October 24, 2014 | 1747 users online

Hair Treatments - Scott Cornwall - Colour B4

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by JustEissler

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I've been dying my thin, fine, naturally blonde hair with a dark brown shade for about a year, touching up the roots only. I got a bit tired of the maintenance and decided to attempt a return to my natural colour, preferably WITHOUT bleach (under normal circumstances I have no issue with bleach, but I'm trying to grow out my hair and want to avoid chopping it off). Before trying this product, I used Color Oops, which literally did nothing at all to my hair, though I followed the instructions to the letter. After doing a bit more research, I figured I'd give Colour B4 a shot; it seemed to be more heavy-duty.

As with Color Oops, I carefully followed the instructions and rinsed my hair for an eternity (by which I mean about half an hour). It DID lift my colour ever so slightly - in the sun it kind of looked like a medium reddish brown instead of dark brown - but it definitely wasn't light enough to colour over with a lighter dye. I don't blame the product; my hair is ultra-resistant to absolutely everything, even bleach, and I wasn't really expecting this to work. I just wanted to try it before resorting to bleach...just in case.

On a random note: the way that the instructions were worded really amused me. They seemed very casual and detailed; very different from the cookie-cutter instruction booklets that come with other box dyes and hair treatments, which is why I gave the packaging a 5 :-P

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by threearmsally

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

The product delivers if you follow the instructions. It lifted my black hair to a golden brown that isn't too far from my natural colour (my hair has been bleached a few times though, so that was just a coincidence). Didn't seem to damage my hair, though the long rinsing process did make it pretty dry. This can be fixed with a few deep conditioning treatments, though.

The smell is awful though. Isn't there any way to make the product NOT smell so horrible? After washing my hair twice, the smell is still lingering in my hair.

I suppose I'd use this product again if it was an emergency, but I'd hesitate because of the smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2014 10:57:00 AM More reviews by MyMakeupPerspective

This is my very in-depth review AND demo (I show before, during the process, and after results) of this product.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Laurax95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been dying my long (originally light brown) hair black for 5 years. I decided that I wanted a change. I went to my hair dresser and she said there is nothing she can do which will remove the colour fully and that I should wait for the colour to grow out. As I'm inpatient if decided to purchase colour b4 extra strength for £9.99 from sainsburys.

I followed the instructions correctly, applied the product and brushed it through with a comb to get even coverage and then wrapped my hair up in cling film followed by hats and hoods to keep my head super warm. When I then washed the product out I could see that my hair was a brassy brown colour and I was amazed! Once my hair was dry it was all this brassy brown colour, which isn't my natural colour, but I loved it I couldn't believe that this product had worked and that all my black had disappeared and I was so pleased with how even the colour was on my hair. I have never bleached my hair and didn't want to damage it hence why I use this product as it contains no bleach or ammonia, it also hasn't left my hair looking dry it feels just like it did before I used the product.

It's been two weeks since I used it and the brassyness has faded so I'm left with a warm brown colour which I'm so pleased with, I would recommend it to anyone!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2013 5:42:00 PM More reviews by emilyjonesx

I have natural blonde hair but have been dying my hair black for around 3 years now, really wanted to go a nice brown colour for the summer!, heard about the mixed reviews for this product and thought I might aswel give it ago. What a mistake that was! my roots turned white, the bottom turned brown and everywhere else stayed black. Wasn't expecting a miricle but still abit dissapointed. I used the Colour B4 extra strength but looks like it couldn't defeat the 3 year build up, damn.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by kiki725

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like to flip between light and dark shades quite often and i have used this product about three times now all with great results.

Now, it does taken ages to do the whole process but i feel it is worth it - the before and after shades are always several shades different.

I find it does dry my hair out so i use a deep conditioner after and it does leave my hair kinda brassy too - but since it is possible to dye your hair straight away after using this product thats ok too.

