KOJI - Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner

4.2

on 7/26/2015 12:21:00 AM

I bought this, hoping for a cheaper alternative to my HG K-Palette 24h Real Lasting Eyeliner from Sasa KL. But sadly, it just didn't work as well.

At RM36.90, I picked up two colours – black and brown – as I mostly favour a non-graphic eyeliner look. Lining between the lashes / tightlining is the way to go for me, and on my oily lids and frequently teary eyes, a longlasting, non-smudging eyeliner is something I really need.

At first swatch, the liquid eyeliner appeared to be a tad watery, and the Brown shade swatched a tad too light – think diluted. I waved the pen in the air a couple of times to hopefully dry the eyeliner out a little. It did dry the eyeliner out a bit, but the colour payoff was still poor.

The Black eyeliner fared slightly better. It has better pigmentation than the brown eyeliner, but the watery problem remained, and I really struggled to draw a thin line on my eye without having the product spread all over the place.

It didn't help that the product really stung my eyes. +____+

Simply put, I just couldn't get this product to work, and if you are keen on trying a Japanese-made liquid eyeliner, please give the K-Palette one a go, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

on 7/25/2015 11:25:00 PM

Pros of DollyWink:
-Small brush tip
-Easy to wash off
-Different shades (Brown and Black)
-Can draw varying line size
-Doesn’t smear

Cons of Dollywink:
-Frayed Brush
-Hard to find in certain parts of the US
-Fades (Without primer, it’s nearly gone after 8 hours. After over 8 hours of wear with a -primer, it faded a bit)
-Not waterproof
-Pricey
-Soft tip offers less control
-Dries out very fast in container
-Dries out if you apply your eyeliner too slow
-Bleeds/feathers out in the tiny lines around your eye

It's overall a decent eyeliner. Sadly, all of eyeliners I've bought have faded without primer, even if they're waterproof. I would've given it a 4/5 if it weren't for the tip. Perhaps I just got a defective one where the tip was weird? It's expensive, so I won't buy it again to find out of that was the case. There are many other eyeliners that are cheaper and have a better tip, so I won't be repurchasing this.

on 2/13/2015 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I completely don't understand the hype for these eyeliners tbh. It's not waterproof as claimed. I may have oily lids, but I always wore primer before any eyelining and this seems to drop off from a teeny tiny touch of water and that's not what I want in a liquid liner.

I bought this in brown because I like brown eyeliners more. I do enjoy the fact that it's a brush tip eyeliner (I don't really like felt tip liners) and it doesn't take much effort to line the eyes. I do wear this frequently despite it's not waterproof and it has decent lasting power as long as I don't touch it.

I would still repurchase it because it's one of the brands that offers a brown eyeliner.

on 1/30/2015 12:51:00 PM

This eyeliner is not completely bad but one aspect of it makes it hardly usable.

I heard so many good things about this eyeliner so i finally decided to order it. The packaging is cute and the first time I used it I absolutely loved it. It went on so smoothly and stayed on all day despite any condition. It even stayed perfectly on my waterline. I really loved it and thought I found the perfect liquid liner.

The downfall was my second use. The tip was dry no matter how much I tried to apply. I shook it violently and it still didn't do much for me. I thought it was just a bad day and used it again the next day. It only got worse.

The eyeliner doesn't even come out from the tip anymore. There is only product on the side. I literally sat there for one and a half hours trying to apply eyeliner and let me tell you I am not bad at eyeliner by any means. I have pretty much mastered all types of eyeliner looks. Usually it takes me like 10 minutes to create any eyeliner look. But this product had me sitting there doing it for one and a half hours because it wouldn't go on smoothly. It was streaky and every time you try to fill in inconsistent gaps it creates, it erases the line you tried so hard to draw with this crappy product like a dry erase marker.

It only got worse and worse days after until I now consider this product almost absolute trash. Although I really hate it, it is a good eyeliner. The staying power is really amazing and the line looks super precise-- that is if you can get it on your eye.

I don't recommend this product because of how hard it is to apply. It's an absolute waste of money and time. It's a great formula but horrible product.

I will never understand the hype.

on 1/13/2015 1:35:00 PM

Cute packaging, super black and lasts all day. I have very watery eyes, especially if it's windy outside but this baby doesn't smear. Additionally, my super oily monolids doesn't even make the eyeliner smudge! I'm done finding my HG eyeliner. Mission accomplished.

on 1/11/2015 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I really don't understand the hype behind this product.

I purchased this product from a Sasa in Hong Kong. Swatching it in the store, it seemed a little bit watery but I bought it anyways, simply because the internet raves about it.

Pros:
The eyeliner has a brush tip applicator, which is more precise than a felt tip and doesn't fray. It also doesn't smudge on the back of my hand.

Cons:
This liner is way too watery. It does not go on intense or solid black, so I end up having to go over it again. However, this is also the type of eyeliner that comes off when you go over it (similar to a dry erase marker). I've also noticed that it transfers to my upper lid (I have monolids).

Overall, I love the precision of the tip but the formulation simply makes application too difficult and affects the lasting power.

on 12/12/2014 8:04:00 AM

Quite possibly my HG eyeliner. Wore this with the Too Faced eyelid primer and this eyeliner has lasted through a nap, artificial tears (I have dry eyes), general day-to-day blinking and going about my business. Stayed on all day with no smudge. YES! Have tried Maybelline, MAC, Bobbi Brown, another Koji one which was a pencil type gel liner. This Dolly Wink one is a winner!

on 11/13/2014 1:22:00 AM

This eyeliner is so good! The fine tip makes application easy, eyeliner dries fast, doesn't irritate eyes (works well with contacts). I purchased in Jpn for 1100 yen (~$11 US). You can choose to make a fine or thick line.

Unfortunately, it's 2x the price in the US. I don't think I would pay $20 for it, out of the principle knowing it's 2x the price. But I would definitely ask any friends going to Jpn to buy me a bunch of them lol.

If you decide to purchase while in Jpn, please note that drugstores tend to price differently. I shopped at several Jpnse drug stores, and I noticed Matsumoto-Kiyoshi had cheapest prices (there's a bunch everywhere, but one store is right at the famous Shibuya crossing. I recommend purchasing there bc they have a large selection of makeup, you can see a famous Japanese landmark AND run an errand. plus the store really wasn't busy considering at an incredibly busy intersection, so a nice break from the crowds).

on 11/9/2014 12:21:00 PM

Easy to use with a glossy black finish. I really like how straight the lines are when you use this product! I find that it lasts me 8+ hours without melting away from sweat/heat. Though I do agree that at times it tends to crumble near my inner corners. However, my wings never crumble! My first Dolly Wink pen lasted me over a year until it finally dried out. Sometimes I use the liner as a base to define my lines/wings before filling in with Estee Lauder's black gel creme liner. Depends on my mood that day! Overall, would recommend despite the price.

on 10/11/2014 3:21:00 PM

This is my favorite eyeliner! Its so easy to put on- the tip is very flexible and gives you a really pretty line.

The bad thing is that the color wont be suepr black all day long. It lasts around 5 hours and then it beggins to fade. But you will still have product on at the end of the day tho.

The packaging is suuper cute, so is the product.

The price is pretty high in my opinion since there are eyeliners out there at 5-10$ that work fine. But this is the only one that easily gives me a perfect line.