BeneFit Cosmetics They're Real

3.4

2089 reviews

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Polybutene, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium Edta, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sericin, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Citric Acid, Bht, Sorbic Acid. [+/-: Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)]. N° 05827/N

on 9/2/2015 4:55:00 AM

They're Real used to be my HG mascara couple of years back, it is still my go-to product of choice when I don't have any inspiration on what new mascara to try out.

Good things about this mascara is that it won't flake, chip or smudge at all. I happened to cry couple of times while wearing this (I mean just a coincidence) and it didn't run all over my face. I would say this is a good water-resistant product that will look good throughout a day or night.

The negative thing is - this is one of those mascaras that are hard to remove. I personally recommend using a make-up removing oil, as it is gentle and works best at getting rid of all the make-up bits.

Overall I believe this is a fairly good mascara, one of those staple ones on the market that does it job pretty well. It does define (never clump or stick the lashes), lenghten and perhaps volumize a little.

If you want to see the review on its newer blue colored version as well as swatches, feel free to check out this blog post here. Hope it helps somehow.

on 9/1/2015 8:21:00 AM

I will start by saying that I think this mascara is MASSIVELY overrated.
When I first started using this mascara, I absolutely hated it! It was so wet that I couldn't do anything with it, and it would end up all over my face! Also it would smudge like hell all underneath my eyes.
I stopped using it, and went back to it a few months later when it had dried up a fair amount. This made it easier to apply, and it was OK. I just used it for the sake of using it up really. There are so many drugstore mascaras I would choose over this.
And also having used Benefit's Roller Lash, that one is a million times better than They're Real, so if you are looking at getting this one, I'd recommend getting Roller Lash instead. Or just go to the drugstore because there are a lot of amazing ones which well out perform They're Real.

on 8/31/2015 6:52:00 AM

Doesn't live up to the hype for me.

I'm always on the look out for the mascara Holy Grail: one that makes my lashes look longer, thicker and more like the sort batted by Thumper's girlfriend in Bambi. I was keen to try and seduced by an apparent superbrush that would reach all the stubby lash outliers that other mascaras couldn't. However the brush doesn't easily get to the short little lashes in the inner corner and for me the product doesn't apply all that well or easily.

Disappointed. I'll finish the tube but not buy again. The Grail quest remains unaccomplished!

on 8/27/2015 10:12:00 AM

I quite liked the brush to this mascara. I'm happy to spend alot on foundation, eyeshadows, lipsticks etc but with mascara I feel as though any will do the trick for me. I think I would rather buy 3 different cheaper types of mascaras with different brushes (one for volume, one to separate the lashes and one for length) then just buy this one product, which costs $40AU. With mascaras, you have to throw them out after roughly 3 months so i'm not sure if this is worth the money.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I hated this! I loved BadGal, and had high hopes for this. Meh. Didn't deliver on it's promises. My lashes are naturally long, but this made them clump like crazy, and actually made them shorter. Not a fan. Not a fan at all.

on 8/26/2015 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'd ummed and ahhed about this mascara for ages, and read all the reviews on before I thought "what the heck" and bought it. I am so glad I did. This is the best mascara I have ever used and I think I have tried them all over the years! I curl my lashes with an eyelash curler then apply two coats of mascara. One coat is great but two just adds to the definition (no clumping!) and it really makes your eyes stand out without looking overdone. It doesn't flake or smudge during the day and is easily removed with an oil based remover (I use baby oil!). The only downside is the price - 19.50 is a lot of money for a mascara, but honestly it is worth every penny for the WOW effect!

on 8/24/2015 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Yes, it lengthens, yes it darkens, thickens, etc, the stuff delivers exactly what it promises. But I'm not gonna lie, I do NOT like the $25 price tag. :( You can get the same results form Maybelline Lash Sensational at less than half the cost. The one major con to this stuff is that it's HARD to remove! You need to use an oil based remover, wash your face and use your oil based remover again and it's not even water proof! So if you don't mind spending major $$$ and putting in work taking this stuff off, They're Real is for you.

Duuuuude this mascara is great!

SUPER lengthening, (which I need - short, thin, light colored lashes) great volume, and amazing curl. Nice pigmentation as well. Everything I want and love in a mascara.

One thing that is the reason for 4 stars instead of 5: The brush. The brush itself is long and allows to cover every lash with the product. But the BRISTLES are so SHARP. They're like mini daggers near your eyes!

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten too close to my eye and it pokes me and I have to clean up the smears and restart the mascara application. I never expect it because I go that close to my eye with other mascaras, but it's not a problem with those. After the times I've poked myself, I learned to be more careful...

Overall, yes, I recommend! Just be careful haha. :P :D

on 8/22/2015 6:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Formula: I LOVE this mascara. My lashes look 5x lusher and longer. So good, I find ask myself if "they're real"? Formula doesn't smudge or clump. It is super black. Goes on smooth. Holds the curl ALL DAY. Perfect everytime.
It is easy enough to remove with the right makeup removers and technique. It's really not much harder than other mascaras.

Brush: The unique brush takes some learning as it is hard rubber and has pointy tips (can hurt if you poke yourself/ get too close to the lashline). Once you learn it tho, it's great.
It separates all the hairs + I love that the end can be used for corner lashes and bottom lashes. I love the brush. I do wish it was a tad smaller tho.

I don't mind the price. Would rather get 1 good mascara vs. 4 different drugstore ones that clumps/ bleeds/ fades (*cough cough maybelline) OR vs. 1 expensive brand that clumps/bleeds/fades (*cough cough urban decay perversion)

BOTTOMLINE: HG of Mascara for me!

on 8/21/2015 7:13:00 PM

Amazing. I recommend trying the sample size before buying the larger size to see if it works for you though!

Video Reviews & Tutorials