January 28, 2015 | 1960 users online

Shampoo - Alaffia - Neem & Shea Scalp Recovery Shampoo

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2015 7:21:00 PM More reviews by mariibunny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product because I agree with the ethical values of this company and I like the effort they are putting into using fair trade ingredients and supporting those less fortunate than us.
Unfortunately, this product did not cut it for me! This shampoo really stripped off what felt like ALL of the natural oils from my hair. Now, I know the purpose of shampooing is to remove some of that built-up oil because of the greasy feeling it leaves on your hair and also because of the dirt that built up in that oil... but, this product removed way too much oil. My scalp and hair felt squeakily dry.

Now, my hair is very dry and VERY frizzy. As in, I always need a leave-in conditioner otherwise my hair will feel and look like a stack of hay. A very drying shampoo + my very dry hair = a disaster. I ended up having to use MORE conditioner and MORE leave-in conditioner after shampooing to make up for the stripped, dry hair I was left with. Unfortunately, the conditioner I bought at the time to use with this was the John Masters Organics citrus & neroli detangler conditioner; a conditioner that is light-weight but, not moisturizing enough for my super thick, dried out hair.

Anyways, I think the only good use of this product is if I'm doing an oil hair mask with coconut oil or olive oil and I want to wash off all the oil without having to use a conventionial shampoo that has sulfates in it. Of course, as usual, I needed to shampoo atleast three times to get everything out (nothing worse than drying your hair after an oil mask and realizing some strands are still greasy). Another plus is that the smell is fresh and clean, probably due to the neem.

But, overall, it was way too drying for me to repurchase. The only reason I would repurchase would be if I needed a shampoo that could wash off everything from an oil hair mask and I didn't want to use a conventional shampoo or my regular organic shampoo (which is already expensive as it is and I'm on a student budget). But, I don't know if I will buy different shampoos for different purposes.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2011 8:56:00 PM More reviews by xDOLLFACEx

Pretty good shampoo, does a good cleansing job. It can feel a bit drying after you rinse but i think its just from the black soap, kinda like how castile soap is. Is its not like a true dry feel just kinda like a weird feel. But its not bad and the conditioner after takes care of that. But overall its good. has good ingredients, smells good and is pretty lol. But you dont get a lot for the price.