October 24, 2014 | 1757 users online

Shampoo - Denorex Extra Strength 2-in-1

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2014 1:16:00 PM More reviews by rs02

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Smells & looks horrible,but works great for my dandruff.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2014 5:55:00 AM More reviews by blondiegoodlooks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's not a bad product, but I wouldn't buy it again.

I bought it because an MUA-er seemed to love this and also because it was 3% SA. I would say it was mildly effective on my dandruff/SD scalp, but because it doesn't exactly leave your hair feeling/looking great and it smells like pet shampoo, I will try other products before coming back to this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 2:20:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I buy this for my hubby, but I occasionally use it as well. It doesn't have the best smell- reminds me of old tires and gasoline which some may find cloying and strong. It gives an intense cooling, but invigorating sensation on the scalp due to the menthol and can be quite drying if used alone despite the fact that it is a 2-in-1. I usually follow with any of my favorite conditioners and my hair comes out looking soft and clean with no residue. I use this mainly to get rid of any build-up on my scalp (I use a lot of styling products) and the rare itchiness I may get from using a product with PVP high in the ingredient list, which I try to avoid. My hubby doesn't mind the smell and it helps with mild flakes and itchiness for his scalp since Head and Shoulders stopped working for him. The one thing that impresses me the most is how controlled my hair looks after using this. The dandruff shampoos I have used in the past left my hair flyaway or dry feeling. This one doesn't. I like that I can feel it working and it gets the job done. I wouldn't use this everyday, but for every now and then it is perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by sgrplmfairy333

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i no longer have to use this product since it cured my sebhorric dermatitis that i suffered from for years as a child. i tried head and shoulders, nizoral, etc. warning the rest of this review is def. TMI (!) my scalp was so bad i could comb out small sheets of dead skin from my scalp. i even had small bald patches that was fortunately hidden by the rest of my hair. it was a really embarrassing problem to have. fortunately, a friend of my mother's told her about this product. i guess her son had a similar issue and this product worked. i am so thankful for this shampoo. if my scalp ever gets dry during the winter months, i still keep a bottle of this stuff around to stop the flakies in their tracks. i have only ever had mild dandruff on occassion since using this shampoo years ago. this product will definitely tangle the hair and i always use a deep moisturizer after using this shampoo.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2013 11:06:00 AM More reviews by sekhmet

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just have to say I'm not feeling the love here! I mainly use the store brand Head and Shoulders type shampoo and switch it out occasionally with T-Gel. I was at the store and they had a trial pack of the various formulas of Denorex on clearance for super cheap. I thought it would give me more options with the switching out and the small bottles would be handy for travel. What I wasn't expecting was MENTHOL OVERLOAD! I'm used to products containing a little menthol in them for a refreshing tingle, but there is so much menthol in this that the fumes from the shampoo sting my eyes while I'm using it. Denorex does make my scalp feel clean and healthy, but it doesn't condition my hair (even the shampoo + conditioner version). So I will be using up my small bottles, but I will not be repurchasing this brand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Asianbarbiee91

