Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

4.3

Synthetic Taklon

on 8/12/2015 7:08:00 AM

For what it's worth, the brushes are okay. I wouldn't say that they're good, since they're too big and too clumsy for my personal usage.
I wouldn't repurchase them, and when I get different brushes, I'll be giving these away.

on 8/4/2015 3:03:00 PM

Not the best of the real techniques brushes, but nonetheless very good. The crease brush is huge and can only be used as a crease brush if you have ginormous eyes. I use it to lay down my base colour and then use the smaller brush to do blending in my eye crease. The detailing brush is perfect for 'corners' and for sweeping colour below the lower lash line. I haven't had cause to use the liner brush or the angled brush yet, as I have old established favourites already that I just can't bear to part with. All in all, I'm happy with this set and I just bought one for my daughter!

on 8/1/2015 5:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this little set at Kohl's and have utilized them all for different purposes. I find them a great deal for the price. I do not find them scratchy either. I suppose that is a relative thing. They are definitely not Hakuhodo or Suqqu quality but they are decent brushes. Especially I like the larger Shadow brush for laying down all over base shadow. The larger Crease brush I use as a buffing brush for my concealer. The Liner brush I use when I don't necessarily need a fine line for my lid or under eye. The Accent brush is great for getting in small places like the inside corners, to highlight under brows and at times on the lid. The angled brush is useful for making finer lines and I also use it for my brows when my Sephora angled brow brush is drying. I would say I would recommend these for those who are starting a brush collection or for those on a budget. They have been very durable. I have not had any shedding from them yet and I have had my set for over two years. I use them daily. My Hakuhodos and Sephora Pros are my new babies but these Eye brushes have their purposes as well.

on 8/1/2015 4:04:00 AM

The brushes feel quite scratchy on my eye. I noticed this both new out of the package and after washing. My other complaint about the brushes is I find them to be not all that practical in terms of design, save for the socket brush. The shader brush head is quite large and bulky. The liner brush works okay if I am using an eyeshadow or powder liner but despite being synthetic, I have not had success using it with cream or gel formulas as it can be a bit hard to control and seemingly not firm enough. The dome brush head is quite tiny so I make use of it by applying color meant to be used in small amounts and it can also be used to smudge out liner. The brush set is not expensive and there could certainly be worse things about it but overall, it really added nothing in terms of usefulness to my collection and the scratchiness is a turn off.

on 7/24/2015 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have this brush set for more than two years now. I am happy with it. They deliver great results every single time. I get the most use out of base shadow (use it in crease for blending out shadow), deluxe crease (use it for blending out harsh lines in eye makeup and sometimes also as a concealer brush for under the eyes) and eye brow brush (for lining the eye). I use the accent brush sometimes to pack shadow below the waterline. They wash and dry very well, and I have not experienced any shedding. I have used these brushes with powder eye shadows and cream eye shadows as well and they perform well with both textures. I recommend this set.

on 6/26/2015 8:23:00 AM

Extremely usable brushes,I just love these! Here is couple of brushes that can't be found anywhere else.These will propably always be in my beauty kit/routine.Do not shed a bit,very good quality.The domed shadow brush is amazing that comes with these.And also the base shadow brush.Would purchase again :)

on 6/21/2015 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If you're a beginner you will probably have a hard time with this set. I needed some extra brushes for my eye makeup in my collection and Real Techniques never let me down. I own EVERY.SINGLE.BRUSH from their collection and they are cruelty free. This set, however, failed to impress me.

Base Shadow Brush: It's fair to say that I love this brush a little too much! I use it every single day. It applies matte shadows so well and dare I say it, the color payoff is better with this brush. If you have used matte eye shadows before you know that they are usually hard to blend. But this brush makes the blending process seamless. It's the perfect size, you apply the eye shadow and blend the crease at the same time. It actually makes the eye makeup look more professional and airbrushed. If they sold it separately I would definitely buy it.

Deluxe Crease Brush: A lot of people complain that this is not the correct size. But this is a multi-tasker. You can use it to blend your shadow, apply and blend concealer, contouring. Yes contouring, this brush is perfect to get into the hollows of your cheeks and chisel them although you will be needing another brush to blend the contour so it doesn't look harsh. But this really made my contouring easier. But I mainly use it to apply and blend my transition and crease color. I really like building up my product and then blending it with this brush. Again I would TOTALLY buy it if they sold it separately.

Accent Brush: Can be used as a lip brush, can be used for precise detailing, highlighting and smudging. This is a pretty good brush. I use it to apply highlight on my inner corners and to smudge my lower lash line.

Fine Liner Brush: I bought it separately years before I got this set. I do not like this brush. It's way too stiff and thick for a liner brush and it makes my wing look messy and weird. This is definitely not FINE. I don't even touch the one I got with the set.

Brow Brush: This brush was the only reason why I even considered getting this set and I think it's safe to say that this brush disappointed me the most. It's too soft and thick. You cannot fill in your eye brows properly with this brush. You cannot draw separate hair, you cannot fill in tiny gaps. Heck, you cannot use it as an eyeliner brush. Utterly disappointed with this brush.

This set cost me about $23.99. Other than the base shadow brush and the deluxe crease brush I really don't find this set useful.
If they sell base shadow brush and the deluxe brush separately I will buy it. But I will not repurchase again.

on 5/21/2015 12:59:00 PM

Used these brushes for ages and love them very precise and easy too use, all very easy to clean and dry quickly. These brushes are also very soft therefore they don't irritate your eyes

on 5/13/2015 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Talk about undeserved hype. A set of 5 brushes, and only one of them is OK to apply eye make-up with.

The eyeliner brush is the worst eyeliner brush I have ever used. It's so bad I cannot even repurpose it for something else. Just looking at it aggravates me. There is absolutely zero possibility a person who works with make-up had any involvement with designing this.
The brow brush is way too fat and soft. You won't be able to draw individual brow hairs with this or use for eyeliner. If you want your brows to be a solid thick line, this might work.
The base shadow brush doesn't do a good job of applying base shadow.
The deluxe crease brush has a nice shape, but is way too big. It does a fine job of blending out color when used with a light hand, but it is twice the size it should be.
The detailer brush... I guess this works fine as a lip brush, and like the other brushes, it works for concealer. However, I didn't buy these brushes because I want concealer brushes. I bought them because I wanted a starter set of eye brushes, and for that purpose they do a really bad job.

on 4/30/2015 8:14:00 AM

I use only 4 of the 5 out of this set but I really like them.
I bought 3 sets and an individual one all together and I am so happy with all of them.

Popular Makeup Brushes