Skinceuticals Physical Fusion SPF 50

5% Zinc Oxide, 6% Titanium Dioxide. Water, Dimethicone, Isododecane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Undecane, Triethylhexanoin, Isohexadecane, Nylon-12, Capylyl Methicone, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Phencythl Benzoate, Styrene/acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Tridecane, Dicapylyl, Carbonate, Dicapylyl Ether, Talc, Dimethicone/PEG-10-15 Crosspolymer, Aluminum Stearate, Pentylene Glycol, Peg-9 Polydeimthcylsiloxyethnyld Iethicone, Alumina, Polyhyroxystearaic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Sulfate, Capylyl Glycol, Iron Oxides, PEG-8 Laurate, Disteradimonium Hectorite, Triethoxycapylylsilane, Tocopherol, Propylenen Carbonate, Artemia Extract, Benzoic Acid, C9-15 Flouroalcohol Phosphate, Peg-9, D46941/2.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

So happy I discovered Skinceuticals Physical Fusion!

I've been a fan of Laura Mercier tinted moisturizers for years. The formulation in perfect for my extremely dry skin. However, I've always had to layer a high SPF sunscreen underneath to get the protection my fair, sensitive skin needs. Skinceuticals has saved me a step in my morning makeup routine.

Physical Fusion is a sheer coverage tinted sunscreen with 50 SPF. It applies like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer liquid, but sets like LM tinted moisturizers. It's finish is satin/matte which make it perfect for summer and warm weather vacations. Also, with it being a physical sunscreen, it doesn't "tingle" (read: sting) my eyes the way a chemical sunscreen does.

And as others mentioned, the product does appear alarmingly greige out of the bottle, but changes color once applied to skin. Try it - you won't be disappointed!

on 8/25/2014 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Pros:
- excellent 100% mineral protection
- slightly tinted (light beige) which is always better than plein white but is still light for nc25/30 complexion.
- covers minimal imperfections so can replaced foundation
- finish is satin/matte

Cons:
- i wish finish could be more matte (as far as i can remember the non tinted version had a more matte finish)
- a bit difficult to spread, it often balls up and takes a bit of time before it sinks into skin so i always put powder on top of it in order to "lock" it, because otherwise i feel like it sits on top of my skin.

Overall very good product, here in Europe it is so difficult to find 100% mineral sunscreens without being thick and greasy!

on 8/16/2014 11:11:00 PM

I hate wearing sunscreens.
They are soo important, but I always feel like they are an extra layer of something that interferes with my makeup.
But I'm allergic to chemical protectants, and is always looking for the lightest weight physical ingredient based protectors.
I have combination skin, so if something contains too much alcohol, my makeup also looks terrible.

I've heard so many good things about this product that it has been on my wishlist for a while and finally purchased them about 2 months ago.

They raised the price a few months ago. I honestly don't like $32 price tag on a sunscreen. but if its that good, I don't mind paying the price.

It does have a tint. a beige color that's too dark for my complexion, but it blends in and is almost transparent on the skin.
its very very liquidy and light weight. the first thin thin layer almost blends right in and is silky, but with second layer, it never fully sets and remains sticky..

There is nothing special about this. its just a liquidy sunscreen that has a lot of silicones in them to make them feel silky.
The tint does nothing - provides zero coverage. so there really is no point.
I might repurchase for the summer because it is one of the better titanium dioxide and zinc oxide based sunscreen,

on 8/11/2014 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I am falling in love with this sunscreen, please don't break my heart.My review is for the tinted version of this sunscreen. This sheer lotion has a pale yellow color which blends in ( NC40) on application. The finish is light and dewy without the greasy effect. Use a blush to finish off and I am good to go.This sunscreen did not give me the white/yellow cast. Hoping to God this product does not break me out after this review. So far all has been good. Have been using this product for a month without any issues. I bought this on Amazon for a good deal.
Update - Wore it to the waterpark and loved the way it felt on my skin, reapplied couple of times during the day without the greasy feeling!!!

on 6/16/2014 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

like the packaging, sanitary, clean, simple, good for travelling
expensive for small bottle

pros: lightweight, no flashback, feels good on the skin, high spf, don't think i break out from this

cons: stinks, not sure about the tint, drying on the skin make sure to moisturize well prior putting this on (i have really dry skin)

on 5/24/2014 9:17:00 AM

This is a light lotion that sinks in nicely. I like that it uses mineral spf rather than chemical ones. I definitely need an oil serum or cream under this cream as it is not moisturising in the least. Tint is barely there, there is no coverage. I like that it is fragrance free. But I really dislike that this contains so much silicones and other chemicals. A few added antioxidants would also be desirable.

on 4/12/2014 1:30:00 PM

The texture of this sunscreen is nice, it dries down to a fairly satiny finish even though it seems greasy upon application. The effect is similar to that of a sheer tinted moisturiser. And it's all physical.

However, it irritated and dried out my skin almost instantly. I would not repurchase and could not even bring myself to finish the bottle after sporadic trials (even though it's mighty expensive).

