Desert Essence Gentle Nourishing Organic Cleanser Dry & Sensitive Skin

3.9

Not tested on animals

Pyrus malus (apple) juice*, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil*, water (aqua), potassium hydroxide, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, sesamum indicum (sesame) seed oil*, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, citrus sinensis (sweet orange) oil*, guar gum*, aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract*, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract*, nasturtium officinale extract (watercress)*

on 2/20/2015 1:04:00 PM

There are several reasons why i bought it:
- scores a 0 on skin deep
- i loved the original tea tree one
- it's cheap and you need one pump to wash your face

My skin is sensitive (it reacts to anything...) but usually it's oily/combination. It's very cold here in Canada, and I've been using a lot of harsh products for more than a decade. My skin is very intolerant and i have no choice but to turn to natural solutions with no dyes, perfumes, alcohol and parabens. This an amazing cleanser: the texture is very creamy, the smell is pleasant, it rinses well and does not dry out the skin. It's very nice for dehydrated, sensitive skin.
I really like it!

The first natural cleanser I tried. More chemical-laden ones always seemed to work great and my normal skin never reacted. I just wanted to avoid the chemicals (namely the bad ones) so tried it and it stripped my skin to the point that it was unbearably tight, uncomfortable and dry as Hell. I used it a few more nights (glutton for punishment - no, just for accurate testing incase it was a one-off or my skin was the problem on that particular day) only to find the skin around my eyes red and burning badly. And the same ridiculous dryness and plastic-screetchy (is that a word?) feel to my face - like when washed with soap. Maybe the potassium hydroxide but I don't know - I only know I threw it down the sink! I tried to give it zero stars but don't think you can.

on 4/4/2014 4:12:00 PM

Love it. I've tried their original tea tree face wash and that pretty much burned a layer of my skin off. This is so so gentle and great for sensitive skin. Smells like oranges and it really cleans ALL of my makeup off, even heavy eye makeup. I feel like it has something to do with the citrus oil. It doesn't dry out my face either. The only con is the pump pumps out a lot of product, and a little of this goes a long way so take it easy on the pump. :)

on 3/29/2014 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

UPDATE: I am on my second bottle of this and I can confirm that it does nothing for acne. It is just a basic organic cleanser that can remove 70% of my makeup.

YOU NEED TO SHAKE IT!
Having acne prone skin, the first time I used this, this stripped all of my skin oils. So I thought "why is this targeted towards dry skin if it made my combo skin so tight and dry?" WELL GUESS WHAT LADIES AND GENTS, IT SEPARATED. Sitting on the Whole Foods shelf for so long, the product had separated. So I vigorously shook the living hell out of it and used it. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It cleaned my skin without making it dry whatsoever. Now after using for a month, I can't comment on its pimple-destroying qualities, but I will update.

TL;DR
Pros:
- Doesn't dry out skin if you shake the bottle every time before use
- Organic
- Doesn't break the bank (Got it for $10 because there was a sale, but it's usually around $13)
- Can be found at local Whole Foods
- Has a pump

Cons:
- Poop colored

on 11/19/2013 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'm surprised that this is called a cleanser for dry and sensitive skin because I found this to be really irritating. It cleans well but I really dislike it because of how unpleasant the burning and stinging sensation was. However, I absolutely love this as a brush cleaner. It really gets in and gets all the makeup out and rinses off easily and completely. Might even repurchase just to use as a brush cleaner.

on 5/21/2013 11:52:00 PM

Only contains one unnatural ingredient, which i believe is a preservative. Pretty remarkable! I stay as natural as possible for my sensitive skin, and often make my own products, but that gets time consuming and they often need refrigeration and dont last long. So finding a ready made product that actually is good to my skin is a great time saver. I have several friends who have oily skin and swear by Desert Essence's tea tree cleanser for oily/acne skin. This got me looking into the company and I found that they do in fact make this gentle wash for dry skin types. Unfortunately I cant find it in any local shops (that do sell the tea tree one) so i order it online or through my local health store. i guess its not as popular as the tea tree one but i hope they keep it around. It's not a cream formula (i dont like creamy washes as they tend to leave a film), but it's not a drying gel formula either. its just soft and gentle and smells like oranges. the pump is perfect for the shower (altho pumps dont travel well unless you keep the stopper) and the price isnt bad since a little goes a long way. I use this when i'm not using pure honey to wash with. The only reason I didnt give 5 stars is because while it doesnt dry the skin, I guess i wish it was a tad more moisturizing.

