December 18, 2014 | 1671 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Missmartinez1014

When I began wearing makeup I first bought MAC brushes and they were rough and awful. Then I began buying these and I fell in love. They are soft and easy to use. They blend my eyeshadow seamlessly and make any makeup look flawless.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2014 4:27:00 AM More reviews by julianaq

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hi, I've been using the starter set for about a month now.
These are my thoughts on the set:
-The brushes are great price for the super amazing quality, they are soft, beautiful and they don't shed.
-Fine liner brush: The new set comes with the fine liner brush instead of the pixel point brush which is a great change that they've made. The fine liner brush is a great brush, I've tried it, but I don't really use gel eyeliner, so I don't use this one very often.
-Accent brush: I use it for putting a bit of shadow on the lower lid or inner corner highlight, great for detailed work.
-Brow brush: It's the only brush I dislike, it's too thick and big, I use it as a comb for my brows just to justify the fact that I have it. I would prefer a brush like the eyeliner brush in Nic's picks, more like a Mac 263 or a Mac 266. That would be more of a multi-tasker both for brows and as an eyeliner to use with eyeshadow.
-Deluxe crease brush: it's great for many things, concealing, blending, putting shadow all over the lid, I love it, I want another one, but it's not for detailed work. My eyes are small, so I would need a smaller crease brush for more detailed work and I cannot find one in the real techniques collection!! Only in the limited edition picks. I need a smaller more precise crease brush and I'm not the only one! Have you noticed that both Sam and Nick have a new crease brush in their picks? This is a sign they need to produce a smaller crease brush for more detailed work and make it available not only in limited edition sets! We don't all have the amazing big eyes Sam has!
-Base shadow: it's also a great multitasker, also for concealer, eyeshadow, cream or powder products.
-The deluxe crease brush and base shadow brush are the stars of the collection. I would like them to be available as singles!

For a starter set, to give to a person who doesn't have any eye brushes, right now I prefer the Ecotools eye enhancing duo set over the RT one.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2014 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Teddybear3820

These brushes are AMAZINGGG! Definitely recommend this for anyone! The ones I use the most are the brow brush and the base shadow brush. The brow one is thick so I only use it for my inner eyebrow area and using a different smaller brush for the outer area. The base shadow brush is my favorite! I use it to blend my crease or to add color all over the lid. The first time I used it I was freaking out because it picks up and deposits eyeshadow like a dream! The buffing brush is also great for blending out concealer and also putting on powder in certain areas. So glad i picked this set up, definitely worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2014 6:29:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this is an excellent beginning point for eye makeup as it comes with a liner brush, detail brush, crease brush, base shadow brush and a brow brush. For ~$15 and your first kit, you really can't beat it but after nearly 2 years of using it I've come to realize that for the most part I've really out grown this kit and it no longer meets my needs for eye makeup.

Ones I'm not crazy about:

1. Liner brush - Too large, repurposed as a lip brush (note - I think the newer editions include a finer liner brush)
2. Brow brush - Too soft
3. Detail brush - Decent enough, but I prefer the RT domed shading brush to this as it's larger although this is nice for an inner corner highlight
4. Crease brush - I use the one labeled as a crease brush as a base shadow brush (how Samantha fits this in her crease is beyond me, it's mammoth), repurposed for buffing in concealer mainly

The one I do like:

5. Base shadow brush - I actually use the one labeled as a base shadow brush as a crease/blending brush and it's my favorite, it's worth it for the $15 (on Amazon) alone in my opinion

Overall, I'm really glad I started with the RT set as it served me well, I can repurpose some of them, and it gave me a sense of what I want out of my future brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by verte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

In this handy and great value kit, there are three brushes that I use religiously and two that I don't use at all, or rarely. I use the brow brush, base shadow brush and crease brush, and of the two little ones (fine liner brush and accent brush), I have occasionally used the accent brush for precise applications of concealer.
Brow brush - great for brow products, a little too thick/imprecise for applying eyeliner for me (my eyes are small and I prefer subtle/thin eyeliner on the odd occasion I use it).
Base shadow brush - again, great for base/lighter eyeshadows, I think it's a little too big/soft and therefore imprecise for me personally in blending darker shadows.
Crease brush - I use for darker shadows and blending into the crease and socket. I also use this brush to apply concealer under my eyes as it's the perfect shape. I also use it to apply different concealer on imperfections and then for blending same in.
I have two sets of these brushes. I threw away the stands as I thought they were kind of useless and I don't have space for them (my brushes are kept in ordinary water glasses). They wash easily and hold their shape. Love them and have repurchased and would again!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Randomination22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This brush set contains all the essentials you need to create beautiful eye makeup and I use them frequently when doing eye looks.

The brush quality is good indeed, picking up a good amount of colour and applying it very well. I particularly like using the Deluxe Crease Brush (and also the Base Shadow Brush sometimes) for concealer as they work well for it. That's the thing, these brushes are multi-purpose.

I don't use every single brush but I've used them all at least once and you can't really complain for the price.
The only thing, however, I do complain about is the stand - it's a good idea, but it's a bit cheap and doesn't really work properly (one of the brushes won't fit in again, annoyingly). Oh well, still a worthy buy!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

I bought this kit for travel, and I am really not happy with it. The only brush I can actually use is the accent brush. The base shadow brush and crease brush are both too big, the eyeliner brush is too floppy and the brow brush isn't very useful without a spoolie on the opposite end.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by AHeartsMakeUp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love ALL of the Real Techniques brushes for a few reasons:

-Affordable
-Good Quality/No Shedding
-Nice Selection

You really can't go wrong with these. I wish I had discovered them sooner. My approach to brushes is to use them as whatever they work for me as, and not necessarily what they're labeled as.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 6:03:00 AM More reviews by Sugarnspice28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

These are hands down the BEST brushes on a budget! Super soft, a brush for all application needs, very well priced, easy to clean and very sturdy! I have bought 3 of these sets and love them all. I do not use the carry case they came with and have simply put them in my brush holder.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2014 11:30:00 PM More reviews by paine724

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Three out of five of these brushes are excellent and the other two are just okay.

1) The base shadow brush is an excellent brush for applying shadows and I wish it were sold separately. It applies the shadows while simultaneously blending them and I find that I prefer it to using shader brushes which can leave inconsistent results.

2) The deluxe crease brush is great but I find that I like it better for blending out concealers and liquid/cream contours than I do to actually use in the crease. I find it's a little to big and imprecise to use there and I prefer to use my sigma brushes to blend out the crease. However, it buffs out underye concealer and cream contours very well. This really should have been included in the face brush set.

3) The accent brush is great for small precision work such as work on the outer or inner corner of the eyes and highlighting.

4) I have naturally thick brows so I don't use the brow brush for it's intended purpose but I like using this brush as an angled liner type brush to apply eyeshadows for cut creases and to apply shadows on the lower lash line. This brush is thick and the bristles are a bit separated so this brush is just "okay"

5) The pixel point eyeliner brush is the brush I reach the least for. I tried using this for eyeliner and the brush is too flexible and imprecise. I tried using this for tightlining and it's slightly better for that but nothing to go crazy about. This one is also just "okay"