It is much cheaper than going to the salon and i will continue to use it when i want to go blonde again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by dashcrabtree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've used this twice now, mostly to remove color build up to get back to a lighter, more receptive base. Both times, I've had layers of ashy brown, intense copper, and chocolate dyes due to my natural indecisiveness about my hair color. Colour B4 really does what it promises. Yes, your hair will most likely be reddish (as even dark dyes have "secret" lightening agents in them--that's why even neutral dyes go brassy without being touched up), and yes, this smells pretty horrible. If you're going to be turned off by the way a product like this smells, though, you must not need it very badly. This really is only for emergencies in my opinion, because it leaves the hair pretty dry... Deep conditioning afterward is a must.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by mazlovesbetty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Oh my goodness. This product makes me less scared to ever try a permanent hair colour again: because IT WORKS!

I decided that it would be a good idea to put a permanent brown dye over my naturally blonde hair as I was getting quite bored of it and fancied a change. It looked lovely at first but then it faded very quickly as my hair does not hold dye well...
Faced with the prospect of having to keep redying every 2-3 weeksand consequently wrecking my hair, I decided to remove it and appreciate what mother nature has given me ;)

PURCHASE:
Cost me 9.99 from boots. I got the regular strength version as I had only put one box of dye on virgin hair and it was already very faded but I would recommend that if you have dyed your hair more than once, you would need the extra strength version.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Detailed and easy to follow. I thought that the fact it told you to read it twice was good as there were quite a few steps to take in.

THE PROCESS

Quite messy application. And it does smell pretty badly of eggs. The liquid was quite runny and it was hard to put enough on my head with the nozzle. In the end I just poured it into my hand and rubbed it on my head which seemed to work fairly well! It did have a tendency to drip everywhere though just a warning...
30 minutes to be left which was fine. I wrapped my hair in a carrier bag and warmed it with a hairdryer for a little bit to make sure it worked to its full potential.

Now you do have to stand under the shower for a long time, 10 minutes + in total. The box said that this step is very important so I made sure to do it for as long as I could stand it. It made my hair feel sort of...gluey. And I got bored. But there are worse things in life!

Once I had finished all of the stages I was a little concerned because it looked quite reddish wet...However, I dried it and VOILA. My hair was so close to my natural colour it was uncanny! Not perfect, but certainly a very very good match.

OVERALL

This product is not cheap, and it smells, and is not the easiest to apply. However, the reason I have given it a 5 star rating is because it does exactly what it says on the tin: and on top of that has left my hair looking shiny and feeling very soft. So honestly; I know other people have had different experiences, but if you are very sick of your colour and don't know what to do about it, I would recommend this product thoroughly :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by JOMCKEE

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product worked!!, and without ruining my hair. I would recommend to anyone who has accidently, like myself, dyed your hair too dark. This is easily done as I was naturally very dark brown and now I am greying I find that the medium browns are too light and often tinged with ginger and don't last, and the dark browns are jet black and are until now impossible to remove without bleaching and ruining your hair in the process.
This product works, it lifts the artificial colour out, I can not say that the colour you are left with is at all pleasant, and as lots of dyes have bleaching agents in them you may be left with an orangy hue, but at least you can work with that and dye it a colour of your choice.
My hair is medium length and the room was a bit cold, using it again I would opt for two packs and put the heating on first, as I feel I would have got and even better more even result if I had done this.
If you have accidently dyed your hair black give this a try and save yourself a fortune at the hairdressers., but have your new colour at the ready.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/25/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by beeettthhh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Use this product if you want ginger hair. It made my hair so so ginger which I know most people expierence, I then put on the recommended nice n easy non permanent medium ash blonde, which did nothing. Worst, when I tried to bleach my hair it would only take to the roots (luckily I had only done a small-ish area to try). It looked like I'd deliberately wanted browny ginger hair with blonde roots and patches underneath. A week later my hair was pretty much back to brown anyway... I hadn't put any dye on and I used SLS free shampoo so Scott Cornwall blaming silicone products for this is a liar.
6 weeks later and I am blonde again but had an embarrassing few weeks and had to use a lot of bleach in the end. Do not buy this!!! Smells too and made my hair stink for weeks, there was a horrible whiff in the air like egg. My hair felt so dried out and weird

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No