Paula's Choice RESIST Cellular Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 25

3.1

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 8%; Other Ingredients: Water, Tribehenin (skin conditioning agent), PEG-20 Esters (thickener), Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate (silicone slip agents), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Caprylyl Methicone (skin conditioning agent), Stearic Acid, Squalane (emollients), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidants), Ubiquinone, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Oryzanol, Leontopodium Alpinum Flower/Leaf Extract, Buddleja Davidii Extract (antioxidants), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate (emollient), Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone film-forming agent), Cetyl Alcohol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickeners), Polyacrylamide (film-forming agent), Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickener), Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate/Triethoxycaprylylsilane Crosspolymer (polymer-base texture enhancer), Triethoxycaprylylsilane Crosspolymer (binding agent), Laureth-7 (emulsifier), Thymus Vulgaris Extract (antioxidant), C13-14 Isoparaffin, Alumina (thickeners), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol (preservatives).

on 5/18/2015 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Of the Resist sunscreen moisturizers I tried this seemed to be the best but after wearing for several days I started getting breakouts. Every day a new zit. I'm 58. This should not be my new normal.

It felt moisturizing and plumping at the beginning of every day and then just heavy and greasy as the day wore on. Definitely too much even for my normal dry skin. This had to go back.

And yes I did buy samples to try beforehand but her samples have gotten so small: you get maybe a tsp for $1 now it's not even worth it. You can hardly tell if something will work for you. And after paying for samples I think you should get a % off your order of the item. Just my 2 cents.

on 5/8/2015 8:56:00 AM

This is a thick, white cream that looks and feels more like a sunscreen than a moisturizer. The white cast disappears very quickly, even if you use a generous amount. This product is definitely suitable only for dry or very dry skin, because it's quite greasy. Titanium dioxide tends to suck out the moisture from my skin, but this moisturizer is emollient enough to counteract it. Since I've been using it, I've noticed that my skin is healthier and firmer, so the skin-beneficial ingredients must be effective here. My first experiences were quite bad with this brand, but I've found that the Resist line has some really good products I enjoy more and more. This product is supposed to be the weakest link of the range, but I completely disagree with that.
I've also tried the Resist Super-Light moisturizer, which has a much higher rating, but I didn't find its performance superior. The biggest difference is in the skin type they are suitable for. I would only recommend Super-Light to those with oily skin, and I think neither products are good for normal or combination types. Super-Light can be used together with an emollient moisturizer, although I've found it drying even in this case, but Cellular Defense is totally useless, if your skin is not dry.
My skin is really dry nowadays, so I like and use this product a lot. First I only wanted to rate it a 4 because it feels like a sunscreen while having a relatively low SP. But it has a physical sunblock, and I think in this case it's impossible to achieve the 'I'm not wearing anything' feeling or touch.

on 2/13/2015 11:45:00 PM

I was anxious to try this cause it is oil free and has titanium dioxide and the ingredients seem top-notch. At first if felt very greasy going on, but then dried up after 30 minutes and settled into every fine line and blemish making me look 10 yrs older. By the end of the day I looked downright scary as it aged me and ruined my makeup.
I usually love mineral sunscreens, but this one was horrible. Wish she would quit reformulating products and keep some of the ones that many of us started using a while ago!

on 1/17/2015 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I LOVE this moisturizer! It is one of the few products with SPF that makes my skin feel soft, hydrated, and most important DOES NOT BURN my eyes!

on 8/6/2014 4:54:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I HAD TWO SAMPLES.
This is a good 2 in 1 lotion/ sunscreen for dry skin. This felt heavy on my skin and grainy when I rubbed it on luckily that effect was temporary. Otherwise if the texture was better I'de give it 4 stars. The directions are unclear it instructs you to wait 25 minutes before going out, but a sunblock usually works immediately, and this is 8% titanium dioxide.

on 4/1/2014 10:59:00 AM

Not crazy about this. The Titanium Dioxide level is so high that it actually aggravates my rosacea. I get brand new pustules (ew) every single time I use this. Sometimes I think I am better off with synthetic sunscreens, even with rosacea. Ugh.

on 4/1/2014 12:04:00 AM

Update: I bumped this up to a five, and I am now repurchasing it. I bought the Resist Super-light SPF 30 to replace this and it was definitely better but it just a bit too drying for me. I have been thoroughly mixing the two Resist sunscreens in my palm before application for the past few days, and it's been perfect for me. It soaks right in, there is no smell, it doesn't leave a white cast, it provides some moisture, and my skin feels soft after I put it on. This is the first time in my life I haven't dreaded putting sunscreen on my face! I do wish Paula's Choice would change the top on this to a flip top like the Super-light; the top is a hassle to handle with sunscreen hands.

I can't stand the feel of sunscreen on my face, so I don't feel that it's fair to give this three lippies. However, this is the only Paula's Choice product I've tried that I haven't loved. It seems to sit on my face forever, and I have dry skin. I realized how much I didn't like it when I recently ordered samples of Paula's Choice sunscreens for oily skin and LOVED them. The resist Super-light and the Hydralight are awesome!

I'm giving this a higher rating because my mother-in-law loves it, and I know I am picky about sunscreens. Plus, it has a number of amazing ingredients in it that are great for the skin. It's just not quite right for my skin.

Just a simple question: how can someone who harshly criticizes /judges all other skin care brands release a daily moisturizer with no proper UVA protection? Does she really think that people are still so stupid to look primarily into the SPF number instead of studying the ingredient list for UVA agents?? Titanium dioxide is not zinc oxide and does not protect you against long wave UVA!
To be clear: I like lots of her products, just get annoyed in general by the SPF labeling.... 30, 50, 100 - who cares, if a cream does not contain long wave UVA protection?

on 12/26/2013 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This a HG for dry-sensitive skin. If your skin is not dry, I mean dry dry, don't try it. If you break out, get redness, flaky skin, or are under some seriously drying treatment/serious winter, this is a good option. I prefer it to the moisture boost and to the skin recovery SPF creams by Paula. It is more moisturizing for me, I had absolutely no adverse reactions, and -it should be said - this one does have more beneficial ingredients. I get a beautiful dewy finish.

on 10/23/2013 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The good: the lotion is fairly moisturizing, it dries to a lovely powdery finish, and has only a faint white cast. The bad: It can take a while to dry on humid days (I speed things up with my hair dryer on the cool setting), and the titanium dioxide sucks all the moisture out of my skin as the day progresses (I know it's the td as Bobbi Brown's mineral foundation has td and does the same thing to me). The questionable: the titanium dioxide does NOT protect against the full range of UVA rays (it blocks UBA1 rays only). I suppose it is good that this sunscreen exists for those whose cannot use zinc oxide or chemical sunscreens, but I feel that to not tell consumers that a td-only sunscreen is not giving them full protection against UVA rays is misleading.

Popular Moisturizers