Scott Cornwall - Colour B4

on 9/16/2015 2:26:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

So, to start things off, here's a brief (recent) hair history:

- Green hair for a few months. Got tired of the upkeep and dyed it back to black. Got tired of having to touch up my roots every couple weeks when I'd trim my sidecut, decided "hey I'm just gonna go back to my natural and stop messing with my hair." (at this time I had two full-head applications of blue-black box dye on my hair)

- Used L'oreal Hair Color Remover. Didn't do much except for turning my roots white and barely lifting some color out of some spots. I wouldn't recommend that product since it does contain bleach and isn't really a color stripper, ya feel me? My hair got pretty damaged from it.

- Went (2) rounds with Color Oops Extra Strength. That removed nearly all of the black dye, except I still had some very dark, nearly black patches in some under layers and a big hunk right on my fringe. Attempted dying it a color close to my natural (copper), but it didn't turn out quite right so I was trying to strip that, as well as the darker sections, out.

ONTO THE REVIEW. I'd heard that Colour B4 was better than Color Oops, and I didn't really want to go another round with the Oops. I'm really pleased with this stuff. All of the dark patches have been removed, and my hair is even enough now to put a color close to my natural over it without having all these weird different tones.

It does stink, but tbh I found it a bit more bearable than Color Oops? Still has that sulfur smell, but I dunno. Wasn't as pungent or something, at least I didn't find it to be as stanky as Color Oops. I also like the texture of this better - Color Oops, if I remember correctly, was runnier than this was.

The rinsing stage was also better with Colour B4, I think because it breaks up all that rinsing time into increments, and you have to buffer twice, rather than just standing there rinsing your hair for 20 minutes like with Oops.

It did dry my hair out, but I'm really happy with the results. Just gonna soak my hair in some coconut oil to get that moisture back. OH - and the color I got at the end of all this was a light brown-ish color, kinda leaning ginger.

ALSO ------- I'm in the States, and for anyone else here looking to order it - I was originally going to buy this off of Amazon, it was like $13 or something with free shipping. Only problem was that I was going to place the order on Sep. 11th, and the estimated arrival time was between Oct. 8th - 22nd. Couldn't find an option to change the shipping to get it here faster. So I found it on, and it was about the same price, $6 shipping (I was around that amount), and it arrived in a few days. I'd rather pay a bit more and have it get here sooner rather than be waiting for it for a month to almost two months. I'm sure it's available elsewhere online too, but just wanted to add that bit in there.

on 3/22/2015 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I just used the following product yesterday on my own hair: " colour b4 hair colour remover" in "Extra Strength ".

Hair history: Over the last four years I have been dying my hair dark browns,medium browns, reddy-brown. My natural hair colour is dark blonde. My hair length is 40-45cm long (a bit above my boobs) and I used 1 box that covered all my hair. My hair texture is wavy-curly. I have fine hair but lots of it. I was happy i could use just one box per appication as my hair is longish.

My hair before the colour b4 was a medium brown.The top of my hair and the tips were a little lighter, with most the lengths the medium brown which looked quite dark.

The night before the colour b4 I did prep my hair before the treatment with using a clarifying shampoo. and also do not use conditioner before the treatment as you want the treatment to be able to get into the hair shaft with nothing in its way.

Also I rinsed for maximum time on all steps ( I know ages right but i had to made sure I done it right as rinsing/buffering stage is most important stage) also instructions that it comes with are really helpful.

Result: It turned my meduim brown hair to a chestnut light brown with some reddy-gingery tint but it looks quite a pretty colour that many people have told me they like and want in their hair. the hair looked quite even , but the mostly dark ends part was still a bit darker.I then decided to do the treatment again using another box. result: It didn't change my hair colour much but the dark ends did get alittle lighter.

