December 20, 2014 | 830 users online

Highlighters - Kevyn Aucoin - The White Shimmer Liquid

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2009 1:35:00 AM More reviews by CallistoLuna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This stuff is awful. Kevyn Aucoin has a great track run with me. All of his products to date have not let me down even if they have not suited my skin type or complexion (but that has been my error), BUT I can't get this product to blend at all. I keep coming back to it thinking it is me. I blend it on the back of my hand and get reasonable results BUT when it comes to the crunch, as in when I really want to use it (as in going out) I put this stuff in the corner of my eyes thinking "yes, this will just perfect my look for the night" but all it does is reduce me to looking like I have gunk in the inner corners of my gorgeously done up eyes! So, I spend an extra 5 minutes trying to either scrape it off (it is immovable after it sets) or using an emolient to remove it (destroying all of my previous efforts) and end up with red inner corners (not a nice look) or having to re-do the inner corner shadow...Either way, I think just avoid this hassle and skip this step. If you have KA's palette #2 on hand, use the white eyeshadow - it is perfect for the enhancing effect (or any other white shadow/shimmery powder)- you'll get subtle enhancement to die for.
I was told to use this product with a moisturiser for better results, which I did and it leaves a blotchy effect. Also, a couple of steps earlier (if starting from scratch) I used a moisturiser - right under my foundation!!! Just avoid this product if you don't want the hassle and heart ache. I'm sad to say that Kevyn didn't make the perfect shimmer - even if it is a secret weapon, I'd rather the white eye shadow in palette #2 anyday.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2007 7:51:00 PM More reviews by Scarlet3334

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of Kevyn's products that I don't really like. As others have mentioned, it dries quickly and ends up leaving an almost crusty reside behind. When I use it with a bit more moisturizer I have better results, but there are similar products on the market that don't require an extra step and are much less expensive. I think this one would benefit from a reformulation.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/14/2006 1:22:00 AM More reviews by proactive

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading Kevyn's book, "Making Faces" I was psyched to purchase this product. Big disappointment! It dries immediately and can't be blended.
Salesperson at the Kevyn Aucoin counter at Bergdorf Goodman in NYC told me to use a moisturizer with the product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2006 2:18:00 PM More reviews by therese108

Highlighters are the luxury items in the makeup world, because when it comes right down to it, you don't really need them. You don't really need The White Liquid Shimmer, though the late, great Kevyn Aucoin must be lauded for creating the concept of putting white shimmer on the inner corners of the eyes to look more vibrant and youthful. The 2 main strikes against this product are its consistency and the price. Liquids are so much harder to control than powders or pencils. A highlighting pencil like Shu Uemura's white pencil (with 2 sides, a frosted and a matte white), or a powder shadow like Bobbi Brown's Snow offer the same effect and are so much easier to blend and control.)

This comes in gloss form, with a pointed brush at the end of the wand. It's very easy to pick up too much product, so I suggest always wiping the wand on the container mouth before applying. The pointed brush lets you apply a thin line under the browbone, at each eye corner and on the V at the bow of the mouth. I suggest doing one area at a time and blending quickly with a finger because this product does dry fast and somewhat patchy if you're not careful. Don't be afraid of blending so that just a subtle shimmer remains. I've found that's the most realistic, flattering effect, anyway.

For a highlighter this is also bloody expensive for such a small wand, but I figure since you need a minuscule amount each time, your $22 will last pretty much forever and you'll never need to repurchase.

Bottom line: A luxury addition to your makeup wardrobe, not a must-have. You'll also have to learn to work it, girl, before getting to the promised land of bright eyes and plumper-looking lips.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2006 12:49:00 PM More reviews by rjez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't get this product at all. Major hype and I fell for the name and assumed credibility. It goes on like glittery liquid paper and dries too fast to blend. I end up with glittery white spots or when I try to blend, it rubs off completely leaving my skin red and irritated. Hate, hate, hate this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2006 11:51:00 PM More reviews by ghoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very nice product, however I wish it could be a little more layerable. It seems to just dry pretty sheer and shimmery. I would much rather use a white shimmer loose pigment like the one from Cargo, and apply damp and layer as desired.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2006 10:32:00 AM More reviews by CCW39

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oy Vey....glittery crap. Try MAC's Cream Color Base in Pearl.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2005 7:55:00 PM More reviews by cristaline

You don't need this. It doesn't do anything that any creamy highlighting product -- whether it be liquid or cream -- can't do. MUFE make a liquid in Metallic White that I find easier to use. And Nars Copacabana comes to mind as something that more than suffices.
This is literally a white cream product that has some gleam to it. However, once applied, it loses some of its gleam and looks a bit flat. Moreover, because it's more of a cream than a liquid, it's liable to coagulate on the wand. Therefore, although the packaging is sleek, I imagine you won't be able to reach every bit of this product in the tube, which you have the right to be able to do given its exorbitant price.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2005 1:32:00 AM More reviews by Libbycam

I believe that Kevyn Aucoin's White Shimmer Liquid is one of the most hyped cosmetic products ever advertised in recent years! After reading a must-have teaser in an InStyle magazine a few years ago, I HAD to have this White Shimmer Liquid or else! I gladly paid the ransom and received the gold. When the WSL arrived, I anxiously opened it to find a dry wand w/the white-gold liquid encrusted in top of the wand. Using the only quality component of this product, the fine brush wand, I pumped the tube for my liquid gold. When I did get some on the wand, I applied it to my inner eye area only to find that the liquid dried immediately on contact and made my eyes look old and wrinkly. Yuk! What a rip-off! To say the least, I was extremely disappointed since I so wanted this liquid gold to be a real treasure. It was just an empty promise and a big waste of $. >^,,^<

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2005 9:30:00 PM More reviews by DJ112

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've used this highlighter a couple of times since I bought it. Major Disappointment. Don't even bother.