E.L.F. Essential Little Black Beauty Book

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The warm version of this (along with an eye shadow and smudge brush that was included in the box as part of the holiday set) was given to me as a birthday/early Christmas gift from one of my friends who knew I liked many of e.l.f.'s products as well as preferring neutral palettes.

My first impression of this is that the packaging was quite tiny-- about the size of your hand. It closes with a magnet encased within the edges of the "book". And while its size is very travel friendly, I feel like the its design could have included for more shadows if it weren't for the cheap plastic applicator taped at the bottom. As for the size of the pans themselves, I can agree with some other reviewers that it was a bit smaller than what I initially expected, but getting product using the brushes included, ended up just fine.

The colors themselves are very similar to each other from the naked eye, and honestly, it would have been better to review each shade on different individuals to see which ones weren't needed in order to have space for a proper brush (even if it was dual ended and tiny) than a cheap plastic applicator or bigger pans.

I can't say I swatched every eye shadow in the palette, but from what shades I did without a primer, the pigmentation of many of the satin-like shadows ranged from alright to very opaque and beautiful. The textures of the shadows weren't too stiff but some of the shades can be described as slightly chalky, like with a few of the mattes, or have had too much fallout while swatching some of the satin/shimmery shades.

The nicest swatches with the satin finish were the medium~darkest shades. The mattes in this particular palette, overall, had some of the weakest pigmentation and took awhile to build up nicely. This was even worse with the lightest shades, which didn't show up on my skin until I picked up tons of product on the brush and put it directly on my skin. And while it seems like I was exaggerating, it isn't exactly far from the truth in the case with some of the eye shadows.

So who benefits most from this palette? Absolute beginners who want to experiment with various shades and finishes.

In this case, you get what you pay for. I wasn't super impressed with this palette. The colors look so beautiful lined up together, and I can't get over how pretty the shimmers are, but the pigmintaion wasn't that great. I naturally have very oily lids and this eyeshadow creased right when I put it on. I would recommend using a eyeshadow primer before hand. I will still probably get good use this out of this palette. I believe you still could find better for the price.

It defiantly isn't the best eyeshadow but its still cool to have. I like a lot of the browns for days I want more natural looks and for the price its nice to have.

I recently bought this at my local marshalls for 5 dollars in the cool edition because I just couldn't resist such a good deal. This little beauty book is adorable!

I am so surprised with the quality of this palette! Although the eyeshadows feel a little chalky (especially the shimmers or the sparkly ones), they are all pretty long lasting and have great color payoff. The colors are so fun! I never knew how much I would like fun colors until I tried them out. There are so many colors (48) and this is such a great buy for anyone!

I would happily buy different versions!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love this palette. I got this for $2 probably at Target. I don't wear frosted or shimmery eye shadows but there are plenty of matte colors. I find myself reaching for this palette almost every day. I use it for both my brows and my eye shadow. I agree that the eye shadows are not huge but I have no trouble using an eye shadow brush to get the exact amount I need and want.

My mom taught me growing up that you get what you pay for but that is not always true for cosmetics. This was the best beauty value purchase for me in 2013. I would not hesitate buying this again, though seriously I think it would take me at least 2-3 years to use up just the matte colors that I love.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I own several of these little eye shadow beauty books and I have liked them all. I normally go for the ones that have primarily neutral colored eye shadows in them such as the Day and Natural eye shadow books. Yes, these eye shadow books are the size of ones hand. The eye shadows themselves are long lasting and easy to blend as sell. And, I really like tush because the eye shadow book is compact in size, I don't have to worry about it taking a lot of space in my purse either.

I really like them and I definitely will continue to buy more of them in the future.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is horrible. Yeah there are a lot of eyeshadows but they're soooo tiny. Like I can barely get a brush in there. The pigmentation SUCKS. Like I think the eyeshadows I got from Claire's when I was 12 was better quality than this crap. I got the warm edition and while I like neutrals, these are all pretty much the same color. They're also all incredibly chalk-like, streaky, and just muddy colors. There's tons of fallout and the applicator they gave you is a joke, as most are, but still. There's nothing good about this palette, if you wanna call it that, and you should seriously just save your money and go buy something else.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I purchased the "night" version in hopes it would be good for travelling, but even over a primer there is barely any pigmentation to any given color in this palette. It would make a nice stocking stuffer for a young girl who is just starting out with makeup, but for those who are already skilled it's not worth it by any means.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

not pigmented at all especially the neutral color, even if i applying it with my finger i have to rub my finger over and over again still it only carry very little product..

Wow, straight up wow. I bought this palette on a whim bc it was 5$ and just wanted to see if the shadows would live up to the hype.....and they did. Well....partially...
The shimmery shadows with the exception of 1 had great pigmentation, not too overly shimmery, smooth and buttery, they came out true to color and the colors were all different, not like other cheapie palettes where in the pan they *look* different but swatched in actuality aren't.

Con: the matte colors are terrible, terrrrible. I had to scrape the matte colors with my nail to create a powder/pigment and then swatch, then and only then did the matte colors show up.

The con of the matte colors still isn't enough to warrant a bad review for this palette, I'm almost tempted to buy a backup of this bc there are so many dupes of coveted mac shadows in there woooot

The packaging is adorable too, folds into a little book case type looking thing so it's great for travel