*My hair doesn't feel that dry as it was in good condition before i stated the colour b4 process.
* when processing i used glad wrap(clingfilm) then put a plastic shower cap over. then one beanie over that. then i sat in sun for full 60mins.
*when using hair dryer to dry after process is finished use on the warm medium setting rather then the hot setting.
*i wore my gloves in the shower as it made it easier for me to wash my hair out as wearing the gloves your hair will feel silky smooth , even though its a bit dry.I probably wouldn't have washed the product out properly and freak out if it felt too dry in shower so I wore the gloves in there.
*I personally didn't think the smell was bad and I don't think it smells like rotten eggs as many reviewers said (I watched many utube reviews before i brought/used the colour b4 product)
* per box It took about 2 hours total to do the whole process. ( appox- applying took 30min, processing 1 hr and rinsing 30 min)

My goal is to get my hair back to my natural hair colour(dark blonde). I'm going to leave my hair as it is for awhile as I'm liking the colour and also to give my hair a break. Later on I may do the treatment one last time(can only use colour b4 up to three times). The instructions to colour b4 can be found online if you want more info.

I am really happy with the result and was really surprised with how much it did lighten my hair. I live in New Zealand so i purchased the colour b4 online, on ebay for about $45 total for two boxes, shipping included in that total. Well worth the money.

Feel free to email me with any questions. - Here to help and support, not judge :)

I hope this review helped. good luck :)

on 8/12/2014 10:04:00 PM

I've been dying my thin, fine, naturally blonde hair with a dark brown shade for about a year, touching up the roots only. I got a bit tired of the maintenance and decided to attempt a return to my natural colour, preferably WITHOUT bleach (under normal circumstances I have no issue with bleach, but I'm trying to grow out my hair and want to avoid chopping it off). Before trying this product, I used Color Oops, which literally did nothing at all to my hair, though I followed the instructions to the letter. After doing a bit more research, I figured I'd give Colour B4 a shot; it seemed to be more heavy-duty.

As with Color Oops, I carefully followed the instructions and rinsed my hair for an eternity (by which I mean about half an hour). It DID lift my colour ever so slightly - in the sun it kind of looked like a medium reddish brown instead of dark brown - but it definitely wasn't light enough to colour over with a lighter dye. I don't blame the product; my hair is ultra-resistant to absolutely everything, even bleach, and I wasn't really expecting this to work. I just wanted to try it before resorting to bleach...just in case.

On a random note: the way that the instructions were worded really amused me. They seemed very casual and detailed; very different from the cookie-cutter instruction booklets that come with other box dyes and hair treatments, which is why I gave the packaging a 5 :-P

The product delivers if you follow the instructions. It lifted my black hair to a golden brown that isn't too far from my natural colour (my hair has been bleached a few times though, so that was just a coincidence). Didn't seem to damage my hair, though the long rinsing process did make it pretty dry. This can be fixed with a few deep conditioning treatments, though.

The smell is awful though. Isn't there any way to make the product NOT smell so horrible? After washing my hair twice, the smell is still lingering in my hair.

I suppose I'd use this product again if it was an emergency, but I'd hesitate because of the smell.

EDIT: I did end up using this product once more after I dyed my bleach blonde hair a coppery red that was all wrong. It took away all the red and left me back at my blonde. I was very impressed!

This is my very in-depth review AND demo (I show before, during the process, and after results) of this product.

on 1/1/2014 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have been dying my long (originally light brown) hair black for 5 years. I decided that I wanted a change. I went to my hair dresser and she said there is nothing she can do which will remove the colour fully and that I should wait for the colour to grow out. As I'm inpatient if decided to purchase colour b4 extra strength for £9.99 from sainsburys.

I followed the instructions correctly, applied the product and brushed it through with a comb to get even coverage and then wrapped my hair up in cling film followed by hats and hoods to keep my head super warm. When I then washed the product out I could see that my hair was a brassy brown colour and I was amazed! Once my hair was dry it was all this brassy brown colour, which isn't my natural colour, but I loved it I couldn't believe that this product had worked and that all my black had disappeared and I was so pleased with how even the colour was on my hair. I have never bleached my hair and didn't want to damage it hence why I use this product as it contains no bleach or ammonia, it also hasn't left my hair looking dry it feels just like it did before I used the product.

