July 29, 2014 | 2064 users online

Eye Shadow - Make Up For Ever - Aqua Cream No. 18 - Lilac

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2012 6:02:00 PM More reviews by hisquiggle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

This cream shadow looked so pretty on my hand when I swatched it in stores, but on my eyes it's a totally different story. It's not very pigmented, applies patchily, and clumps up on the eyelid even with one thin layer. I've tried applying it with multiple different brushes and my fingers and putting it over different bases and primers, but nothing seems to make this shadow work. The worst thing about it is that it makes my eyelids look flaky because of the way the pigment clumps together. In fact, the texture is so dry that it gave my monolid eyes a crease, which is unheard of. I have another Aqua Cream in #23 (lime green), and that one is super pigmented, creamy, and a dream to work with. I don't know if it's this particular shade having a bad formula or if I got a bad pot. I can't even use it as an eyeshadow base because it looks so flaky and dry and makes anything I put on top of it look disgusting too. The only thing it has going for it is the great staying power, but it looks so bad that I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe if you have oily eyelids this might work for you.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2011 10:52:00 PM More reviews by citygirl123

I purchased the aqua cream in No. 18 (lilac) after seeing Lisa Eldridge use it in one of her videos called "pick me up makeup (all about reviving your look after a late night out). I have green eyes, and loved the color in the store. When I got it home to try out, it made my green eyes pop like no one's business. All I needed was this on my lids, some black eyeliner, and I was out the door.

BUT, because I'm trying really hard to use products without so many chemicals and preservatives in them, I decided to look up this product on the Skin Deep database, which scores products on their toxicity levels based on the ingredients. I was so sad to see that on a scale of 1-10, this product was an 8, which is the highest score any make-up product I've looked up has received. It contains aluminum powder, which has been linked to cancer (yes, yes, I know - almost everything is linked to cancer these days, but the buzz word with cosmetics right now is parabens, and aluminum powder is higher on the toxicity scale than all parabens). The FDA only approved it for eye application, but not for lips, which obviously says something about its danger levels. Not that using this product will give you cancer or anything, but for me personally, I'd rather not take the risk.

REALLY disappointed because I loved this product. But I had to return it. I also purchased No. 9 (coral) at the same time, which is an eye and lip color, but I returned that one as well just to be safe. I didn't look at the ingredient list but I'm assuming it didn't have aluminum powder because it was approved for lips. You'll notice, though, that these aqua creams say what they're approved for, so use your best judgment.

Sorry to be all preachy, but it just frustrates me how much cosmetic companies are allowed to get away with as far as product ingredients.

Okay, end rant. :)