October 22, 2014 | 1973 users online

Hair - Mixed Silk by Silk Elements [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 3:18:00 AM More reviews by tbabi

So I began using these products because I heard it was a dupe for Mixed Chicks line at a cheaper cost and more easily available. When I bought it I ended up liking it more than the Mixed Chicks. Mixed Silk products are similar to Mixed Chicks but yet different because the Mixed Chicks conditioner is more moisturizing and has more slip for detangling but Mixed Silks leave-in conditioner was more runny. I like them both but I found I ran through the Mixed Silk faster than the Mixed Chicks because Mixed Chicks only requires a quarter size amount. I wish that the Mixed Silk conditioner came in the same size as the shampoo but they put it in a little jar you have to scoop out of which is cool too but I wish it were bigger because my hair loves/craves conditioner.

Anyways, I am saddened that Mixed Silk is no longer available. I loved that it was available at Sally's because in Canada there really seems to be no places to go to buy products for curly girls besides going to Toronto and there's no way I can go back and forth like that. I want to try Shea Moisture products or curls but they are unavailable in Canada's Sally Beauty Supply store. Now I have to be on the hunt for other products to replace Mixed Silk or buy online which will cost me more for shipping. Anyways, I will miss Mixed Silk lol

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 3:37:00 PM More reviews by MissRubyJones

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I hesitate to ever call a hair product a "holy grail" product, but if there is indeed such a thing for my hair, Silk Elements Mixed Silk Leave-in Conditioning Creme would be it. This was recommended to me for my medium-long, naturally wavy-curly hair by a Sally Beauty Supply employee, and since it was on sale, I took the chance. I am SO glad I did.

This product has replaced both the Infusium 23 leave-in and the Fructis anti-frizz cream I was using on my hair.

When applied straight out of the shower, Silk Elements Mixed Silk Leave-in Conditioning Creme detangles and softly defines my curls, leaving them shiny and silky without weighing them down. While some complain about the pump, it doesn't bother me - if anything, I think it probably prevents me from applying too much product to my hair. And, unlike the Fructis product (see my reviews for the exact name, can't recall it), this does not build up on my hair, or leave it dull. I can even use it on second-day hair, over hairspray, to tame little wild frizzy spots that pop up without it leaving my hair matted, dull or sticky (I'm talking to you, Fructis). I also like the scent.

The best thing about this product, though, is the fact that it cuts my styling time down dramatically. My hair has a spongy texture that makes it hold on to water, taking forever to dry. Usually, adding styling products to my hair when it's any less than 50% or so dry will make it take a lot longer to blow-dry. Not this product. I can apply it to towel-dried hair, and usually, within 15-20 minutes, it's about 60% dry, my curls are already defined, and it takes me less than 10 minutes to diffuse my hair dry. Which makes this product a MIRACLE for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2011 2:01:00 AM More reviews by moonflowers11

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, I LOVE this product. I have very long, thick, curly hair that I have a horrible time trying to comb out. This product made that possible without ripping my hair out. I wish could have found this in the past, it would have saved me tones of money and frustration. I only gave the bottle a 3 on package quality because of the pump bottle. I actually like the pump but wish that the bottle would release more with every pump. I know this sounds petty but any of you that have a lot of hair knows, its hard work getting all that product into your hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2011 1:05:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall this is a good deep conditioner. I have heard of the Mixed Chicks brand before but was not willing to spend the money on it; so this is a great alternative. The container is 12oz ($7.99) and with the sale that was going on at Sally Beauty Supply, I received the leave-in for free!

I saturated my 4a/b hair with the conditioner and steamed my hair for 20 minutes and it detangled easily and was well moisturized. The only issues I have with this product is that I had to use a considerable amount to coat my hair in it (probably 3-4 oz) which leaves me with only 3 or 4 DCs to go (I deep condition once a week). It is not horrible but I also LOVE Joico conditioning balm in the 8 oz and at $15 per bottle I can dc my hair at least 10 times...so I guess time will tell. I really do not like going to pick up hair products once a month.

My other complaint is the smell! When you get the first whiff it is not horrible but as I was applying it to my hair, it had a chemical smell to it...something to know but not surprising giving the ingredients that are used."

I like the fact that it is in a jar so that I can get every last bit of the product out. But I'm unsure if I will purchase again.