The reviewer below me did an excellent review so I won't go into repeated details but I'll just highlight the things I love about this particular shampoo. I have pretty fine hair that's been through a lot of chemicals over the past years (perms, magic straight, highlights, at-home dyes, etc). I've done some decent amount of trimming but my ends are still dried with visible split ends (I hate having short hair so I refused to cut off all my dead ends). Anyway, my hair tends to feel worse during the winter and feels very dry. I also experience some flakes from dry scalp which is very unpleasant/embarrassing. I asked on the hairboard what I can do to remedy this problem and they recommended Denorex. I went to Wal-Mart and easily found it on the shelf next to head&shoulders and selsun blue (move over, denorex is so much better!) I have tried both h&s and s.blue and ended up disappointed. Today is only my second day of using denorex 2-1 extra strength anf I absolutely love it!!! (The cool things about this shampoo is that it is silicone and sulfate FREE! + there's a built in conditioner hence the name but I still use a separate conditioner after) There is no more static in my hair, my hair is not tangly, nor does it flake or dry!! This is a miracle product. After using this shampoo, I use my tresseme naturals volume conditioner and my hair is shiny, feels healthy, and slippery (in a good way). I purchased a decent sized bottle for 7 dollars at Wal-Mart. I will buy again and again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2011 2:42:00 PM More reviews by MissJulie89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Like the reviewer below me, I bought this after hearing alot of praise from JCuevas04. I have thick, curly, dry hair as well that can suffer from scalp "suffication" due the sheer volume of it which can aid in buildup. I don't really have dandruff, but salicylic acid can help with scalp health, so I figured I'd try this SA-based shampoo.
Price: Kinda pricey- between $8-$10 depending on the retailer. Alot of medicated shampoos can be on the more expensive side, but nontheless I was taken aback by the price. Let me tell you, though, SO WORTH IT. Also, this particular brand can be a bit difficult to find, but I know that CVS, KMart and Wal Mart definitely sell it.
Packaging: Plain, to the point, and relatively masculine. Maybe more unisex. I think this brand is more or less marketed towards men, as Jimmy Johnson is its spokesperson and it seems to be a choice product for men with problem scalps. Needless to say, I couldn't care less, and wouldn't want a healthier scalp?
Consistency: ...Scary. Just... intimidating. It's brown and a little bit sticky. Not super thick or sticky, but still. It's not attractive. However, none of that matters. At all. It's so beautiful.
Scent: Like the consistency, kind of scary. It smells pretty medicinal with a hint of menthol. So... minty medicine. It doesn't smell very good. It's not sickening or headache-inducing, but it's not pretty and perfumey. It doesn't linger at all, though, which is good, but even if it did, I think I'd still use it. That's how much I adore this shampoo.
Ingredients: I uploaded a picture of the ingredients list. Aside from the 3% SA, the rest is pretty much gentle cleansers (This poo is sulfate-free! Woohoo!), some dimethicone, and vitamins. Oh, and menthol for that awesome tingly feeling. really nice ingredients list.
Performance: This. Shampoo. Is. The. Best. It lathers up like crazy, cleanses without stripping- AT ALL- smoothes, moisturizes (without over-moisturizing or over-softening), and soothes the scalp. I mainly focus on my scalp when I wash with this. I massage with my fingertips and let it soak in for a few minutes so the SA and menthol can pamper the bejeezus out of my scalp. I lightly massage the rest of my hair with the lather, and after rinsing, my hair feels clean without feeling stripped. Even though this is a 2-in-1, I still use a light conditioner (I love Trader Joe's Tea Tree condish for the extra tingly boost) for detangling and moisturizing properties since my hair needs it. When my hair air-dries, it is left incredibly supple, smooth, shiny, thick, defined, and virtually frizz-free. I still use a detangler and serum, but I've never achieved hair this healthy with any other shampoo before. I can't get over it. I can seriously tell the difference. I can't stop touching my hair!
Overall: I can't wait to see long-term results with this shampoo. If I use it once or twice a week (I don't want to overdo it), I can see nothing but incredibly healthy hair in the near future. Despite its branded masculinity, odd consistency and intimidating scent, this shampoo is absolutely LUXURIOUS. I can walk into a salon or drugstore and see high-end, super expensive brands and giggle knowing my little secret.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by savliving

I tried this because of seeing J's review and board posts. I love this stuff so much. I have only used it for 3 weeks but will update if there are any changes. In the nasty south Georgia humidity this shampoo is a life saver. The cooling menthol is awesome for such hot days and just in general. I also love the no sulfates or proteins. Even though this is 2 in 1, I still use a conditioner. The 3% BHA is also great for my flaky and itchy scalp. I also can go 2-3 days without needing to shampoo even after working out in the terrible heat daily. So far I love this stuff. Update 10/2/11 I still use this almost every shampoo. I have to break it up because my hair will get weighed down. The peg-dimethicone in here really weighs my super fine hair down. So I can only use this shampoo now maybe once, twice a week at most. 1/01/13 I no longer use this shampoo on my hair because it weighed my hair down so much but I love using this to wash and shave my armpits. I have really sensitive skin in that region and the menthol is cooling, the BHA helps to exfoliate, so no harm done and I can get rid of the product!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2011 9:01:00 PM More reviews by JCuevas04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my new favorite regular shampoo. It's meant for "moderate" scalp issues like dandruff, itch, etc. It has 3% Salicylic Acid and Menthol which gives the scalp a cooling, tingly sensation which also helps with itch. I took off one lippie due to scent. This has a very strong medicinal scent but the good thing is it doesn't linger. Its a 2-in-1 (shampoo + conditioner) so it doesn't dry my hair out and actually gives decent slip. I have curly hair so its easy for shampoo's to knot up and tangle it but this does not. I can literally comb my fingers through my hair while rinsing this out. Also, its Sulfate-Free and Silicone-Free...yea got your attention now huh ;) lol. So its safe on gentle for me to use on a regular basis when I wash my hair (every other day to every 2 days) and not mess with my color. You get a huge bottle for a little under $10 depending on where you buy. You can get this at mostly any d/s, Walmart, etc. I posted ingredients above.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No