April 23, 2014 | 1118 users online

Conditioner - Aveda - Black Malva Conditioner

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by SarahCosProf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a loyal user of the Black malva shampoo and conditioner. Working for Aveda, we get to try all the products, and this is by far one of their best! The scent is amazing! It is not like other Aveda products, it does not have the plant based aroma. It is a cherry almond scent that is so delicious you will want to eat it! (Don't do that haha) But the shampoo lathers great, a little goes a long way as many other Aveda products do. The shampoo does not actually deposit the color, it is the conditioner. The shampoo simply sets the correct base for the conditioner to be applied to the hair, not color the hair itself. You must use this with the Black Malva Conditioner to see immediate results. The only 2 downfalls of this product is the color it stains your hands and shower, and the dryness it can cause on hair. Be careful with this product because it will cause your hands and shower to turn grey if used often! This shampoo also dries the hair out because of the cleansing properties. Use this every so often, not everyday!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by joyonicity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I'm glad many of my lovely fellow reviewers found this product worked well for them, but it did absolutely nothing for me.

I'm east asian, with waist-length, very typical "black" hair, but due to using an apple cider vinegar rinse, my hair got a bit lighter and developed reddish tones. I bought this after reading excellent reviews for this conditioner (not including the shampoo), not only from MUA, but also from nordstrom, amazon, and Aveda's own website.

I applied copious amounts of it to my hair after shampooing normally, did the rest of my evening stuff, and then went to bed once my hair was dry - so I had this in my hair for a good 12 hours before I washed it out. There was no change whatsoever in the morning. One particular lock of hair was more reddish than the others, and its color stood out just as much as before.

I hoped that it would be a good conditioner on its own if the color-depositing aspect of it didn't work out, but even that was a disappointment. It is not, by any means, a bad conditioner - just nothing special. I have multiple conditioners that I think work better, at least on my hair.

Not to mention the price is absurd for the amount of that little tube. I'm almost glad it didn't work, because there's no way I could afford keeping up my use of it without chopping my hair short.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by angel290385

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Incredible. I can't believe I didn't discover this earlier. My hair is naturally mid brown with no warmth. Hair history is that I had blonde highlights for a while then dyed it all dark with a flat colour. I was doing that for a couple of years and 1 year ago decided to stop dying it as I was just trying to get it back to my normal colour anyway when I was dying it. My hair faded out to ginger where the blonde was still underneath. I have about 4 or 5 inches of regrowth now and the ends still have a red tinge. Then I discovered this magical, what I would call, hair stain. It totally takes out the red tinge and adds cool tones. It's blended my regrowth in better and I am thrilled. I don't think I will ever dye my hair again now I have this. Be warned though it does stain. I put it on with gloves and immediately clean anywhere it has touched in the bathroom. I have to do it every 3 or 4 days to keep the tone right as it does gradually wash out. Go buy it!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/2/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by lionz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Ultimately, I think it does work, although the change is subtle. It makes hair darker and ashier, but I didn't really find that it reduces brassiness.

The colour will wash off of my hands, but it literally dyes my nails and shower curtain.

The smell is lovely. Not sure I'll buy Black Malva again when I run out, but maybe a different Aveda line.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 10:47:00 AM More reviews by arynn13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have naturally light brown hair with quite a bit of red in it. This conditioner transformed it into a deep, dark chocolate shade! Reduced the brassiness a huge amount! Because of it, there is no need to dye my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by Sheraldeen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Although this product is expensive it actually works, so is totally worth it. My hair is nearly all grey which i dye back to my natural dark brown colour. Before I used this conditioner I found that after I had washed my hair a few times reddish and orangey tones appeared in my hair - yuk! However when I use black malva conditioner (and shampoo) my colour stays true. A great product if you want to eliminate orange tones from your hair and maintain dark ash brown shades.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 2:07:00 PM More reviews by awong1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!!
This conditioner saved my hair! After a hairdying mishap, in which I colored and bleached my hair 3 times in one week, my hair was a mess. It was a horrible orange color, and was so damaged from overdying, I thought I would be left with bad hair days for months. Then I read reviews for Black Malva (which I combined with Clove conditioner), which I tried on my hair to return it to a beautiful brunette color! Amazing!! I will use this until I am able to dye my hair in a few months. This is a miracle. I left the first application on for 20 mins. It can be a bit drying, but I mix with Pureology conditioner to help soften my hair. thanks aveda!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2012 2:43:00 PM More reviews by breakfastattiffanys11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My natural hair color is a medium brown that would get highlights from the sun in the summer. I started to get highlights at the salon and I kept getting them until eventually my hair was totally blonde. I was blonde for about 8 years and just this year I dyed my hair a rich choclately brown at the salon. Since my hair was so poreous, color would not last on me, it would go back to blonde or a mousy brown so quickly. I was killing my hair dying it every month.

While this is pricy, it is 100 percent worth it. I've had this for four months and I have not dyed my hair in those four months. My color is a cool dark chocolate color. This does have a lot of color payoff, and you notice it with the first use. When I first got this I would use it every day or sometimes everyday. The longer you leave it on the darker. Now I use this about once a week and my color is maintained.

The scent is a herbaly scent and this will definitley dye your hands and nails, sometimes I use gloves to apply it! This takes out any red or brassy tones that are common in bruenettes, especially color treated brunettes. My hair feels silky when I use this and it looks beautiful and dark. This has totally saved my hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by misterhankey

I didn't really believe the hype, but this has worked for me, although I can;t quite pinpoint how. I have quite a bit of grey in light brown (hairdressers call it dark blond) hair which shows particularly in the fringe. I used to have a half head of highlights but I've been growing them out as they make my hair horrible. I also really don't want to dye my hair anymore and prefer natural products - but I'm not fooled by rubbish and most companies that claim they're all wonderful do seem to have some rather suspect ingredients. Anyway, that's another story.... I was a bit concerned about trying this as I still have some blond highlights and my hair is lighter than the recommended shade, so I did a strand test to make sure my hair wouldn't turn green. It didn't but I couldn't see much impact on the strand. I mopped up the excess water out of my hair after shampooing and rinsing with Kerastase Satin Bath 2, and applied quite a bit and combed it through while still in the shower. I cleaned my hands off (they look pretty black at first but it comes off ok with a loofah) and clipped my hair up and got out of the shower as I wanted to leave it on for 15 minutes. Because I did it this way, I didn't get a mess in my shower at all. While wet, I could still see the greys and thought it hadn't done anything, but once dry it did look better. I found the conditioning effect OK. Since then I've applied it twice a week for about 20 mins each time, and while you can still see my grey, it is blended in more, and the blonde highlights have got a bit darker, making for a more coherent hair colour. So, to sum up - nothing drastic, quite a bit of work, but worth it to me. I think I'll continue applying it and down my highlights out. I really want to return to my natural hair as it feels better, and I'm enjoying not being plagued by split ends anymore.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I was overall very disappointed with this product. It left my hair looking dull, flat, and muddy. It seemed to take away all shine and leave behind patchy, flat, darker color. I did try this a few times, a few different ways- tried diluting it with regular conditioner, leaving it on longer, shorter, etc. It never produced very satisfactory results for me. And for the price, I was expecting more. John Freida's color glaze conditioner works better. Actually, for best results (that are much cheaper) you are better off making a homemade toning conditioner- that will actually produce visible results with shine.