April 21, 2014 | 952 users online

Palettes - E.L.F. - Essential Little Black Beauty Book

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by shelby1211

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently bought this at my local marshalls for 5 dollars in the cool edition because I just couldn't resist such a good deal. This little beauty book is adorable!

I am so surprised with the quality of this palette! Although the eyeshadows feel a little chalky (especially the shimmers or the sparkly ones), they are all pretty long lasting and have great color payoff. The colors are so fun! I never knew how much I would like fun colors until I tried them out. There are so many colors (48) and this is such a great buy for anyone!

I would happily buy different versions!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2013 1:53:00 PM More reviews by PeggyA

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this palette. I got this for $2 probably at Target. I don't wear frosted or shimmery eye shadows but there are plenty of matte colors. I find myself reaching for this palette almost every day. I use it for both my brows and my eye shadow. I agree that the eye shadows are not huge but I have no trouble using an eye shadow brush to get the exact amount I need and want.

My mom taught me growing up that you get what you pay for but that is not always true for cosmetics. This was the best beauty value purchase for me in 2013. I would not hesitate buying this again, though seriously I think it would take me at least 2-3 years to use up just the matte colors that I love.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 3:16:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

I own several of these little eye shadow beauty books and I have liked them all. I normally go for the ones that have primarily neutral colored eye shadows in them such as the Day and Natural eye shadow books. Yes, these eye shadow books are the size of ones hand. The eye shadows themselves are long lasting and easy to blend as sell. And, I really like tush because the eye shadow book is compact in size, I don't have to worry about it taking a lot of space in my purse either.

I really like them and I definitely will continue to buy more of them in the future.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2013 5:34:00 PM More reviews by jwinter00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is horrible. Yeah there are a lot of eyeshadows but they're soooo tiny. Like I can barely get a brush in there. The pigmentation SUCKS. Like I think the eyeshadows I got from Claire's when I was 12 was better quality than this crap. I got the warm edition and while I like neutrals, these are all pretty much the same color. They're also all incredibly chalk-like, streaky, and just muddy colors. There's tons of fallout and the applicator they gave you is a joke, as most are, but still. There's nothing good about this palette, if you wanna call it that, and you should seriously just save your money and go buy something else.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by xDevochkax

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased the "night" version in hopes it would be good for travelling, but even over a primer there is barely any pigmentation to any given color in this palette. It would make a nice stocking stuffer for a young girl who is just starting out with makeup, but for those who are already skilled it's not worth it by any means.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by ravenska

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

not pigmented at all especially the neutral color, even if i applying it with my finger i have to rub my finger over and over again still it only carry very little product..

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by fartsyartsy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow, straight up wow. I bought this palette on a whim bc it was 5$ and just wanted to see if the shadows would live up to the hype.....and they did. Well....partially...
The shimmery shadows with the exception of 1 had great pigmentation, not too overly shimmery, smooth and buttery, they came out true to color and the colors were all different, not like other cheapie palettes where in the pan they *look* different but swatched in actuality aren't.

Con: the matte colors are terrible, terrrrible. I had to scrape the matte colors with my nail to create a powder/pigment and then swatch, then and only then did the matte colors show up.

The con of the matte colors still isn't enough to warrant a bad review for this palette, I'm almost tempted to buy a backup of this bc there are so many dupes of coveted mac shadows in there woooot

The packaging is adorable too, folds into a little book case type looking thing so it's great for travel

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Dreamer731

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this little black book in the warm addition. I really love the colors of these eyeshadows. They work very well with my skintone. I find that the shimmery eyeshadows tend to work better than the matte colors. I find that the matte colors aren't as pigmented as the shimmery shades. The matte shades also cease more. When I apply eyeshadow primer prior to applying my eyeshadow the colors don't cease and the pigments are more intensified. I also love the design of the case. The small book design is very cute and It's perfect for on the go and traveling. Very convenient and mess free.
I purchased this for just $3.50 at my local T.J. Maxx. So it's a great bargain and a quality eyeshadow. I'm very satisfied with my little black beauty book.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by BarbItalia

This review is for the DAY Palette, #91601 (pictured above) OMG I love this little thing! I bought this online to keep at my SO's house for a broad selection of looks, because the package - a sturdy little black plastic book - is adorable and the shades look like my favorites: Neutrals, warm earthy shades and pink/bronze/plums. It's so beautiful! There's a nice mix of finishes, a really nice matte light/medium flesh tone for blending, a couple shades for my brows, and all are pigmented and smooth. If these shades appeal to you, snag this!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2013 2:13:00 AM More reviews by AlyK89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased this in Warm ages ago in an elf haul. I love this little book! All of the colors are wearable and most of them are nicely pigmented, ESPECIALLY for the price you pay! $5 for all of these colors, sometimes less when ELF is having a massive sale. This book is just full of beautiful neutrals with a few fun colors. I find that when I use a primer with these (I've used both the $1 elf primer and the two-faced primer with identical results), these will stay on ALL day and be on if I fall asleep without taking it off, so all night as well. I find the colors easy to blend. There is a little fallout sometimes, but I've had more fallout from more expensive drugstore brands than this one, and it doesn't bother me. Usually, there isn't any at all.

The darker shades are more pigmented and easy to work with than the lighter shades, as is the case with most cheap eyeshadows. Some are still wfine but you defiantly want to purchase this with the intention of using the darker shades.

The book shape is cute but I think I would like this even more if it was something different. I bought the original and I think there might be more versions of this out now, so I am speaking of the original here - after about a year of having this, the cushiony case has dents and stuff all over it, the mirror is awkward/useless, and the book wont lay completely flat and open. This isn't going to knock a lippie off from me, I'd just prefer another case.