice n easy non permanent medium ash blonde, which did nothing. Worst, when I tried to bleach my hair it would only take to the roots (luckily I had only done a small-ish area to try). It looked like I'd deliberately wanted browny ginger hair with blonde roots and patches underneath. A week later my hair was pretty much back to brown anyway... I hadn't put any dye on and I used SLS free shampoo so Scott Cornwall blaming silicone products for this is a liar.
6 weeks later and I am blonde again but had an embarrassing few weeks and had to use a lot of bleach in the end. Do not buy this!!! Smells too and made my hair stink for weeks, there was a horrible whiff in the air like egg. My hair felt so dried out and weird

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2011 11:11:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

"Colour B4 shrinks the artificial dye molecules in the hair, enabling you to simply wash them away. What's more Colour B4 does not touch your natural hair pigment so you are left with the colour which lay beneath your artificial shade. Colour B4 takes you back to your lightest shade. It will return your hair to its natural colour if the artificial hair colour applied is darker than your natural level."

I'd read all of the information on the box carefully in Boots, and the box states that Colour B4 is perfect for removing product build up, as well as being safe to use before colouring your hair. Nothing else on the box made me think that this product wouldn't work for me, so since everything sounded good I paid for it and headed home and opened up the box to get started...

... Things started to come undone at this point. The back of the mixing and application instruction sheet is a FAQ sheet; it is here that I learnt that you shouldn't use a permanent dye on your hair for at least four weeks after using Colour B4 - OK, fair enough, but you could have put that on the outer packaging.

After reading a bit further I learnt that "high fashion colours" such as blue-black, red and purple (also henna) can stain the hair cuticle, which Colour B4 is apparently powerless against as removal could "be much harder". The dye I want to remove was purple and before that I'd used a few different shades of red and my old shampoo and conditioner contained henna. Uh oh.

The FAQs don't tell you if Colour B4 can remove some of the build up or not, so hope was not yet lost.

Next up is silicone's: did you hair dye boast about being 'anti fade', 'fade resistant', 'water proofed', 'shine enhancing' or 'colour locking'? You've probably got silicone. We're reassured that they're harmless, but if you have used a heated styling tool on your hair, then the silicone may have hardened and formed a inpenitrable shell around your hair and guess what? Colour B4 is powerless against that too.

At this point I unsuccessfully looked for my receipt and was then left to re-read everything and focus on the fact that the FAQs uses phases such as "much harder" and "may not", rather then "removal is impossible" and "will not work".

Also; the friend of mine who had used Colour B4 to remove her old colour had used the same brand that I use and she uses hair straighteners every day. So I guess that the fact that she encountered no problems using Colour B4 means that our chosen brand of dye is silicone free [crossing fingers].

In the shower I could see that the ends of my hair were a slightly brassy blonde. I used to colour my hair blonde [before my latest brown, red and purple], so yay! Colour B4 had successfully removed the brown, reds and purple dyes and revealed my old blonde colour, fantastic.

That joyful feeling lasted until I checked out my reflection; It wasn't just the ends of my hair which were a brassy blonde, for some reason it was my whole head. And my hair didn't dry as a somewhat brassy blonde - it dried ginger. And when I say ginger, I don't mean blonde with copper undertones, I really do mean flaming-orange ginger.

So I was now ginger and the instructions tell you to wait four weeks before applying a permanent dye to your hair - but wait! One of the FAQs says wait one week. I decided to split the difference and wait two weeks and spend until then washing my hair daily with Vosene [it is great at quickly fading hair dye].

After two days of ginger themed jokes I caved and reached for a new dye, after all my hair already wrecked so it couldn't be any worse...

Drum roll; The dye I've now used [Schwarzkopf live colour XXL in Mystic Violet] did apply much darker then it should, but after the first week it quickly lightened with each wash and is now it has reached and maintained as exactly the same as the colour on the box.

I would recommended waiting at least two weeks though, as although my new colour is fine it might not work out the same for someone else. Please don't risk ruining your hair just because I did.

Would I recommend it? Yes - if you know for certain what ingredients the hair dye you're trying to remove contains and that's not always easy to figure out.

If I were honest I'd admit that I'll consider using it again myself; a little voice in my head keeps telling me that if I used a red over the resulting ginger it'd be very vibrant...

But, yeah, I wouldn't recommend it to people who aren't sure about the ingredients in their hair dye - any future disasters will be my own fault, but I would hate for someone else to have a mishap with it.

I can't complain about my results really as I did know that it may not work and, after all, it did remove the colour build up for me. I've thought long and hard and have decided that one of the colours I recently used must contain bleach and that - combined with cuticle staining - caused my hair to turn that lovely shade of orange.

I will complain about the outer packaging not stating the it is advisable to wait four weeks before colouring your hair again. If I'd known that I probably wouldn't have bought this. Then again it says to wait "at least one week" before using a permanent dye [you can use wash out or semi-permanent dyes right away] in the FAQ, which left me doubtful over the product.

Also; the wording as a whole on the instructions needs tweaking. The way things are phrased leaves wiggle room and doubt, which isn't good when it comes to impulsive customers like myself. Also it contradicts itself when it comes to time before recolouring itself.

Finally; I've since read on various sites that Schwarzkopf hair dyes DO contain silicone, and I do regularly use hair straighteners, that reach 230.c. So which once again, my experience using this product shows that the information that comes with Colour B4 really does need looking at by the manufacturers.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No