Aveda Black Malva Conditioner

4.1

on 7/27/2015 9:52:00 AM

I second everything Coralb said. Great at enhancing color, worthless as a conditioner. Always followup with a regular conditioner. Use and consider this more as a color enhancing treatment and you won't be disappointed. Don't even consider this a conditioner. I actually debated about keeping it or not since I don't use it all the time. But once every week or two I will clarify, use this and follow up with a good conditioner. It helped fix the brassiness in my 3n hair that occurred from using a regular shampoo.

on 4/4/2015 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I don't dye my hair and bought this to enhance my naturally dark hair as it was dull and looked brassy from excessive sun exposure and dryness. It really did darken my hair and the color was natural not like black hair dye which can look like shoe polish. The only downside is that it really didn't condition my hair at all. It was a tangly mess after I used it. Great for enhancing natually dark hair, but not so great for conditioning

on 10/11/2014 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've just started to try this product. I've been frustrated that the ash-tone, medium brown hair dye I use turns more of a lighter orange-brown over time. I thought I needed to try a different hair dye at double the price. However, after a friend turned me onto the Aveda Black Malva conditioner and I gave it a go, I'm pleased with the initial results. I imagine, at least, that I can see the orange diminished. So far so good!

Update: The product does well with color correcting but next to nothing for actual moisturizing. I have to use a separate, leave-in conditioner. I'm willing to put up with the product's dryness to get the color correction, but it is a bit of a demerit.

on 10/10/2014 12:33:00 AM

I've used this for many different reasons over the years and it always comes through for me. Bought several bottles in my life. To me the only downfall is the $ tag. I used to use it when I'd dye over highlights to get my dark brown back; the dye would inevitably fade and this would freshen it up. Most recently I've used it as kind of a indigo alternative to tone down the red of henna. Smells divine and I think its conditioning properties are just fine, and my hair is currently damaged under the henna.

PS - I always leave this on more like 15 min, up to 30, dry hair yields more intense results, and use it less often. If I am just using in shower it takes a while to build up. I love how it stands upside down for maximum ease of using product!

on 8/26/2014 6:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I think this stuff actually does what it claims to do. I've got very dark, brown-black hair and I hate red tones. I usually color at home (because of lack of time and money), and I get a lot of gray roots, so end up using one of those root touch-up colors as well. And the Black Malva conditioner has cut down on the red tones that usually crop up after a few weeks of coloring, generally given my hair a richer appearance, and maybe even made the (just coming in) roots a bit less noticeable.

Any splatters do need to be wiped off the tiles fairly quickly, but I haven't noticed any staining on my towels. I'm happy with this stuff.

on 7/29/2014 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I wish I had found this product sooner! For several months I dyed my hair with henna, which no matter what you have been told is completely permanent. No amount of fading, oil treatments, or even an attempt at covering with my mom's heavy duty dye for "stubborn grays" could get it any tamer than fire red. This conditioner is perfect for blending my dark strawberry blondish roots with my fiery-red lengths, toning my entire head to a rich ambery brown. Before the conditioner I tried to dye over with dark blonde dye, resulting in horrible splotchiness; now the dye has washed out and the conditioner is doing all the work. The sections most saturated with henna are still quite auburn in the sun, but these are the best results I could dare hope for. Pleasant fragrance and leaves hair feeling similar to how a henna treatment would: smooth with glassy shine. If I miss this for even one wash the red leaps back out, and my hair is thick so I am at risk of using this costly conditioner up quickly. I have posted a picture of the streaky mess before and the shiny locks after.

I am a loyal user of the Black malva shampoo and conditioner. Working for Aveda, we get to try all the products, and this is by far one of their best! The scent is amazing! It is not like other Aveda products, it does not have the plant based aroma. It is a cherry almond scent that is so delicious you will want to eat it! (Don't do that haha) But the shampoo lathers great, a little goes a long way as many other Aveda products do. The shampoo does not actually deposit the color, it is the conditioner. The shampoo simply sets the correct base for the conditioner to be applied to the hair, not color the hair itself. You must use this with the Black Malva Conditioner to see immediate results. The only 2 downfalls of this product is the color it stains your hands and shower, and the dryness it can cause on hair. Be careful with this product because it will cause your hands and shower to turn grey if used often! This shampoo also dries the hair out because of the cleansing properties. Use this every so often, not everyday!

on 1/31/2014 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm glad many of my fellow reviewers found this product worked well for them, but it did absolutely nothing for me.

I'm east asian, with waist-length, very typical "black" hair, but due to using an apple cider vinegar rinse, my hair got a bit lighter and developed reddish tones. I bought this after reading excellent reviews for this conditioner (not including the shampoo), not only from MUA, but also from nordstrom, amazon, and Aveda's own website.

I applied copious amounts of it to my hair after shampooing normally, did the rest of my evening stuff, and then went to bed once my hair was dry - so I had this in my hair for a good 12 hours before I washed it out. There was no change whatsoever in the morning. One particular lock of hair was more reddish than the others, and its color stood out just as much as before.

I hoped that it would be a good conditioner on its own if the color-depositing aspect of it didn't work out, but even that was a disappointment. It is not, by any means, a bad conditioner - just nothing special. I have multiple conditioners that I think work better, at least on my hair. I'm also not fond of the scent, but I've never been a fan of herbal scents.

Not to mention the price is absurd for the amount of that little tube. I'm almost glad it didn't work, because there's no way I could afford keeping up my use of it without chopping my hair short.

on 1/21/2014 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Incredible. I can't believe I didn't discover this earlier. My hair is naturally mid brown with no warmth. Hair history is that I had blonde highlights for a while then dyed it all dark with a flat colour. I was doing that for a couple of years and 1 year ago decided to stop dying it as I was just trying to get it back to my normal colour anyway when I was dying it. My hair faded out to ginger where the blonde was still underneath. I have about 4 or 5 inches of regrowth now and the ends still have a red tinge. Then I discovered this magical, what I would call, hair stain. It totally takes out the red tinge and adds cool tones. It's blended my regrowth in better and I am thrilled. I don't think I will ever dye my hair again now I have this. Be warned though it does stain. I put it on with gloves and immediately clean anywhere it has touched in the bathroom. I have to do it every 3 or 4 days to keep the tone right as it does gradually wash out. Go buy it!!!!

on 11/2/2013 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Ultimately, I think it does work, although the change is subtle. It makes hair darker and ashier, but I didn't really find that it reduces brassiness.

The colour will wash off of my hands, but it literally dyes my nails and shower curtain.

The smell is lovely. Not sure I'll buy Black Malva again when I run out, but maybe a different Aveda line.

Top Rated Aveda Products