September 17, 2014 | 966 users online

Hair Treatments - Shea Moisture - Reconstructive Elixir

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nothing else to add that hasn't already been said. Good stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by fabulyss

Everyone please, READ the instructions. Do NOT use this before heat styling/flat irons or it will damage your hair (in the same way sunbathing while slathered in baby oil will damage your skin). Admittedly, the instructions are not intuitive. If you spray this directly like a hairspray you'll end up with a greasy mess...

So how do you use it? Use it AFTER heat styling and spray ONLY 1-2 sprays on the palm of your hand, rub hands together then lightly apply to length of hair starting from the bottom (avoid applying to roots). It's not a feather light product, so it's up to you to ensure you're not applying too much. You'll be left with silky smooth, frizz-free, and unbelievable silicone-free shine! Seriously, the shine is insane. I love the whole Shea Moisture line (and its sister-line Nubian Heritage) because they're all natural, silicone-free, artificial fragrance-free and yet they're immensely effective. The first 3 ingredients in this product are Shea Butter, Argan Oil, and Carrot Oil (as opposed to Bumble & Bumble Defrizz, for example, which is pure silicones and nothing else). Because this is so nourishing, your hair will actually end up in better condition within each use, which you can't say about most styling products (silicones, though tempting, will ruin your hair in the long run).

The only faults I can think of are that the scent - natural as it is - is quite strong (though personally I love it, I know some people wig-out over scents). Also, you might want to start using toner on the back of your neck if you're prone to breakouts.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by birdie1027

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have fine, fragile hair that appears kinky at the ends in its natural state. I usually wear my hair natural, but in braids in the summer for protection & convenience. In the fall/winter, I like to trim it and wear it out pressed. I use the shea moisture elixir to moisturize and seal the cuticles after pressing . I find that my hair doesn't shed much at all like it used to when I pressed in the past without it. No split ends and it feels silky smooth. Packaging - lost a lipstick because it doesn't spray in a mist. You can waste a lot of if you are not careful .
Like other reviews indicated - calling it a reconstructor is a stretch; "sealant" or "moisturizing protector" is more like it. If you have thin hair, do not use too much or too often. I only press my hair once every 10 days so it's working well for my needs. My hair is soft, smooth, shiny, mobile and it feels stronger. It's a little pricy, BUT the fact that it doesn't contain harmful parabens, fillers or sulfates make it worth the price for sure. Most products made healthier cost more. (On my third bottle for the 4th fall/winter.)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2013 1:49:00 PM More reviews by Tiphani

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this as a sealant on hair that has been washed and a use a leave in conditioner and then a hair cream, then i use this as a sealant.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2012 7:57:00 PM More reviews by itsKelCeeEee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm actually on my second bottle now, and I love it. The first time I bought this "elixir" I was curious as to what...exactly...it...did. The ingredients are wonderful (Argan oil, my #1 side chick is third on the list and ya'll KNOW how expensive that oil is), the spray is very rich and VERY potent (I have enough hair on my head for two people easily and I don't need more than 3-4 sprays with each use), and I surprisingly adore the smell (even though I hate the scent in this line's conditioners). Although I'm not fond of the price, I can't complain because this bottle lasts a long time (I probably use it when styling my wet hair about 2x a week) and it's good quality, so no docked points for that. The only thing I wanted to take a lippy of for has to o with that simple question: What does this oil exactly do? I thought the answer was "nothing" and got ready to add it to my never again list.

This answer (for me) was the wrong one, because as soon as I ran out and didn't rebuy I noticed my hair seemed drier than usual, and wasn't as soft and bouncy. My hair also didn't hold moisture as well as when I'd sealed my leave-ins with this, and as soon as I bought this again and used it the difference was crazy. This had been helping my hair improve all along and I didn't even notice!

So, yeah, needless to say, this remains in my hair arsenal for as long as it's on them Target shelves.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2012 4:12:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am not sure what this does. Has some decent conditioning abilities but I notice no strengthening or other redeeming qualities. I use this to sleek back my hair in a bun for lazy days or when I go to the pool or beach to protect my hair just so I can use it up. Will not buy again

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by pisces31919

I got this as part of the Repair and Transition Kit. It has Raw Shea Butter oil, Argan oil, and Sea Kelp extract. I do like that the oil is misty but I prefer to use this at night when I put my hair in a "Pebbles" instead of daytime. This makes a great as a body oil as well, however, I just prefer my coconut oil!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 10:58:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Honestly this is an okay oil. It didn't do anything spectacular for my hair. I didn't see any improvements nor decline in my hair. The major con is when I purchased this oil, the fragrance overwhelmed me to the point of overbearing headaches. After I let it aged in my closet for about a year, the scent has calmed down immensely. I will not repurchase because I do not experience any benefit for my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2012 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Maite5468

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

GREAT GREAT GREAT product! I've been using this elixir and pretty much the whole line for about a year now...... And my 3c curly/kinky hair has done a complete 180! I use to use whatever the salons recommended and a whole bunch of gel to style my hair (I found an argan oil mousse that's alcohol/sulfate free at CVS to replace the gel)......it was so dry and the gel would make it crunchy.....not cute..... I had no clue how to take care of my hair....i saw this line at target (and Walgreens) and let me tell u these products have changed my life. They are natural which is a huge deal cuz I'm switching everything over to natural products and they are effective! This is an oil mixture and I only use like a spray or two on each section as I'm styling with the mousse before I diffuse (not too much cuz it will make your hair VERY oily) and it adds a beautiful shine (not greasy as long as you don't use too much) my curls are so pretty, I get so many compliments! Since I only use a few sprays every time I style my hair (which is usually twice a week) it lasts me FOREVER, def more than 6 months at least!! And for $10.....just amazing......these products are IMO THE best for curly hair!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2011 3:20:00 AM More reviews by Halloqueen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is awesome. I wanted the benefit of the oils on my dry damaged thinning hair, but I didn't want the 'cones and other chemicals. I was a little hesitant about using shea on my hair, since it's thinning and damaged and I didn't want to weigh it down, This is exactly what I wanted, It's almost impossible to use too much, and it's added moisture and imprioved my dry ends without making my hair limp, causing buildup, or making me oily. It's totally natural, and I found it also makes an incredible body spray...just a small spritz, rub it in and in about 15 seconds, and you have perfectly moisturized non oily skin and healthy looking hair, It also works wonders as a detangler. To me, it has no scent, I use it on damp hair right out of the shower and let my hair air dry. Have to say that it's been forever since I found something at the drugstore (or anywhere for that matter) that performed above and beyond. For the price, a real HG item.
EDIT: This product and it's friends can be found at Walgreens, It's found in the "women of color' section, but this truly worked wonders on my blondish thinning hair, and I am very pale. I think this would work for almost any ethnic group, as it's light, natural and has good for you products in it, Recommend for everyone!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No