I would not dream of making an SPF lotion a daily requirement to my beauty routine (except around the eyes), it's just too much work dealing with the aftermaths of deep dehydration/allergic reaction/pimples etc.
With experience, I'm doing better with a light dusting of powder foundation with SPF (whole summer of Givenchy... never got sunburnt), plus a hat.

on 4/12/2014 12:16:00 PM

I've been looking for a cosmetically elegant (non-shiny, light-feeling) sunscreen that doesn't have alcohol in it, which has been fairly difficult. My skin used to be oily, then oily-combination, so it tolerated the alcohol pretty well (even so, I would still sometimes get dry patches of flaky skin from the sunscreen). But my skin is now normal, verging on dry, and I really don't want to put anything drying or harsh on it. It is rather difficult to find a sunscreen with a matte finish, high SPF, decent PPD, and no alcohol or other ingredients my dermatitis-and-acne-prone, somewhat sensitive skin can't tolerate. This came highly rated, so I thought I'd give it a try.

First impression was that this sunscreen is rather expensive. Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection, which is another sunscreen I like, is about $39 for ~3.3 oz ($11.82/oz). La Roche Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme is ~$30 for 1.7 oz ($17.65/oz). Physical Fusion is $34 for 1.7 oz ($20/oz). Though I guess if it's a good product, it'll be worth it.

This sunscreen has no alcohol and uses physical filters (Titanium Dioxide 6%, Zinc Oxide 4.9%) so you don't have to worry about the minerals in makeup interfering with your sun protection, as is the case with some chemical sunscreens. There is a lot of silicone in this (second-listed ingredient after water), which gives the product slip and allows it to act as a base for makeup. This may be a problem for some, but silicone has never bothered my skin.

I wore this to work, which is about 9+ hours of wear. When I first put this on, it felt and behaved just like my alcohol-laden Asian sunscreens. You have to shake it before applying (there's a mixing ball inside the bottle). It's a drippy, silky, milky fluid that feels and looks greasy until it's been thoroughly rubbed in and absorbed. Once it does, it gives my skin a velvety, matte finish. It is tinted a strange, grayish putty color that doesn't look like it would work on any human's skin, but it surprisingly doesn't turn me a sickly color. I have a light (first or second yellow-based shade in most foundations), neutral complexion with yellow tones/olive undertones and some ruddiness here and there due to sensitivities. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this sunscreen slightly evens out my skin by toning down the redness. The end result is even, slightly brighter-looking, matte skin. I think I could get away with this + concealer, but I still put my usual Laura Mercier TM on top just to see what would happen. The makeup didn't oxidize or slide off or do any other undesirable thing.

Physical Fusion feels fantastically light, like I'm not wearing anything, just like my chemical Asian sunscreens do. And yes, I apply the recommended 1/4 tsp to my face. Using so much means it does take a long time to rub in (several minutes of energetic massaging), but it doesn't look shiny at all or make me look greasy later in the day. I'm surprised by how good an all-physical sunscreen can feel. Finally, it does smell a little like burning rubber, but the scent dissipates.

I'm still in testing mode with this. If it doesn't break me out or irritate my dermatitis, then I think I'll have to declare this a winner in my search for a good, everyday sunscreen. I do wish this were easier to source (I have to order online) and cheaper. And I have to admit that I'm a tiny bit suspicious about the SPF and PPD ratings, as the amount of active ingredients seems low to me. I've read that the SPF was partly calculated by adding in the effect of the antioxidant ingredients. But I think it'll be alright for an average workday when I'm only exposed to the sun while driving and walking to and from my car. I will update if there are any problems.

ETA: It's been another 2 weeks and I have noticed one smallish problem. This sunscreen is a bit drying. Someone with oily or combination skin will probably be fine, but my skin is pretty dry these days. I use a very thick moisturizer and then layer a bit of argan oil on top as a barrier between my skin and the sunscreen and that has fixed the problem. I suspect this will become less of an issue when it gets more humid here. Otherwise, I'm still really happy with this sunscreen. It's completely eliminated my need for foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I have the tinted version of this sunscreen and it is lovely. Smooth, non-greasy (but is not matte!), unscented, and provides great SPF and a dewy finish. It is very expensive, but definitely a great face sunscreen.

on 1/18/2014 5:54:00 AM

This is the best daily facial ss I've ever found, because it's it's very lightly tinted & I don't need to use foundation over it in the daytime. (Under foundation, I use something else.) My skin is combo, aging, clog-prone so I don't need a moisturizer with it & it doesn't cause breakouts. I don't get any color, even when I'm out & about town all day. If I were at the beach, skiing or on camping trips & in high sun all day, I'd re-apply. This is an acceptable substitute for an oil-free tinted moisturizer, imo. I can apply either gel or powder blush over it.

The tint is light & I am pale. Brunette skins might find this lightening, I don't know, but it is very sheer and maybe blends down well enough? For comparative reference, the tinted Elta ss "light" & the PTR CC "light" are both way too dark for me & I can't wear them. Both of those also felt "heavier" on my face.

The !.7 oz bottle, with mixing ball & secure screw-on top is $34 @ Dermstore.com. Check around for lower prices. A bottle lasts me a long time & I have already repurchased this product twice.

6% Titanium Dioxide, 5% Zinc Oxide.