October 30, 2014 | 1661 users online

Palettes - Smashbox - Eye Wish 2010 palette

rated 3.0(1 review)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2011 4:28:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was desperate for a EYE WISH 2010 palette and had been eyeing it up on the Sephora website for months, but after getting one on a NYC mini-break last December and playing around with it for seven months I have to admit to being disappointed by it overall - It does have good points to it, but for the price I just can't overlook the not-so-good ones.

The palette contains twelve powder eyeshadows, four cream eyeliners, six double sided how-to look sheets, a mini Lash DNA mascara and a mini tube of eye primer.

The biggest letdowns are with the matt eye shadows [3, 10, 11 and 12]; they're chalky, hard to apply and blend and don't wear well. Unfortunately the matt shades are the colours which I would have worn most often [especially the bone coloured one - that woould be a go-to shade for me], so I don't use this palette as much as I would have done otherwise.

The cream liners [bottom row]; two of them are actually good [the black and grey] , but the other two [bronze/brown and purple] are "meh" and don't apply as well, so I have to keep going over my line to fill in the gaps, which often results in a thicker line then I wanted. The purple liner looks the most appealing, so I'm disappointed that it is a pain to apply.

But it's not all bad; there are more shimmery eyeshadows in the palette than matt ones and they are much easier to apply and blend, plus they wear well. Not as well as, say, Urban Decay, but they'll last through a working day. The aqua shade with the golden gleam [7] is in particular is a really pretty colour - it's just a shame that I don't have occasion to wear it more often.

Whilst the other two cream liner shades [black and grey] aren't anything exciting, they do have a great formula, You want thick lines? Done. Thin lines? There you go. Rim your eye's waterline? Tah-da. I've had no problems with smudging or flaking.

My favourite thing about this palette is the Lash DNA mascara. I know it's not very popular on MUA, but it works well for me. It gives me noticeably longer, beautifully separated, evenly coated, non-clumpy lashes. Because of the perfect separation my eyes look much more alert. Plus, it holds my curl all day. I prefer to use two coats, as it slightly improves my volume (It doesn't claim to give volume, so I can't complain that the increase is only slight). I also love the double-helix shaped brush. The shape of it separates, fans and curls lashes, right from the roots to the tips, so my eyes really pop.

There are also a few things that aren't great, but aren't terrible; number one is the primer. I like that it has a bit of colour to it to neutralise any discoloration, but it doesn't perform as well as Urban Decay or TooFaced primers do - it'll more or less see me through a work day, but sometimes there has been a bit of creasing. Also the tube dries out quickly.

The actual palette; it's pretty [sparkling and gold], cushioned and sturdy, but the shadow and liner pans don't all fit securely. It looks like a few are going to escape any day now.

Finally; the how-to guides. They're easy to follow, but there is nothing that I haven't seen and worn before. The guides are a bonus and not a selling point, but they could have been more creative for the festive season.