I have super sensitive skin with eczema on my eyelids and around my lips but at the same time I tend to get breakouts on my chin and blackheads on my nose so I was looking for a face wash that would help clear up my skin without causing any flare ups with my eczema. This face wash worked pretty good for me. I find it does tend to make my skin feel a bit tight after washing but haven't had any trouble with my sensitive skin. I haven't noticed a huge change in my breakouts or blackhead but I think these problems aren't usually down to my cleanser. I like the smell and the texture (it actually foams unlike some organic/natural cleansers). It's great value and lasts a long time. Overall I would definitely continue to repurchase this product unless I find something better.

on 7/30/2012 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I was using Clean & Clear's Morning Burst Skin Brightening Facial Cleanser. I loved the smell, it woke me up, and didn't irritate my sensitive skin. However, I soon learned it wasn't paraben-free. As such, I tried to find a more natural, chemical-free cleanser and Desert Essence has certainly delivered. It smells great, and my face feels incredibly clean and smooth after cleansing. It forms a nice lather and the pump is much appreciated. While it is twice as much as my previous cleansers, $14 here, it is well worth the price. I will be exploring the rest of the Desert Essence skin care line soon.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My normal to very sensitive skin does not seem to do well with Desert Essence's facial cleansers. It's too bad, really, because I like their facial scrub, moisturizers, and hair products. I tried the Thoroughly Clean one several months ago and wound up with very red, raw burns on my cheeks. It was just way too harsh, so I use much gentler stuff now.

I was in need of a new facial cleanser and the stores were no longer carrying Alba's Coconut Milk Facial Wash, so I decided to give this one a chance. I think there might be ingredients in DE's facial cleansers that upset my skin, because even though this one did not leave burns, it really, really stung my face and I only used the tiniest drop. Additionally, my skin felt very stripped afterward and applying moisturizer was a bit painful. I decided to return it and try something else.

I really liked the fruity smell and the fact that such a tiny bit goes a long way. It has a nice consistency that is not too thick or too runny and creates a nice lather.

PROS:
- Natural/organic ingredients
- Nice scent
- Makes a lovely fine lather (if lather is your thing)
- Nice packaging
- A little bit goes a very long way
- Nice consistency

CONS:
- A little pricey
- Strips skin of natural oils, drying
- Stings skin
- Sticky

on 6/9/2012 12:25:00 PM

I've tried the Thoroughly Clean Face Wash for Combo Skin with Awapuhi, and loved it except for the fact that my skin felt a bit tight afterwards.
Enter: Gentle Nourishing cleanser! Fixed my problem, no problem. I love the smell, love the feel, don't have to use too much, and I'm not over-exaggerating when I say that I've woken up every morning since using it and have had a glow to my combination skin. I'm serious. I don't know how it even happens! And NO smart-asses I'm not pregnant LOL!!! I think this may become my go-to cleanser. In fact, I like it so much that I think I'll splurge (it's a splurge for me) on a moisturizer of the same brand. I really enjoy fully organic products that actually work... I feel like I'm being nice to my skin - and I can see that it's happy.
I only gave a 3 for packaging based on the first bottle of cleanser I bought. The pump on top broke when I was about halfway through the bottle. Quite a pain... But I enjoy this product so much that if it happens again, I'll be ticked off but not discouraged from a re-purchase.
If you're searching for a cleanser, don't shy away from this one. Even if it doesn't work exactly as you would like - I'd be truly shocked if it did any damage (which really is the scariest aspect of trying new products). Check the ingredients for yourself.