It's been two weeks since I used it and the brassyness has faded so I'm left with a warm brown colour which I'm so pleased with, I would recommend it to anyone!

on 7/2/2013 5:42:00 PM

I have natural blonde hair but have been dying my hair black for around 3 years now, really wanted to go a nice brown colour for the summer!, heard about the mixed reviews for this product and thought I might aswel give it ago. What a mistake that was! my roots turned white, the bottom turned brown and everywhere else stayed black. Wasn't expecting a miricle but still abit dissapointed. I used the Colour B4 extra strength but looks like it couldn't defeat the 3 year build up, damn.

on 6/20/2013 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like to flip between light and dark shades quite often and i have used this product about three times now all with great results.

Now, it does taken ages to do the whole process but i feel it is worth it - the before and after shades are always several shades different.

I find it does dry my hair out so i use a deep conditioner after and it does leave my hair kinda brassy too - but since it is possible to dye your hair straight away after using this product thats ok too.

It is much cheaper than going to the salon and i will continue to use it when i want to go blonde again.

on 1/27/2013 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I've used this twice now, mostly to remove color build up to get back to a lighter, more receptive base. Both times, I've had layers of ashy brown, intense copper, and chocolate dyes due to my natural indecisiveness about my hair color. Colour B4 really does what it promises. Yes, your hair will most likely be reddish (as even dark dyes have "secret" lightening agents in them--that's why even neutral dyes go brassy without being touched up), and yes, this smells pretty horrible. If you're going to be turned off by the way a product like this smells, though, you must not need it very badly. This really is only for emergencies in my opinion, because it leaves the hair pretty dry... Deep conditioning afterward is a must.

on 11/17/2012 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Oh my goodness. This product makes me less scared to ever try a permanent hair colour again: because IT WORKS!

I decided that it would be a good idea to put a permanent brown dye over my naturally blonde hair as I was getting quite bored of it and fancied a change. It looked lovely at first but then it faded very quickly as my hair does not hold dye well...
Faced with the prospect of having to keep redying every 2-3 weeksand consequently wrecking my hair, I decided to remove it and appreciate what mother nature has given me ;)

Cost me 9.99 from boots. I got the regular strength version as I had only put one box of dye on virgin hair and it was already very faded but I would recommend that if you have dyed your hair more than once, you would need the extra strength version.

Detailed and easy to follow. I thought that the fact it told you to read it twice was good as there were quite a few steps to take in.

Quite messy application. And it does smell pretty badly of eggs. The liquid was quite runny and it was hard to put enough on my head with the nozzle. In the end I just poured it into my hand and rubbed it on my head which seemed to work fairly well! It did have a tendency to drip everywhere though just a warning...
30 minutes to be left which was fine. I wrapped my hair in a carrier bag and warmed it with a hairdryer for a little bit to make sure it worked to its full potential.

Now you do have to stand under the shower for a long time, 10 minutes + in total. The box said that this step is very important so I made sure to do it for as long as I could stand it. It made my hair feel sort of...gluey. And I got bored. But there are worse things in life!

Once I had finished all of the stages I was a little concerned because it looked quite reddish wet...However, I dried it and VOILA. My hair was so close to my natural colour it was uncanny! Not perfect, but certainly a very very good match.

This product is not cheap, and it smells, and is not the easiest to apply. However, the reason I have given it a 5 star rating is because it does exactly what it says on the tin: and on top of that has left my hair looking shiny and feeling very soft. So honestly; I know other people have had different experiences, but if you are very sick of your colour and don't know what to do about it, I would recommend this product thoroughly :)

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Colour B4 - Demo, Results & Review! | MyMakeupPerspective by MyMakeupPerspective