November 23, 2014 | 1843 users online

Eyeliner - Ben Nye - Cake eyeliner in black

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2011 4:40:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this, though it doesn't quite qualify as HG material, for me.

I love the fact that Ben Nye black cake eyeliner delivers good pigmentation, but with the softer look of a powder. I'd been using a gel liner, then topping it with a similar color of powder eyeshadow to soften and set. With this cake eyeliner, there's no need for those two steps, plus cake liner is more "forgiving" and is easier to apply than gel. What I really love about this product is the fact that if you moisten your brush with sealer (my favorite is Kryolan cake eyeliner sealer), the liner can be the consistency of ink, so it flows readily on, but when it dies, it looks like a powder.

HOWEVER, with cake eyeliner, one *must* use a liquid sealer to "activate" the liner and make it stay on better. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a sealer that will render this liner waterproof. It stays on well when used with Ben Nye's LiquiSet, but if you get wet or cry, you'll find your eyeliner straying.

Ben Nye black cake eyeliner is cruelty free, good quality, and inexpensive. If it were waterproof, and perhaps a touch more intense, it would be absolutely perfect. I also have this product in Eggplant, and I would buy both again.
ADDENDUM: I am on the verge of needing to repurchase this, and I would like to add that other reviewers' advice about dampening [with sealer] only a small section of your cake eyeliner at a time is absolutely valid.

The areas of the liner that come in contact with the sealer will be hardened and "sealed over," and won't yield as much pigment.

What I do is this: I open my cake eyeliner compact, put a drop of sealer on the inside of the clear lid, thoroughly moisten my brush in the sealer, then quickly wipe the compact lid with a tissue, so that the unused sealer doesn't run back onto the eyeliner once the compact is closed again.
UPDATE: I just repurchased this, and I've found that when I use it with Kryolan's cake eyeliner sealer, it stays like crazy, and the color is more intense.

I thought gel eyeliner was my HG, but I find cake eyeliner easier to apply, less expensive, easier on my brushes, and more flattering.

Since I can get my HG combination of Ben Nye cake liner + Kryolan sealer online, and both products/companies are cruelty-free, I am SOLD! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2011 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Nuppu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

This is the best cake eyeliner or e/l in general when lining lower lashline.I use cake, creams and liquid eyeliners on lower lashline to tightline because of the better staying power.Not on waterline.
It lasts whole long day without fading or smudging at all.
Very easy to apply with different kinds of eyeliner brushes.Tiny bit of water into a brush and line.I am not an expert with eyeliners and I find this very easy.Used about a year,not everyday,but havent hit the bottom of the pan.And black IS black.I just realized that I havent checked on more colours!.I am so stuck using black only!